Register

Ocado/M&S online deliveries

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Ocado/M&S online deliveries

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm also getting fed up, Kacey.

So many items are out of stock or disappeared from the shop all together. I'm also getting more missing items than I used to have.

I'll stick with them for now as I'm limited for options round here. I have had one Waitrose delivery and have another this week but a lot of their stuff had short expiry dates. I also have an Asda click and collect next week but I don't want to use them on a regular basis.

Postby Kacey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi Smitch

Its a pain isn't it? I've always loved Ocado because of the shopping from a warehouse aspect. Its usually meant you got pretty much what you'd ordered. I've been more than happy with them till now. I can even live with the M&S tie in rather than Waitrose (apart from M&S soya milk which is horrible). But if basic items are out of stock for several weeks or more, then its more than a nuisance. I would have thought they'd had enough time to sort themselves out after the switch.

Both Asda and Tesco have bee disappointments in the past and Sainsburys is just too expensive for no real reason that I can see.

I'm fed up now!

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm

I'm not experiencing out of stock issues with Ocado (although as I've said earlier, the ranges are getting smaller). I wonder if the problems are due to supply issues at specific warehouses, rather than across the board?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Honestly I wonder if the issues are with M&S being too ill prepared in the first place, their recent track record is dreadful.

Postby Kacey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:00 pm

I can put up with a few things being out of stock, and I was prepared for teething problems, but I don't fee it acceptable to have no reasonably priced brands of half a dozen or so of my regular items, yet an excessive amount of the same item in various expensive ranges.

If I want expensive fancy pants pasta, then I'd probably buy it from an online deli where I could get other unusual goodies.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Well, I stayed up after 12 last night to see what happened on the Asda website.
There was full availability up to the 19th December.

When I looked again this morning, availability was still up to the 19th but a lot of the mornings during that week had already been booked up. I guess the 20th-24th December will come online on 6th November when deliveries open up for non-delivery pass holders.

Anyway, I booked for the afternoon of the 19th. If I happen to get something on the 23rd I'll change it. If not, it doesn't matter. I bulked up the order with a couple of bottles of wine so it made the minimum delivery amount.

A friend did her Christmas shop on Asda online last year and unfortunately had some mistakes and inappropriate subs, so it's really down to luck, I guess. But as we'll have to pick up our meat from the Little Waitrose at the end of the road on the 24th anyway, we should be able to pick up anything absolutely crucial then.

I'm very pleased that's sorted :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Ha, me again! Having been glad I got the Asda delivery on the 19th Dec, I've now got one on the 23rd, which is better, so I can cancel the 19th.
I just had a look o n the site and the 23rd is now full but there are still lots of deliveries available from 5pm on 22nd and on the previous days - in case anyone wants/needs to get in there!

Postby Pampy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:00 pm

I would imagine that those you can see will be specific to your area, not nationwide.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Good point Pampy, hadn't thought of that :oops: Doh :oops: I'll get my coat :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:24 pm

It could be Nationwide. Someone's just posted on my local FB page saying Asda has just released slots right up until Christmas!

Postby jeral » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:35 pm

They'll be like trying to get premier league football tickets. Sold out in under a minute. I'm amazed that all the websites of such supermarkets don't crash with zillions mashing the "Refresh" button every two seconds...

Postby smitch » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:57 pm

I’ve just booked a click and collect at Asda for 23rd December and they also had Christmas Eve available.

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:24 am

Earthmaiden wrote:It could be Nationwide. Someone's just posted on my local FB page saying Asda has just released slots right up until Christmas!

Can't see how it can be - what would it show if a slot was booked up in one area but available in another? And I'm pretty sure that you have to be logged in to book a slot

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:36 am

I meant that local Asda stores nationwide seemed to have released slots up until Christmas. I.e. that it was a company-wide decision, not a local one.

Yes, of course you'd need to be logged in to claim a slot.

I have, in past years, booked Christmas slots with Sainsburys at this time of year. Somehow it doesn't feel fair this year when people have a lot to contend with before thinking about Christmas but I suppose it is.

Postby dennispc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:11 pm

This morning's Sainsbury's delivery was a minute early! They were out of raw beetroot and there was no alternative. Sensible.

Once we broke through there system way back in March, their weekly delivery has worked fine. Occasionally substitutions, but receive an email before it arrives so easy to return. Been able to book next week's slot already.

Couldn't get a slot with Waitrose for months so now don't bother.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Living as we do with no Ocado or Waitrose deliveries, we have started using Sainsbury’s deliveries. I couldn’t be more pleased. Always on time, lovely delivery staff and only a couple of substitutes. It’s so much less stressful
Living right beside the Lake District boundary, and with the hotel and restaurant businesses closed, I was concerned about the local essential wholesaler delivery company. However Caterite have come up with a brilliant solution. They have started a click and collect system for the public. Two of my children use it. I’m staying with Sainsbury’s only because I’m frightened of losing my spot in case Brexit goes horribly wrong in the new year.

Postby dennispc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

I’m staying with Sainsbury’s only because I’m frightened of losing my spot in case Brexit goes horribly wrong in the new year.

Us too cherrytree, you are not alone, though we're doing it to make Christmas easier, Waitrose would be our preference.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Today's Sainsbury delivery was mostly ok, although I was disappointed that they substituted semolina for the Dunn's River polenta I'd ordered, when they could have subbed their own brand, which is, admittedly, a bit more expensive. Or maybe they didn't have any of that either.
No kefir, and no Christmas almond biscuits :( or coriander seeds.

It was nice to be able to get some more interesting things than the usual selection at Asda, although for the most part, the prices are higher at Sainsbury's, sometimes double. I think I may try keeping them once every 3 weeks or a month for the "treats" or the things Asda simply doesn't do, like fresh butternut squash and cooking apples, and doing Asda in between. I managed to get a 50p delivery slot; the cheapest I can get at Asda seems to be £1.75.

I think it was smitch? who mentioned that more was available on the Asda app than online? I really don't want to download the app and use my phone for shopping, I need the flexibility and the decent screen size of my laptop. Also we wouldn't be able to do click & collect as there isn't an Asda for miles. As far as I know it's Clapham Junction in one direction and Park Royal somewhere up the North Circular in the other direction!

I appreciate we are fortunate in having so many options here - that said, it would be a long wait for a Waitrose delivery :lol:

Postby smitch » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Yes it was me who mentioned the Asda app. Could you do the main shop on your computer and just check for things you can’t find on the app? I can get both butternut squash and cooking apples from my local Asda and it isn’t a particularly great branch.

We only do click and collect as it is free over £25 and there is a small ‘supermarket’ version a short drive from our house. The larger branch, which is where I assume the shopping actually comes from, is awful for click and collect- we waited over 45 minutes last time we went.

Postby Pampy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:15 am

I saw something in the press today about currently Ocado being the most expensive supermarket. Aldi was the cheapest, followed by Lidl.
Have noticed that Waitrose minimum order value has dropped to £40 and delivery is still free. Not sure if this is because I'm on their priority list or whether it's across the board.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox