Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:19 am

yes, green and black's is good, forgot about that; i haven't bought any for yonks - since the arrival of the lidl salted caramel one.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am

Green & Blacks would be much easier to get hold of, might give that a try first.

Not too sure about the Paul A Young one, probably the instructions saying best to make it with water!

Thank you all :thumbsup .

Postby herbidacious » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:30 pm

I was bought one of those hot chocolate makers from Hotel Chocolat which came with quite a lot of Hotel Chocolat hot choc, whic is essentially chocolat flakes. I haven't really tried anythign else to compate though. It's cetainly nice.

As to the 'Velvetiser', well... it doesn't make very hot hot chocolate but it's quite fun. Would be an utter indulgence if it had not been a gift.

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:05 pm

i looked at the 'velvetiser' and thought it might be a little too far up the 'cupboard clutter' stakes to warrant (i already have, almost, too many ways to make coffee).
am i right that it looks/works just like a milk frother?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow, definitely a gadget I wouldn't use much but looks good! How hot is posh hot chocolate supposed to be (as in a scale of cold, lukewarm, hot, boiling)?. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't quite hot.

Postby jeral » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:04 pm

halfateabag wrote:I am toying with the idea of cider vinegar as a beverage, I think you dilute it and add something else...... ...[clip].../

My mum swore by it for her rheumatism and would mix it with a squeeze of Jif lemon and teaspoon of honey, made hot enough to melt the honey in, then drank it hot or cold.

ACV is the best in tests for bringing rust off screws, so definitely better to go down the diluted route methinks.

Postby Renee » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 am

I use about a tablespoon in a large glass of slightly warm water ... when I remember, that is. I think it is supposed to reduce cholesterol too.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am

My bro has just sent me a bottle of my favourite single malt - Laphroiag.
I am officially in heaven!

Postby smitch » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 am

karadekoolaid wrote:My bro has just sent me a bottle of my favourite single malt - Laphroiag.
I am officially in heaven!

Lovely, hope you enjoy it! I’ve got a new bottle of Ardbeg which I’m looking forward to opening.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 am

One of the antiques programmes (I think) had a feature on how good Japanese whisky is. Am not a drinker of it but wondered whether it was true.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:27 pm

I’ve got a new bottle of Ardbeg

You are definitely a hardcore Islay fan then, Smitch. Ardbeg is the smokiest of all the Islay whiskies!

Pepper: Japanese whiskies are very good indeed. They´re not necessarily the same flavours as Scotch, because some companies use other grains instead of barley - but they´re good. They´re also expensive!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:48 pm

It seems you can pay an awful amount of money for Japanese whisky
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/35/ ... ist-filter

Postby smitch » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:13 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
I’ve got a new bottle of Ardbeg

You are definitely a hardcore Islay fan then, Smitch. Ardbeg is the smokiest of all the Islay whiskies!

Pepper: Japanese whiskies are very good indeed. They´re not necessarily the same flavours as Scotch, because some companies use other grains instead of barley - but they´re good. They´re also expensive!

I used to hate Islay whisky and thought it tasted like TCP. One Christmas we opened a 750ml sharing bottle of Laphroaig barrel aged stout and it completely changed my opinion :lol:

I tried a Japanese whisky at a tiny bar down a random side street in Verona! I’ve not had any since, the price has increased massively in recent years due to its popularity making it scarce.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:50 pm

halfateabag wrote:I am toying with the idea of cider vinegar as a beverage, I think you dilute it and add something else...... I read somewhere that it 'cleans' your intestines. I am on the waggon (again) my choice until my blood tests have been taken on the 16th.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-h ... r-vinegar/

You might get some ideas from this Zosh.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... er-vinegar

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Zosh, if you want to clean your intestines, just add 6 Sainsbury´s green finger chiles to your next meal.
they´ll clean out anything!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Smitch:
I used to hate Islay whisky and thought it tasted like TCP. One Christmas we opened a 750ml sharing bottle of Laphroaig barrel aged stout and it completely changed my opinion

Islay whisky is definitely an acquired taste, and Ardbeg/Laphroaig are the most radical! I think it´s just a case of getting used to it, rather than rejecting it out of hand on the first tasting. I bought a bottle of Laphroaig for the first time in, I imagine, 1996. Brought it home, read the tasting notes, tried it, said to myself " OMG what on earth have I bought here". Then I tried it again a week or so later; I was getting used to it. It´s now my absolute favourite. A bit like retsina in Greece.
I visited the distillery in 2001 and am, officially, a "Member" of the Laphroaig community,"owner" of 1 sq ft of land there. Any time I go, they pay me "rent" - which is a miniature bottle of Laphroaig!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 am

For some reason I prefer Caol Isla to Laphroaig

Whichever phenolic tickle your taste buds (not that I turn down any of the others)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:04 am

I love Islay whisky, have done ever since I first tried Lagavulin whilst wardening ospreys in the 80s. Probably still my favourite, although like Sue, I'll not turn down any of the others. A lot of distilleries are marketing different 'expressions', for instance I particularly like Laphroiag Quarter cask. Caol Isla is also close to my heart as it was the last bottle my Mum ever gave me. It tastes good as well though.

On Jura a couple of years ago I had an interesting time trying a few different styles of their whisky.

Postby smitch » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Pre-lockdown, we went to a couple of brilliant whisky tasting evenings organised by someone who runs a store that has its own bottlings and expressions. It was a great opportunity to try whisky that is way out of our price range as some of the stuff he shared was several hundred pounds a bottle. I was amazed at the difference a tiny drop of water could make to some styles yet didn't work as well for others. I really hope he is able to run the sessions again in the not too distant future.

I've never visited a distillery but would really like to.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:40 pm

We have never visited Islay, which is potty given our various interests and Mrs B having lived in Oban in another life. It's very much on the bucket list.

I've been to a small handful of distilleries, mostly on islands - Highland Park, Tobermory, Oban & Jura. We have got friends who live a couple of miles from Glenmorangie (yet that's not their nearest :D ), but we haven't got to either of those. Rather as with curries, I'm happy with all styles of whisky; my choice just depends upon what I fancy on any given day.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff