Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:08 am

There was a time when our goose was roasted with stuffing in it, which was a lot of stuffing, then a phase of filling the cavity with champ, which had the advantage of making the best ever bubble and squeak. I make stuffing balls these days, whether roasting a fowl or a loin of pork.

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 am

A number of years ago, there was a JO recipe for "make ahead" gravy for Christmas dinner. It's very much like the one that PP posted a link to but also used a turkey drumstick. It made lovely gravy but as I'm usually cat/house sitting for my sis these days, I haven't made it for a while.

Dennis - spot on! :lol: :lol: I've never understood why making a Christmas dinner causes so much fear and dread.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:32 am

smitch wrote:I love Paxo. I actually prefer it to ‘proper’ stuffing :oops:

You’re not alone, I love it as well. To me it tastes better if it’s cooked in the bird rather than in a separate dish. Have tried others but always gone back to Paxo.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 am

Pampy wrote:A number of years ago, there was a JO recipe for "make ahead" gravy for Christmas dinner. It's very much like the one that PP posted a link to but also used a turkey drumstick. It made lovely gravy but as I'm usually cat/house sitting for my sis these days, I haven't made it for a while.

Dennis - spot on! :lol: :lol: I've never understood why making a Christmas dinner causes so much fear and dread.

Two years ago the family shared the experience. Axel and I made fine boar goulash with red wine, potato dumplings and amaretto and marzipan filled apples, his Ex made beef olives (both meat dishes came with lashings of gravy) and Axel's son hosted the show and made a wonderful dessert.
It all worked out splendidly.

Postby Kacey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:19 pm

I like Paxo too! I sometimes make up a pack just to have on a butty with mayo and lettuce. But I also like the sage and onion stuffing recipe in Delia's Christmas, the one she uses in the parsnip roulade.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Browsing through recipes for Christmas dinner I came across this, I think I may well give it a try, if we are going to pig out, why not
Potato, Beetroot, Celeriac |Gratin.
https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/rec ... ot-gratin/

Postby Suelle » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:10 pm

Hickybank wrote:Browsing through recipes for Christmas dinner I came across this, I think I may well give it a try, if we are going to pig out, why not

I'd like that, but neither of my children would!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby mark111757 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Growing up st Turkey time the birds had stuffing in the chest cavity and we never got sick. I would do what JO did in one Christmas epi and put a thin layer of stuffing in the cavity and the rest in a casserole dish on the side. I don't recall if the family cooks did the neck flap or not.

I remember someone saying, don't recall exactly who but the meal could rate a 10 but if the gravy is naff, the meal is shot.I felt there was more than a large bit of truth to that.

Jeral......those fixins sound good to me. Talk of yorkies, I made nigellas crustless pizza many times and it always turned out well. Puffed up like a charm. Seemed like that was either or close to yorkie batter. Found a recipe for stuffed mushrooms that sounded good. Seems like a lot of choices.

Gotta include mashed taters. My bro and I would always look for lumps and comment on how the lumps added flavour and taste. Even when done up with a masher or hand mixer.

Garlic on my christmas plate, wrap a bulb in tin foil and roast in the oven. Before you do cut off the top so when the garlic is soft and sweet squeeze it out onto good bread. Sounds like a good appetizer. Hmmmmmmm

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:24 pm

I see that Andi Oliver is advertising the new series of The Great British Menu on BBC. Not sure how many rounds there are but it’s focussed on Christmas eating.

https://www.thecaterer.com/news/great-b ... -menu-2020

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Andi lives on my road (it's a long one), I see her around & about with her daughter

That really looks like Christmas fun, though much as I like Kerry Godliman I'd see her more as presenter and Andi more as judge, does Kerry have any foodie credentials?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Suelle wrote:
Hickybank wrote:Browsing through recipes for Christmas dinner I came across this, I think I may well give it a try, if we are going to pig out, why not

I've saved that ... I'll send you a portion once I've made it Suelle ;)

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:15 pm

(Paxo Stuffing)You’re not alone, I love it as well.

Count me in.
My mum never stuffed the chickens or turkeys; the Paxo was always served as round balls of stuffing on the side.

Postby Suelle » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:58 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Suelle wrote:

I've saved that ... I'll send you a portion once I've made it Suelle ;)

:thumbsup
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby dennispc » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:25 am

Despite posting that funny stuff about Christmas, I disagree with most of it. Many years ago I realised that what made many dishes complete was the liquid (sauce, gravy, jus) that went with it. At Christmas it was enjoyable to get a kg of chicken wings from the butchers to make stock and then the gravy. A couple of hours? I’d spend a couple of days.

Though I agree it’s a fairly easy meal to produce.

As far as possible kids/grandkids sat with us, though that depended on total numbers.

In our family never a problem getting help with washing up.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:54 pm

OFM today has Christmas recipes in. Giorgio Locatelli has contributed this. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... cotta-cake

I want that cake!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Me too, PP!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:23 pm

How much food can Italians eat - 100g of smoked salmon each + mayonnaise dressed salad as a starter :o

Postby Hickybank » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:How much food can Italians eat - 100g of smoked salmon each + mayonnaise dressed salad as a starter :o

Quite a lot I assume, have you ever seen a slim 50 year old Italian

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Hickybank wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:How much food can Italians eat - 100g of smoked salmon each + mayonnaise dressed salad as a starter :o

Quite a lot I assume, have you ever seen a slim 50 year old Italian

yes, loads - for example my mother's pin up, Francsco da Mosta, Giorgio himself, Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale.. they go either skinny or chubby

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:00 pm

I think all those recipes look good. Quite rare that I see recipes in such articles which all appeal. I have no idea of the weight of a 'normal' starter portion of smoked salmon but could easily adjust accordingly when serving!

The cake appeals least. I would prefer it without chocolate.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox