Register

Chatterbox

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Chatterbox

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:12 pm

scullion wrote:i'm the one who reads the instructions...

Ne'er a truer word was spoken :D

Postby Rainbow » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:28 am

And Me! Always do. Can't understand why others don't :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Going back to masks and covidiots
Did anyone see Mark Drakeford on BBC Breakfast yesterday?

I paraphrase, but his message was don't try to push boundaries, just think how you can contribute to the welfare of all.

I wonder if the people of Wales might consider a swap.

Postby Suffs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Rainbow wrote:

And Me! Always do. Can't understand why others don't :lol:

Many years ago my now ex (a carpenter/builder) was fitting a kitchen for his sister ... she phoned me as he was huffin and puffin and couldn't get it right ... I went up the road to her place, took the instructions and diagram out of the bin and flattened them out and told him to follow them ... the kitchen was finished that evening :roll:

Postby halfateabag » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 am

When the clocks change, he does the manual ones. I have a clock that projects onto the ceiling in the bedroom. It is controlled from 'somewhere' in the UK and does not need changing.

This autumn clocks going back was hilarious..... He forgot, then when he finally remembered he put them all forward.... :lol: :lol: :lol: by 8pm he had finally sorted them (and his own body clock) out.

As a youngster I used to be confused... until the rhyme appeared...... Fall back, Spring forward.....

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:13 pm

I always use the rhyme too zosh.
I can do all my clocks but the horrible one is a small, cheap, children's alarm clock I bought in Sainsburys for GD to tell the time (as most of my clocks seem to either have just the 3,6,9 and 12 Roman numerals or be digital). The dial thing to move the hands is inside the casing which is held together with teeny screws which are hard to see and need the screwdriver set I got in a cracker to remove. There is an alarm which can be set too - imagine fiddling about like that every time you set the alarm! :evil:.

Postby scullion » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:18 pm

i always use the phrase the other way round - the way they would occur in the year - and also because as a mental picture it would be difficult to spring forward after you'd fallen back!

Postby dennispc » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:31 pm

We have a digital clock in our bedroom, which is linked to a station in Rugby. It's now eight minutes slow - as it was before it changed the clock. At one time it was only five minutes slow. Does Rugby have a different time zone? :lol:

We have a weather station display in the kitchen. Temperature inside and out, air pressure plus the pressure over the past six hours, humidity and what the weather is outside - sun, rain, cloud, though when it's full moon it shows full sun! It's German, OK to set up until it came to different time zones.

Eventually, after numerous attempts, me reading the instructions (doesn't happen often) and OH pressing the buttons. Currently, it's an hour slow, as it was before the the clocks went back!

Plugged into the mains, it has a very colourful and bright display.

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Not surprised dennispc: I had a radio clock years ago which I lost so looked on Amazon and found most had reviews describing weird antics; in fact I couldn't find one intended for use in the UK or being successfully used here.

My new one (Robert Dyas) is fine. Or was, until the changeover, when it reset to 12noon. That was my lack of shortsightedness as I know it will only find the signal in certain places, though once signal is found, it can be placed anywhere.

The worst thing about changing a wall clock is wondering if there'll be spiders or cobwebs behind that'll make me go Eek! and drop it :oops:

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm reminded of a book called Lazometrics from years ago when callisthenics became all the rage.

One arm exercise was: Raise right arm whist lying on bed, pick up alarm clock when it goes off, hurl against wall. Repeat next day with new alarm clock and using left arm.

Another was to hold underpants(*) open with hands and jump into them, avoiding last night's bucket (stale KFC, or worse content if after a night out).
(*) Boxer shorts. Not Speedos ;)

Postby Grasshopper » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:11 pm

I did most of our clocks - except a couple who altered by themselves.
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:58 am

dennispc wrote:We have a digital clock in our bedroom, which is linked to a station in Rugby. It's now eight minutes slow - as it was before it changed the clock. At one time it was only five minutes slow. Does Rugby have a different time zone? :lol:

We have a weather station display in the kitchen. Temperature inside and out, air pressure plus the pressure over the past six hours, humidity and what the weather is outside - sun, rain, cloud, though when it's full moon it shows full sun! It's German, OK to set up until it came to different time zones.

Eventually, after numerous attempts, me reading the instructions (doesn't happen often) and OH pressing the buttons. Currently, it's an hour slow, as it was before the the clocks went back!

Plugged into the mains, it has a very colourful and bright display.

The time transmitter in Rugby closed in 2007 and the service was moved to Anthorn near Carlisle. Maybe your clock isn't very good on geography! :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am

Shed's arrived and been assembled by the pros.
They were fantastic, and like Aero - I would recommend anyone use this company, if they are looking for an outside wooden thing.

We laid the plastic grid and gravel for the base a month ago - which they declared as "perfect" when they arrived. (I had to stop Tony building a bunker - twas only supposed to be 10cms down)

They had the sides up, by the time I'd brewed the tea.

Completed in a little over an hour at 3pm. Chirpy from start to finish: a delightful team at Easy Sheds of Birmingham.

We won't need to paint it this year, it's treated. But next year, perhaps we will.
As I'm making it into a temporary workshop where I can sew and paint, we have to insulate it inside, and put up obs panels inside too. A fun project, and I do like getting those power tools out.
Tony oversees, and I get stuck in.

Guttering is required too, thanks for the tip, Will. And a path of plastic grid with pebble infill at the door is also required - it's muddy mud at the moment! And a padlock.
Electrics - is it OK just to feed an outdoor extension cable, 2 x plug, from the garage socket 12 meters away? What do you think?

I haven't decided on my flooring yet.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am

How exciting!

Postby smitch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:55 am

Good to have a recommendation for a shed company. We demolished our rickety old one when we had the water leak and at some point I want to replace it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, should be fun too, EM.

Aero used them, Smitch. He ordered the Beast, I went for the middle option (of 3).
I'm fitting mine out to become a temporary 6mth workshop, until our extension is built. I looked at the usual garden places for sheds, and this is higher quality. I went for 7foot x 5 = just right.
After the rain last evening, I cannot see any water entry at all either. Good sign.

There's a 12 - 16week wait for delivery and installation.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:00 pm

It's gorgeous, Gill!! So glad you got your way with the wooden construction :thumbsup

I so wish we had space for a shed in our back garden but there just isn't anywhere it could go :(

Postby aero280 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 pm

That looks familiar!! I think the installers make the shed, so it’s in their interest to make sure everything fits before they leave the factory. But they must enjoy working there, they were cheerful and helpful, and quick! :)

My shed has been up for nearly three years now. It’s got a lot of shelves. I went for their security shed because I don’t intend to use it for much more than storage. I did build a small worktop by the door, but it does need lighting as I chose the small slit windows. I was lucky with the electrics. About 10 years ago we needed new gates at the bottom of the garden, so we added electric actuators. These needed an electric supply and control box, etc. All I did was move those boxes into the shed, and take the power and lighting from them.

Using a wandering lead over 12 metres maybe a bit long and cause a bit of voltage drop. And it will be 13 amps for everything, so watch the load. A heater will take most of it. I would be inclined to run a length of armoured cable down to the shed and make a permanent feed. An oversized cable would allow some latitude and maybe a fixed socket in the shed for plugging in things at that end of the garden, like an electric lawnmower. The other advantage of armoured cable is that you can leave it on the surface and it won’t get chewed through by squirrels etc. As it will be outside, you should have a residual current breaker at the garage end for safety. You can get plug in ones if it’s not a permanent installation. If you don’t fit this and it trips out, the whole house will go out because it will trip the main unit.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:30 pm

I think we are getting a local electrician to trail some proper electrics in there for us. Neither of us is particularly canny in that department.
Have just been to Wickes to get the insulation, and obs boards. And flooring.

Tony now fancies painting the shed yellow. I think not.

Tell me, what do people paint their beach huts with?

Postby aero280 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Somewhat oddly, Wickes do a blue paint call "Beach Hut". But it's for interior use only. :roll:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Beach-H ... L/p/122188

You'll need a suitable primer/sealer as the wood is treated, if you use paint.

Sadolins do coloured waxy wood stains for sheds and fences. Colours are muted and the grain shows through, but you can recoat and the next coat soaks in. It won't take a coat of paint on the waxy finish though.

https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sado ... r-barrier/

I have used vinyl bathroom paint which leaves a good thick strong coat and it's waterproof and available in bright colours. But often, interior paints fade quickly in sunlight. But it's a shed... ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox