Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Forgot to thank you both for the muffin recipes. I shall look forward to a new attempt.

Sue, your link went to celeriac remoulade but was interested in your comments re the cases. The recipe sounds much better than the one I had - they would certainly have stuck to the tin! Smitch, interesting comments re cases in your recipe too. Maybe it's just cases which are the problem ( wow, all that cheese!!).

Here's the proper reipe - they did pop out well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chee ... omat_84142

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Thank you Sue. They look lovely. I have made vegan courgette scones which weren't bad but the addition of cheese, egg etc to make muffins looks good (and I've got courgettes waiting to be used!).

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:40 pm

That's a lovely recipe! And it genuinely looks easy .... :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Since people seem interested and I'm messing in Flickr - here are the muffins
Best eaten warm, I just heated 2 for 1 minute alongside some soup in the microwave, this improves the texture & brings out the cheese flavour

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm

they look lovely, Sue!

I´ve just made a lot of my bro´s cheese & bacon scones. Ready to go in the oven as soon as my wife finishes "tidying" the kitchen.
Which could be tomorrow about 4pm. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:49 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Ready to go in the oven as soon as my wife finishes "tidying" the kitchen.
Which could be tomorrow about 4pm.

Is that because she's sorting out the way you've run the kitchen this year while she's not been there :lol: :lol: :gonzo

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: KC
Actually, I´m rather pleased with myself because the kitchen has been maintained very well this year. I´ve kept this washed up, everything put away, worktops cleaned and disinfected, cooker cleaned and polished and kitchen cupboard cleaned out regularly. Thing is, my wife is a "collector" - just loves a fancy jar or a pretty pot or a new-fangled container, so the place is riddled with useless bits & pieces from the Stone Age :gonzo :gonzo

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:04 pm

karadekoolaid wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: KC
Actually, I´m rather pleased with myself because the kitchen has been maintained very well this year. I´ve kept this washed up, everything put away, worktops cleaned and disinfected, cooker cleaned and polished and kitchen cupboard cleaned out regularly. Thing is, my wife is a "collector" - just loves a fancy jar or a pretty pot or a new-fangled container, so the place is riddled with useless bits & pieces from the Stone Age :gonzo :gonzo

:lol: :lol: I guess she would have noticed if you'd dispensed with some of those Stone Age items while she was absent ;)

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:09 pm

New cake today, carrot loaf cake :yum .
Attachments
P1004207 1.jpg
P1004207 1.jpg (315.21 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
P1004208 1.jpg
P1004208 1.jpg (332.63 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm

ooo oooo ooooo :yum :yum :yum :yum looks gorgeous, slim

I'm always a bit reluctant to make the incredibly sweet topping on carrot cakes - or perhaps I've only ever seen oversugared recipes!

Neat cake container, too! Is that a standard-ish 2lb loaf size?

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Isn't it an upside down lid from a plastic lock&lock container? :D

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:50 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:ooo oooo ooooo :yum :yum :yum :yum looks gorgeous, slim

I'm always a bit reluctant to make the incredibly sweet topping on carrot cakes - or perhaps I've only ever seen oversugared recipes!

Neat cake container, too! Is that a standard-ish 2lb loaf size?

Cheers KC2. I really like the cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake. Don't know how this one would rate sweetness-wise, to me it's not overly sweet but that is always a matter of personal taste.

It is a 2lb loaf cake, ever-so slightly wider and shallower than some made in other tins I use, however it's a good container for both cake sizes/shape. It's an inverted Lock&Lock 3.4L (according to what is stamped on the box itself) rectangular with dividers, removed for cake storage obviously. I got mine from Lakeland but I can't find it on their site, I bought it in store and it didn't show online then either even though I did originally see it online at Lakeland.

ETA: Well spotted Pampy. We cross posted :D .

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Yesterday daughter asked if I could make something for her to take to a friends birthday celebration (the friend is a homeless guy who 'lives' in her local nature reserve that she visits on a regular basis. M is known to all the regulars) I hadn't made my Mum's tea bread for ages and also wanted to see if my newly re-found recipe for Apple Slice was as nice as I remembered it. So last night I made a start on the prep - the fruit for the tea bread needed to soak in tea overnight. This morning I weighed out the ingredients. The tea bread needed to be baked for about and hour .. that went in first while I put the apple slice ingredients together .. that needed 45 minutes...

Oh, I had also already started on a moussaka yesterday too.

So, today I have baked Tea Bread, Apple Slice, Moussaka and made Bread & Butter Pickle ...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Pat, you must be exhausted! I got tired reading your post!!

Hope the cakes worked out as you wished!

Thanks for the actual size of the container, slim, it's good to know what to look for. Loaf tins can vary so much. My 2lb one is a Circulon one I got at JL years ago. I don't know what happened to my original loaf tins I had in my 20s - maybe I had to chuck them because they had got rusty or they disappeared in one of the house moves.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:50 am

I made Cheese and Courgette muffins from Sue's recipe (scroll further back). I didn't use cases but greased the muffin tin well and they were a great success. I used tomato as suggested in half of them but think I prefer them without. Thank you Sue, nice to be able to recommend to others!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:42 am

OOOf, slim - that looks divine!
I made several attempts at a carrot cake a few months ago, total disaster. The butter icing was all floppy. Never mind - the sweetness of the gunge I put on top sort of saved the day.
If I ever entered the Great British Bake Off, they´d probably kick me out before I even got through the door :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 am

Put your feet up, Patsy and have a slice of Slimp's carrot cake.

I don't stand a chance in the Bake Off. Over bake cakes - that's me.

Must make those muffins, they sound excellent.

I've got rhubarb in. I cannot resist it on the shelves.
I always bake it with orange juice as a yoghurt compote.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:21 am

Earthmaiden wrote:I made Cheese and Courgette muffins from Sue's recipe (scroll further back). I didn't use cases but greased the muffin tin well and they were a great success. I used tomato as suggested in half of them but think I prefer them without. Thank you Sue, nice to be able to recommend to others!

I'm looking forward to trying those muffins - I just need a courgette . They only had them in packs of 3 when I was last at Tesco, none loose :( :roll:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:38 am

KeenCook2 wrote:Pat, you must be exhausted! I got tired reading your post!!

Hope the cakes worked out as you wished!

Actually once I had weighed out the ingredients and got organised, it was easy. While they were baking I finished off the B&B pickle and then later in the day, I made up the bechamel sauce, fried off the aubergine and then layered up the moussaka.. the lamb had already been cooked and there was plenty of (leftover) potatoes.

And the 2 cakes were both perfect :thumbsup I had to do a testing of course :yum The recently 'un-lost' recipe for the apple slice tasted much better than the sub I had found when it was lost ;)

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:19 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:And the 2 cakes were both perfect I had to do a testing of course The recently 'un-lost' recipe for the apple slice tasted much better than the sub I had found when it was lost

:thumbsup :thumbsup :clap :clap

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox