Register

I hate to mention Christmas, but?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: I hate to mention Christmas, but?

Postby Hickybank » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:17 am

We love Black Bomber Cheese just a matter of finding it down here, I suppose I could orger online.

For breakfast I fancy Eggs Benedict with smoked Salmon & possibly a glass of Bucks Fizz.
Just need to convince Ann. (not a fish lover)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:35 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Wife & 2nd son still stuck in Spain. The "govt" just extended the airport shutdown to Nov 13th. I really don´t hold out much hope

Oh dear Clive, I hope they get back to you soon, you and the dog must both be missing them.

Good news about the cheese though :thumbsup

I’m not sure it will make that much difference to my Christmas Day, but there are a few regular get togethers in the run up that go by the board and New Year’s Eve will be very odd, I usually spend it with the friend who just died

I looked at the half turkey, works out to a lot of money, think I’ll get a rib of best beef

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:46 am

Our Christmas won't change all that much, it has been just the two of us for that last 10 years or so. Mr Strictly sometimes has to work and his mum and brother have their own commitments up North under normal circumstances. We don't have turkey normally. I just hold off having too many roast dinners so whatever we have is a treat. This year it will be lamb from the college farm where I work, as it has been for the last couple of years. It is so special and therefore lovely to serve as a special treat at Christmas. I usually have to work for at least two of the 3 non-bank holidays, but it will be all three this year as I've nearly used all my holiday up! I've got about 3 unbooked days left between now and the end of March next year!

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:55 am

There will be just the two of us again. We usually go out for Christmas Lunch, we have to the Four Seasons, Limassol for the last couple of years. You can have a proper sit down, multiple course lunch but we have a cocktail, try not to eat too many salted almonds then browse through the magnificent Christmas Buffet. Lots of interesting terrines, fresh sushi presided over by the sushi chef, splendid patisserie also with its own chef. There is turkey etc but I don't bother.

Surprisingly the best place for Christmas food goodies is Lidl, they have already started selling marzipan and other sweets, gingerbread house kits. I am trying to empty the freezer in readiness for the frozen salmon en croute, venison and wild boar. M&S, a franchise will have some Christmas food but it is incredibly over priced, even by M&S standards.
I wish that I could get decent cheeses

No news about Christmas lunch bookings yet but we are not too concerned as things like that do not get serious until November

Moira

Postby Suelle » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Unless the Rule of Six changes, I will be able to have both children round for a meal (indoors). We've had a few drinks and cake, in the garden, over the last 7 months but it's only since the Rule of Six came in that I am able to have them both in the house at the same time, as we are 3 separate households.

We are all missing a proper roast dinner with lamb, so that's a distinct possibility, rather than a festive meal.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Some interesting developments are happening as part of the Covid rulings. We have several friends here who usually return to the UK for Christmas and New Year, coming back mid February. This year they may stay on the island because of self isolation on arrival.
One at least is using it as a reason for not holding her usual Boxing Day Open House, I know that she has found the last two events exhausting. Even if she orders a lot of prepared food it must be stored correctly. She says that it is time to hand over the baton to the youngsters, I would be interested to know their reaction.
Another is using it to avoid a relative's cooking, which is stated to be not bad, just boring.

Moira

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

if th eBoxing Day Open House occurs anywhere in the UK, it doesn't happen this year whichever country she's in

Nowhere can you have more than 6 peopel in a house (unless your household is actually 6 or more people)

Postby dennispc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:56 pm

After two bad years for OH, last Christmas we decided it would be just the two of us, though we did visit our two local families in the morning. We loved it, so will repeat this year hoping grandchildren plus partners can pop in, suitably spaced apart. We assume that’s OK.

If not, it is what it is. We’ll wait and see what we eat nearer the time. One year our fishmonger was selling turkey legs - it was huge - but our butcher couldn't get hold of one for us!

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:if th eBoxing Day Open House occurs anywhere in the UK, it doesn't happen this year whichever country she's
Sue, what I think that she meant was that it gave her an excellent reason to stop holding the event.

Moira

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:41 pm

We will be able to do what we want without having to field family invitations :thumbsup

Our perfect Christmas Day is a bowl of porridge, with a dash of whisky
a long walk
back for coffee and showers
Light the woodburner
Champagne
Whatever we have decided on for dinner - currently a seafood platter is top of the list.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Am reading all this stuff and realising I never much enjoy Christmas if I am honest. I really can’t do the Hedonistic stuff at all.

I loved it for years but it’s something else that has dropped off the radar.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:24 pm

I am hoping I get a love of Christmas back at some point, or at least lose the dread.

A friend at work loves it like a child and clearly thinks I am awful for hating it. But she goes home and is looked after by her parents, (even though she's not much younger than me.) goes to lots of nice pre-Christmas parties of the wine and canape variety, and visits family.

I am not helped by my mother and husband always saying how much they hate it. I can muster enthusiasm for most things, if I need to, but not in the face of constant adversity of this nature.

If we stay in tier 2 we wouldn't be able to have guests or visit people anyway. Am guessing most people on here are not in tier 2.

I had better check how much annual leave I have left. strictlysalsaclare, I’d be desperate if I only had 3 days between now and Christmas, let alone March! I am lucky to get the days in between Christmas and New Year as a freebie/non-voluntary extra (depending on how you look at it).
I plan to take the rest of the week off after New Year. Sabbatical year begins on Jan 2nd.

Postby smitch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 pm

herbidacious wrote: Am guessing most people on here are not in tier 2.

Herbi, we’ve been in Tier 2 a while and will be in Tier 3 as soon as Boris gets his way. Parts of Greater Manchester were on tougher restrictions for months before the Tier system was introduced.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Who can possibly guess what the tiers will be by Christmas! Even in Tier 1 you only need one schoolteacher to test positive for the whole class to have to isolate for 2 weeks :evil:.

Postby Renee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 am

Tier three here in Lancashire now.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:14 am

Who can possibly guess what the tiers will be by Christmas

If things keep getting worse, as they seem to be in many parts of the world, I think we´ll be closer to " Shed a Tier". :gonzo :gonzo
(´sallright, I was leaving anyway :lol: :lol: )

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:20 am

:lol: Kk.

My daughter usually comes to stay for Christmas, but if things change, she may not be allowed to. I've spent many Christmasses alone, so it wouldn't bother me - in fact, it gives you a better chance to think about what Christmas is really all about. It would be a first for my daughter though, and she might not find that too pleasant.

How peoples' perspectives differ - a couple of years ago, the daughter of the landlady of the pub I use blurted out - "Christmas would be much better if we didn't have all this religious stuff." She's a lovely lass, but oh dear.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:49 am

Let's be honest, 'Christmas' has been more of a Yule celebration than a Christian one for a lot of people for quite a few years.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 am

My comment about tiers was only because people seemed to be planning Chrismas as if they would be able to have people over/go and visit people. But I suppose all plans have the unspoken caveat that this might not be possible...
We can't really plan for anything properly, of course.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 am

Perhaps we'll get a Christmas armistice . .

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox