Register

Ocado/M&S online deliveries

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ocado/M&S online deliveries

Postby smitch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:50 am

I think it is across the board, Pampy. Waitrose recently extended their delivery area and now include my town. I’ve only ordered a couple of times to get things we like Ocado no longer stock but it was free delivery with a £40 minimum for the mid-week slot I chose.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:41 pm

I've just been finalising my Sainsburys click & collect order for tomorrow and noticed the site gave dates when it will be offering Christmas slots for deliveries.

For delivery:
20th Dec - book from 29th Nov
21st Dec - book from 30th Nov
22nd Dec - book from 1st Dec
23rd Dec - book from 2nd Dec

No mention of 24th Dec. Don't know if those with special passes etc will get preferential treatment.

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm

We use Ocado as, for us, it's the one we get far fewer substitutions or no shows. Not at all impressed with M&S stuff but still using Ocado.

We would move to Waitrose but the store our area falls under for deliveries is rubbish. Daughter lives a few miles away and comes under a different branch, so much better. We can get click and collect from this branch and have decided we will do a shop this way every so often to get the Waitrose specific items in bulk.

We can and do also use Morrisons for some things we either prefer from there or can't get elsewhere.

Roll on being able to shop as we used to (but I won't hold my breath)!

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:59 pm

I am finding it impossible to get an Ocado slot. Ah well.

Postby Busybee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:43 pm

After three hours in a virtual queue I have managed to get a Tesco delivery for the 22nd December, a most frustrating experience but hey ho.

BB

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:36 pm

I've booked a slot for 28 Nov. I suppose what happens after lockdown is ended from 3 Dec will affect availability after that, if future slots aren't already fully booked by then!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Booking fresh stuff weeks in advance is a non-starter for me - how can you? - and there's surely a limit to how many "cupboard staples" households want, assuming no east wing or bunker being filled up.

If more people do feel able to shop locally in person after 3 Dec, it could make a difference by both smaller loads (=more deliveries possible) or cancellations, although the latter is unlikely once a prized slot has been acquired.

It was in the news that Mr Johnson was "bounced" into this lockdown by the leak that one was imminent even though he hadn't decided that a countrywide one was necessary given variable numbers by area. A problem is fear that lockdown might simply be extended . A few more sleepless nights ahead for online grocers trying to meet demand.

Postby Busybee » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Jeral you don’t actually have to do the full shop when you secure a slot, just put a couple of things, I usually put bananas and apples, in your basket and go through the checkout. This secures you the slot, you can then go back into the order and update it right up to midnight the day before your delivery is due. This means that you don’t actually do the majority of the shop until the last minute.

I appreciate that it might seem as faff, but I’ve been having weekly deliveries for months, it’s actually cheaper than me doing the 30 mile round trip to the supermarket, and I’ve just got into the swing of it. I’m also finding that I spend less.

Whilst I always thought an online delivery was a bit of a luxury, I’ve found that it’s actually a good way to shop when you live a long way from a decent commercial centre.

I use our local weekly market for bread, cheese and eggs.

BB

Postby herbidacious » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Thing is if many more shop go locally in person, there will be queues to get in. As things stand, it's hard to social distance in our local Sainsbury's and a high percentage of people pull their masks down once they are in the shop. It's usually bedlam in the run up to Christmas. I really don't have the energy to queue for an hour and then go shopping. At the moment it's an effort to walk up the stairs...

I have a few Christmas luxuries on order from M&S... I don't really need to do a big shop as I am not really doing Christmas but will need some food.

This has made me go and look what the situation is for my mother. Earliest delivery slot is 22nd. I will book it for her. I suspect it won't be soon enough.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Have never used Waitrose delivery, mainly because I’m happy with Ocado as and when I need it, but I was impressed with them tonight. A knock on the door and a Waitrose delivery man asked if I could vouch for next door because there wasn’t an adult in the house - Elliott is 15 and Charlotte 13. They are Finnish and very mature and sensible so I said yes. Thought it was lovely the delivery man checked. Hope it doesn’t come back to haunt me,

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 pm

Just been looking for a specific herbal teabag on the Asda site and came across this product:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/herb ... 0140068912

I've never come across this before. Does anyone know what it's like? Out of curiosity I'm tempted to get a box but don't want to risk it - if, for instance, it's anything like rooibos tea I'll almost certainly dislike it!

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:23 am

If you google cerassie there seem to be a number of results that claim various health benefits. None that I have looked at have any corroboration and some are obviously spurious. There was also one that said that there is speculation about liver damage with long and continuous use. It seems that it is very bitter so doesn't sound particularly pleasant to me.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 am

I have never seen it before.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am

I can't acquire a taste for bitter melon. No idea if the leaves are bitter as the fruit. In some quarters there's a belief that bitter foods have got cleansing properties. Doubtless those people could tell you what that means, but as far as I'm concerned, the only gourd with cleansing properties is a luffa...

We gave Waitrose online a second go in November after they cocked up in the Spring. Again they sent us something we didn't ask for and failed to send something we did. Not a substitution but another picking error - we didn't get what was supposed to be on the delivery. Again what was sent was of lower value than what we were charged for. This time around we didn't complain, but will not use them again. If we want something from them we'll wait until it's safe for Mrs B or I to visit a shop.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Article here says that the leaves and hence the tea contain the same bitter phenolic substances as the bitter melon (Karelia) so I think it would be pretty punchy. Like the fruit it is claimed to be good for the cardiovascular system and to reduce “inflammation”
I am sceptical

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health ... 12057.html

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:33 pm

I had my first (and last) Morrisons online delivery yesterday. I have been trying to buy a couple of bottles of their own gold medal winning champagne which has been out of stock since it won the medal. It came back in stock so I ordered other things too. About an hour before the delivery was due, I got an email saying that the champagne was unavailable, along with a couple of other things (no substitutes offered) - grr... When I took delivery, I found that bananas had been packed at the bottom of a bag with tins in it so of course, they were damaged. Mushrooms look like a slug had had a party with them; "easy peelers" were mouldy and rotten; spring onions look dried up, despite being in a sealed cellophane bag. When I was placing the order, I was surprised at how limited the range was - eg they didn't sell root ginger. Not for me, I'm afraid, which is a shame as Morrisons seems to be the easiest to get convenient delivery slots from.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:47 pm

What a rotten experience, Pampy. You should get refunds - they must have a mechanism for that - if you can face it! And know that you'll never use them again!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Round here, the produce in the shops seems similar to your description too. Some years ago they were really nice stores but seem to have gone downhill.

I did click and collect from Sainsburys earlier. Usually the staff are so careful and thoughtful with social distancing etc. The man today was anything but, I am debating whether or not to lodge a complaint.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm

...and another thing! I've just looked at my credit card account and it's still showing the Morrisons transaction which includes the undelivered items - about £40 more than the actual cost. I know about pre-delivery transactions (to ensure that you have adequate funds in your account) but every other online supermarket that I've used always post the correct order value very quickly - Morrisons apparently not. I've just spoken to customer services who inform me that it will take 3-5 days for the amount to be corrected. Now I'm fortunately not in the position for this to cause me any problems but just imagine if I was living hand-to-mouth (which I'm sure a lot of families are facing at present) - that £40 wouldn't be available to me until Morrisons got their act in order. That could make the difference between someone being able to feed their family or not. :evil: :evil:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox