Register

Beverages

TV & Radio, Gardening, Who's Who, etc.

Re: Beverages

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:20 am

OH gets nanny state low alcohol beers for midweek. He hates some of the sweetened main brand ones!

What do the wine drinkers think of this... £100 for 2 people for 3 bottles of decent wine and cold nibbles (seafood, deli, antipasti etc) to have at home with a wine tasting zoom call? Our fave deli are offering this in place of their usual seasonal in house wine tasting offerings. I think it’s expensive to do at home but OH thinks it’s ok for the wine and food. I guess it’s like a night out but we don’t need to dress up and get babysitters :D I can’t decide if it sounds expensive for a night at home or something to enjoy in partial lockdown??

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:29 am

I think it's expensive to do at home. For that price, I would want an evening in nice surroundings in a restaurant and I definitely wouldn't want three bottles of wine!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:26 am

Depends on the wines - if they are the sort of wines for which you’d pay say £15 each you are almost halfway to the £100, so add good deli food plus the cost of organising, hosting online and delivering, then it sounds about right If they aren’t that calibre then it might be a bit much

Presumably there would be some leftovers for the next night

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:10 am

i think it also depends on how long it lasts for, with the tasting 'expert'. their time and knowledge also has to be factored in.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Sorry, meant to come back to this the other day!

The wines they sell in the deli are probably anywhere between £16-£30 a bottle. The £100 gets us a bottle of English fizz and a white and a red. We’d definitely have some left over for another night. The food looks good (I’ve seen photos of the October event) and includes an entire box of 3 or 4 cheeses, and whole jars of pickles, relish, salsa, tubs of different olives and antipasti veg etc which would definitely allow leftovers. Plus pate, foccacia, quiche, salad, cured meats. Other stuff which I can’t remember. Desserts are also included. One person will also win their money back on the night in the form of one of their £100 Christmas hampers.

We’ve decided to go for it. I’ve read the reviews from the last one and they are all very good. There’s less going out at the moment anyway so we may as well enjoy ourselves at home!

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:34 am

Renee wrote:I think it's expensive to do at home. For that price, I would want an evening in nice surroundings in a restaurant and I definitely wouldn't want three bottles of wine!

But it's a wine tasting... :?

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:44 am

OK, OMCO - I think if I were to buy a "Wine tasting" experience, I´d expect something which pairs with the wine. With the fizz, I´d expect something fishy; with the white, could be fishy, could be cheesy, could be cured meats (Speck, Parma ham, salamis, perhaps) and with the red, probably cheese, maybe something more robust like a carpaccio? Olives & wine - fine. Relish and wine? I have my doubts. Salads and wine? Hmmm.
But hey, the most important thing is to enjoy it!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 am

There was definitely seafood in the photo and part of the event will be pairing the food and wine. I expect the extra stuff are fillers to make up the evening hamper box! Will report back after :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 am

OMCO - your most recent description sounds so much more than the original! As you say, treats are rare in these times, it sounds fab - I hope you enjoy it!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 am

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:14 am

Could someone point me towards a really good hot chocolate drink please?

Nigella’s has come through as recipe of the day but I’m not sure I can source the mix.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/mexican ... e_20201107

Postby halfateabag » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:23 pm

I am toying with the idea of cider vinegar as a beverage, I think you dilute it and add something else...... I read somewhere that it 'cleans' your intestines. I am on the waggon (again) my choice until my blood tests have been taken on the 16th.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-h ... r-vinegar/

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:50 pm

I have known several people who liked to take cider vinegar in the morning (either in warm water or just neat) for reasons similar to those stated. Never heard of it used as a 'beverage' though.

I too would be interested in hot chocolate. I have never had really proper hot chocolate made with proper chocolate in a pan and would love to.

Going a bit more down to earth, someone gave me some Whittards hot chocolate powder to which you add hot milk last year and I thought it was delicious.

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Charbonnel et Walker hot chocolate is nice too.

Pros and cons of drinking apple cider vinegar https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... er-vinegar

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:32 pm

i was going to say charbonnel and walker although, to be honest you could just grate a bar of chocolate for the same result.
lidl do a really nice caramel hot chocolate (and a chilli one) - less sweet than cadburys.
however, the most luxurious type of hot chocolate is the seasonal, spanish offering of 'chocolate a la taza'. a thick, spoonable hot chocolate often drunk/eaten with churros. there are recipes on the web if a packet isn't available. it's made with grated chocolate, milk and a little cornflour to thicken.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Glad you mentioned the Whittards hot chocolate EM, I've been toying with the idea of getting some of theirs.

I've tried the Charbonnel & Walker one but wasn't blown away by it, I agree with scully re using a bar of chocolate.

I usually use Cadbury's hot chocolate powder but have started to find it a bit sweet. As I have some in the cupboard and a bar of Waitrose Continental Plain chocolate, I ground up some chocolate (I have a small food processor thingamy) and tried mixing them together in varying proportions, none was a real winner :( . I've come to the conclusion I don't actually like real chocolate made into a drink :D .

Whittards it is then!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:13 pm

I feel a weight of responsibility now! I'm really not a hot chocolate drinker normally so hope it is acceptable!

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Don't fret EM :D , I was going to try it next anyway :thumbsup .

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 am

I'm not a regular hot chocolate drinker but when I do partake it has to be really chocolatey and not too sweet or milky. The best bought hot chocolate mix I've had is Paul A Young's Aztec spiced hot chocolate. It's pricey but exceptionally good - I'm a Paul A Young fan - and I'm sure the Aztec hot chocolate without all the spices is equally good too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 am

A chocolate obsessed friend likes Green & Black’s hot chocolate. They do cocoa as well

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stuff