Register

When do you eat your main meal.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: When do you eat your main meal.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Ours ate with us from birth. Me with the baby latched on and the rest eating supper all together. I was never good at bedtimes- a reaction against my mother.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Me neither cherrytree and it amuses me hugely today that the 3 of my 4 children with homes and families stick religiously to set mealtimes/bedtimes. :lol: :lol:

To be fair though my elder son who is gay has 3 dogs rather than children.

Postby Kacey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Weekdays - no breakfast, small lunch for me (OH will have porridge @ 4:30am and a decent packed lunch at noon) and our main meal 'tea' at around 7:30pm
Weekends - brunch and 'tea' at 8pm-ish on Saturday and 7 to 7:30pm on Sunday

In an ideal world every day would be brunch mid to late morning and tea at around 8pm

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Breakfast which is normally toast, croissant or something similar about 7.00. A sandwich about 12.30 and evening meal whatever time it’s ready although rarely before 7.30. On days I stay in I enjoy some cheese and grapes mid afternoon.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Before secondary school, I'd sometimes have a meal on my own, because I was too hugnry to wait until my father got home at around 6pm. (I would have thought that dinner was at 6.30.) I didn't get home from secondary school until 5pm, so less long to wait, and a 1pm lunch at school.

If I'd had children, they wouldn't get to eat with their father - who used to routinely get home at 9pm.... when he was in the country. I don't think he would have changed ihis habits for children, but I suppose I will never know.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Our four would get home from school and eat mountains of bread - that was when they were at secondary school. That was to ‘put them on’ as the Cumbrian saying goes. They still ate a huge supper too at about 6.30.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am

I suppose you can do that when you are growing.

I am talking about when I was very young - 7-10. I don't think I have ever had the capacity for a generous snack followed by dinner, but it wasn't on offer anyway. Very tight budget at a time when (some) food was more expensive.

We didn't sit at the table together anyway, except for on Sundays.

re your comment about different foods and menus, all we ever had, pretty much, was meat and two veg. Nothing 'foreign' nothing 'posh'. Multiple reasons: parents' tastes, mother's lack of interest in cooking and savoury food, it was the 70s, we had very little money, and possibly a throughly northern background with parents brought up during the war. (Althogh grandma dablled with such exotics as curry and grilled pineaapple and cheese in the 50s, apparently! I think she went on a course...)
I think this dull diet might be partly what fuelled my interest in food and cooking. (That and my vegetarianism.) I yearned for something more, something different. My sibling is/was (last time we met, which is a long time ago) a bit of a foody too.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am

I think we are possibly a bit old fashioned when it comes to eating. We always sit at the table, my husband at the head although now it’s just the two of us I sit beside him. On Sunday when the family come to Sunday dinner , although with the current Rule of Six it’s in weekly relays, he carves the joint at the table just like my father and grandfather did. The grandchildren have sat at the table just like their parents did. It sounds so formal yet it’s such fun. The crack is great, the noise terrific and I wouldn’t miss this family tradition for anything.

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 am

Our dining table is currently my work desk so we can't use it for meals.

Our main meal (tea) is in the evening. When we had to drive home from work, we ate between 7 and 8pm. Now we are working from home, we eat at anytime between 5.30-8pm depending on what we're having and how hungry we are.

I can't eat when I first wake up so I tend to have breakfast later, between 9-10am. I used to eat my breakfast once I got to the office.

Dinner at the moment depends on if I'm working or have a study day. My OH takes his break at 1.30 so sometimes I join him. If I have meetings or a class, I fit my dinner in to suit.

When I was younger, we all ate together, at around 5pm. I never bothered with breakfast back then and took sandwiches to school most of the time.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Midweek breakfast is a chaotic affair at around 7.30 in the rush before school, nursery, work.

Lunch 12.30 ish. Usually salad, sandwich, soup or picky bits. If there is more than one of us at home it might be something hot. Mondays there is usually me, OH and youngest DD so today we had falafel with flatbread, hummus, edamame and crudités.

Dinner is around 5.30 for the girls if OH is in the office and we eat at 7ish. If we’re all eating together we’ll eat at about 6pm.

Weekends are much more flexible. Sunday’s we often have a mid morning brunch and then a late afternoon/early evening 2 course dinner at home or out somewhere.

Postby Amyw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:04 am

I’m quite bad at breakfast and often skip it . Lunch is 12/12.30 and I eat quite early in the evenings. I think because I do so at work so normally 5.30/6.

Weekends I tend to have more of a brunch mid morning and either picky stuff later on or an evening meal depending on the brunch and my plans

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:24 am

Another wierd day today. I woke up at 6.30, had breakfast at 10 and "lunch" at 5.30. :?

Postby halfateabag » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 am

I do that on the odd occasion Kool. The meds I have been taking make me feel a bit nauseous and have skipped supper the last 2 nights. Might make changes to when I take the meds...?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Zosh, Can you not take them AFTER supper, or just before you go to bed ?

Postby herbidacious » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Our possible dining room - the front room - is a 'library'. We have a kitchen table but it tends to get things put on it. Not super keen on eating in the same room that I have cooked in, and it's a bit cramped in there, (I tend to use the table to put things on while cooking) but we do do this at Christmas and once in a blue moon during the rest of the year.

Husband is working in the front at the moment, and we brought a table down from the attic for him to work at. We did clear it to eat at for his 50th birthday meal in April, and I think we might do this in the future if we ever have guests again, and the table stays there. It's quite small for a dining table, but it does have a twin in his bedroom.

re formal Sunday dinner, have not done that for decades. Parents stopped doing it when I left home. We did it occasionally when I visited them, but my father was reluctant. He said sitting up to the table made him physically uncomfortable. (Crohn's. Or could have been an excuse! He was also a shaky, messy and very very slow eater with a tendency to choke, mainly because of his cerebral palsy, I suppose, the symptoms of which got worse as he got older. So the whole eating at the table thing became less conducive for several reasons.)
My cooking is usually of the one pot variety that can go in a bowl. Less needy of a table. Re the social aspect, pre-Covid, husband and I ate lunch out (at a table...!) every weekend, usually twice. Our main time for undistracted conversation, other than when driving somewhere. The former is a loss, which we could try to regain. (Can I veto talk of Covid and politics, though? It get a bit much...)

Postby Lokelani » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Breakfast is a yogurt. I've never been a fan of breakfast, although can manage a proper one if away in a hotel & it's not too early.

Lunch is fitted in between work meetings, but early suits us best. DH will have had breakfast earlier than me & mine is small, so we're both hungry by 12 or so.

Dinner is rather late, probably 8.30 or so, what with work, dog walk, bath, time to relax etc. then cooking something nice. I'm always reading sound logic that earlier is better for us & I try for a while, but it usually slips back to being around that time. Due to DH early starts, sometimes meaning bed by 10, it's not even 2 hours before bed some days.

So there's usually snacking of cereal or nuts around 4-5pm.

Just as well we have no children to set a good example to!

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:56 pm

We don't usually have a 'fixed' time. For weekdays, the main meal is tea, usually eaten between 4.30 - 6.00 pm. Saturdays, it's just a 'get what you want', sort of tea, and just something light.
On Sundays the main meal is eaten around 1.00 pm - and I make it! Today we had chicken tikka with vegetable pilau - yum!

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 am

Hi Patsy, sorry for the tardy reply....... I have to take the meds to be pain free to enable me to do the exercise/physio. So unless I can train myself to do exercises in my sleep I am not sure where I go from here???? Interestingly I have also been told to ice and then heat the wrist. I have a large bucket of rainwater on my potting bench so (together with still getting over heated) I plunge the arm into the bucket and totally chill it for 5 mins. The first 2 are excruciating but after that I can't feel a lot and it gets easier.

Movement is slowly returning but it's highly frustrating when trying to open jars, bottles etc. He has to be constantly on call. Secretly glad he is not working, there would be a lot I could not do. Oh yes, I still take half a sleeping tablet at night so I go right thru and not spend 2 hours awake from 2am.....

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:25 am

Yes, painkillers are awkward like that

Have you been given any advice on when to take them in relation to food, or there might be something in the leaflet?

I have found that can make a difference I find

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:29 am

One thing about lunchtime main meals that you cook yourself is that to me they seem to take up valuable time when I have energy to do things/go places that I don't have in the early evening. If I spend a chunk of morning cooking, then eat a big meal, I am not going to want to do much else that day.

Maybe Sunday big lunch will become a thing when I retire and have more time.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox