Register

another gadget I've not seen before

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: another gadget I've not seen before

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:48 pm

I wouldn't be able to fit those lids with clips, so would be an immediate waste. Presumably you also needs bowls or jugs etc of exactly, or close to, the right size?

At the moment, I use the plastic cartons (takeaway style) for fridge and freezer and are re-usable if not put in the microwave, so decant to proper microwave pots for that. Hence I use little cling film. Whether the cartons will disappear from sale (as yoghurt pot lids have) I don't know, and if silicone is oil polymers all that genre might disappear too at some point. You can buy china coffee mugs with keep-hot lids, although not at ten for a quid.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 pm

I use disposable shower caps to cover proofing bread. Use them again and again.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:22 pm

jeral wrote:I wouldn't be able to fit those lids with clips, so would be an immediate waste. Presumably you also needs bowls or jugs etc of exactly, or close to, the right size?

They don't clip, they stretch a bit like cling film though not as much, so they only have to be approximately the right size, though I do have bowls that don't seem to have one that fits well

I too use shower caps for bread

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 pm

How do you wash them, Sue? I am just using washing up liquid and warm water.

I wish there was something simlilar for non-round things.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:28 pm

They always show them on one non-round dish but I can't get them to work

I sling them in the dishwasher, they then need to be left to dry

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:36 pm

I have started using this, after finding it lurking on top of a cupboard while looking for something else. Not sure when or where (Germany when hsuband was working there?) I bought it, but it's great! (And it grates :) )

https://www.loewen-versand.de/epages/63 ... AvEALw_wcB

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Oooh a Mouli grater! We grated cheese with one like that throughout my childhood. It was usually my job.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:44 pm

I had one of these, good for some things

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Herbi, that's great! And reminds me of the old-fashioned Mouli my mother had. The main thing I remember grating were breadcrumbs. My mother dried out the old bread in the oven and then grated it. Yes, as with EM, we used it for cheeese as well, as it used to make it go further.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:54 pm

So far I have used it for cheese and thinly slicing onions.

I have a much scarier, sharper rectangular slicing/grating etc. gadget somewhere (which is what i was looking for. I think it's in France...)

I feel guilty for owning this and not having used it, but pleased to have discovered it now. I like the fact that the legs fold away.

I have also been using the chopper attachment for my barmix type thing. It's not a replacement for the minichopper (I bought a new one of those and I can see it going the same way as the old one - very fragile plastic bowl and lid which are easy to break when trying to slot inot place to use - if I am not careful) but still useful. A lot of this is in aid of avoiding using my food processor. I really wish I hadn't bought a KitchenAid one. It's hardly had any use over the years because I don't like it. The bits where it's big bowl and lid slot in are cracked and breaking too.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:14 am

I had a mouli grater too - got it in the 1970s and only got rid of it when I did the big life laundry in 2013. My mum bought it in France for me.
I've managed to fit one of the silicone covers on a smallish square plate - not a perfect fit but it did the job.
They can be washed in the dishwasher but I found that they never stayed in place and usually ended up upside down still full of water at the end of the cycle so I now wash them by hand.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 am

Pampy, I saw the LED lights with remote, but went for the cheaper 2 x set without. Figuring I'd be struggling to find it in the dark (our 4 house cul de sac has no street lights).

Have just ordered the lid covers in the Ebay link. Thanks for talking about them.

Like the look of the mooli, but I have a compact food processor that does those jobs well.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:34 am

You see there's my problem. My KitchenAid, apart from not being very user friendly, sits in a corner and I have to move the drain rack to pull it out to use it. Convenience is everything. But there is also the washing up.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:58 am

That's the problem with gadgets, they have to be easier to use and make less mess than doing the job another way. Our breadmaker lives on the worktop and gets used regularly. The IP and the mixer sit prominently in cupboards and are moved to the worktop as and when. The attachments for the mixer (it's a Kenwood Prospero which came with a food processor and a liquidiser) lurk at the back of the cupboard but are used far less frequently. Oh - there was a citrus juicer attachment too, that has not seen the light of day, never mind a Brazilian lime.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:07 am

I've got much the same set up as BM ... my bread-maker and IP both sit on the counter top. My food processor sits in a cupboard and is rarely used. My Bamix that sits on a stand with it's own food chopper is also on a counter top. But I also have a little Braun processor that sits in another corner ... all the stuff that sits on counter tops get used regularly...

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:15 am

Exactly so.
I wouldn't be using my old Kenwood beast nearly as much. My compact food processor is the size of a toaster, and no trouble at all for large and small jobs.
And tucks easily away in my new pantry cupboard.
I'm trying to keep my counters free, just for coffee making, prep, and combi-microwave.

I seem to have worked a comfortable way of having lots of dry food & gadget storage in this utility cupboard, plus room for the ironing board and vacuum.
But I will be careful not to clutter it up.

I do have a juicer, that I like, but it is only really used for outdoor-sy lemonade in summer - then put away.
I may persevere and use it more often - despite the kerfuffle and cleaning.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am

Our stick blender hasn't got a stand, it sits in a drawer but is easy to get at. I've still got the old one in the same drawer, that ought to go in the loft next to the spare kettle and the old slow cooker. The IP and mixer would also be on the worktop but we're not that blessed for space. Or microwave is built into the oven stack, it's really a proper oven that microwaves.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:44 am

Ha! The silicon covers arrived. I laughed out loud when I opened the pack, as it looked (and felt!) like a pile of offcuts from a condom factory! But in all seriousness, I am utterly impressed, they fit most of my bowls perfectly up to the large glass bowls, and work on the stainless steel bowls too. Not big enough for the huge 12 inch Mason & Cash bowl, but I can count the number of times I've had to cover that in clingfilm on the fingers of one foot.

I have a suspicion that will turn out to be the best £2.95 I've spent all year. I'll update in a year's time, if they're still intact. That's a lot of rolls of clingfilm whose lives I've saved...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/133286463783

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:13 pm

oooh, they look good....I looked at these a couple of years ago at West Dean Chilli Festival but got talked out of
them by the weekend man friend... :roll: :evil:

I think they will be my next online purchase :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox