Register

Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: How are you on complaining?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Ah. Thanks Suffs. There is a huge folder at the bottom of the stairs, haven’t found anything re who’s actually in charge but will peruse it tomorrow. They all seem to write that they talked to me and Mr L and that we are a delightful couple . . . .

I am weary of being classed as delightful! Am bloody not!

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Having been described as ‘being delightful’ is very good ... people perceived by professionals to be ‘delightful’ don’t usually complain without good reason.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 pm

There always seems to be one that's not up to scratch! Yes you should highlight your concerns to whoever's organising the package. Not all patients are lucky enough to have a partner on the premises who can help them if things aren't done properly and the hygiene issue should be addressed. There are people who have such a problem that deodorant doesn't work, but not many.

I hate complaining. My father taught me to do it in a kindly fashion and it usually works. I can become fiercer if necessary!

Postby Hickybank » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 pm

When complaining you do not have to be nasty or or sharp with whoever you speak to
Tell them you have concerns about one of the carers ability to perform her duties in a professional manner & you think this may be detrimental to your husbands recovery.
Wait for whoever you speak to ask what your concerns are & which carer is causing you these concerns.
At all times remain polite & calm however difficult that might be.
Hope everything turns out well for you, I am sure it will

Postby Suffs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm

By the way ... you are paying for the care, and so are all taxpayers ... it’s not free and it’s not charity ... for a carer not to do the assessed work he or she has been employed to do, and yet claim payment for it, is fraud. You not only have a right to complain, you have a duty to do so. It’s part of the unwritten compact between you and the Care Assessor ... if you don’t, the Assessor is unable to judge the suitability of the assessed care package.
As long as you’re polite you have no need to feel uncomfortable about it. :newhuggy

Re: Wild about Chatter Vol. 2

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 am

mistakened wrote:It has got to that time of year here when you do not know what to wear. I stopped wearing my summer dresses last week. Now I have to decide what length sleeve to wear, I started with short sleeves this morning bit have had to move on to elbow length now. No rain forecast

Chicken & Leek Pie for supper,

Moira

It is time for a very German garment, the "Übergangsmantel", the in-between-seasons coat. I dug mine out a while ago. :klingonbanana :klingonbanana

And for pumpkin soup ... I baked several pumkins today to make soup from ...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 am

Thank you so much everyone. I can see clearly now, as the song goes.

I was brought up never to complain, probably like others here, but have toughened up over the years. Unfortunately I have a foodie friend who makes it her life’s mission to put in formal complaints about absolutely everything until she gets the deal she’s after! It has coloured my vision a bit. I am never going to eat out with her again as she embarrassed me beyond anything normal last time we went to Galvin.

Re the carers. It is just the one. I cannot praise the others or the system enough. We are so lucky.

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:19 am

Good Morning Campers.
We get a lot of pumpkins here, not only the round ones but very long ones, similar to a vegetable marrow but curved, they are so big that they are sold by the slice.

Moira :mug:

Postby halfateabag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:40 am

Morning all, We were away most of yesterday, would have waved at you EM as we drove thru Marlborough to go to Swindon to collect a couple of Freebies, a 2 seater settee to swap with the 3 seater one we currently have and some wide netting for the garden. Did ASDA and Aldi and got some bargains. It took some time to sort the furniture with my dodgy wrist and we have still to take out the 3 seater settee but will wait for some stronger arms to help.

I was so tired I missed my supper and went to bed at 8.30. The cats let me sleep until 6.30. Better get up and make T :mug:

Postby icelesley » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:16 am

Good Morning campers. Sunday again, where are the weeks going :roll: Following the washing mountain, I have an ironing mountain to tackle today :? Has anyone got a gas smart meter? We are having one fitted a week on Monday. I have just read they are battery powered an many people will find the battery runs out and cuts the gas off :o if that's the case they can shove it where the Sun don't shine :?

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 am

We’ve got one Icey. You don’t have to connect the battery display if you don’t want to but ours has been fine.

Postby oat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:57 am

We are getting one fitted on Tuesday, the only reason we're having one is because the house is a new build and the gas meter is fitted on the front wall at ground level. When I have to read it it involves getting on my knees, I'm not very dignified at the best of times but I really don't want to frighten passers by with me on all fours and my bum in the air anymore :tongueout

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 am

I have a couple of colourful second hand Boden corduroy/velvet Übergangsmanteln, which I love. Yesterday was a bit too warm for one unless worn with short sleeves.
We went to a place south of Croydon which has a mini Crews Hill set up. I've not been there before. It's curious how really rather abruptly the countryside appears, south of Croydon going into Surrey, compared to what happens beyond Bromley, going into Kent countryside.
After the garden centres, we went to a little church in the middle of nowhere that has an astonishing 13th century fresco depicting, in graphic detail, what will happen if to you in purgatory and/or hell. To get there, we drove up over a mini heath where cattle and sheep are grazed. It's managed by the City of London and apparently has lots of rare plant life. It felt slightly surreal.

I have ambitious plans today regarding gardening. Trying to summon up the whatever to go outside and attempt to fulfil them.

Postby herbidacious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:38 am

I have a freind like that, pp. If I eat out with her, I can't return to the restaurant for at least 6 months. With her it's partly wanting them to do special things just for her though. Astonishing how often they go along with it. Ottolenghi's notably didn't and I am afraid I had slight schadenfreude.

Problem with my mother's care company is that they seem to disregard complaints more often than not. I suspect because they are so very short of and can't hang onto staff. I am concerned that the carers don't always bother with masks or if they do, don't wear them properly. Anyway. That's by the by regarding your post.

Postby mistakened » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 am

Our electricity meter in common with most Cypriot houses is on the front of the house near the front door. AIK, the electricity company just pop in and read the meter, very often you do not know that they have visited. Their records show that there are large dogs here, the previous tenants had German Shepherds so we get asked to tie the dogs up. I have shown them Pug which provoked great laughter.
When we lived in Pissouri, the meter was down the track then into a field, the box was attached to a post supporting the power cable . It should have been moved up to the house when building was completed but I suspect that it was too much trouble. What this meant was that when the power tripped out in a storm, one of us had to get into the car, drive down the track to the road then walk into the wet field to turn the power back on. It was one of the reasons why we moved.

Melon with Serrano Ham for lunch.

The cyclamen are coming through, the local variety Cyclamen Cypriae

Moira

Postby halfateabag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:32 am

PP you should make your comments known to her superior. If her BO is bad, does that not make you wonder if she is careful of her own level of cleanliness, especially around your husband....? There is nothing wrong with a careful quiet word.... let us know how you get on.

Postby scullion » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:57 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
low tide is at one, off for a walk at twelve fifteen.
another load of apple chutney done. this load was much spicier. after the first batch i had realised that i had weighed the apples after coring and peeling rather than before (the norm) so added in more of everything - along with an addition of some chilli flakes and a bit of allspice. the next load will be using delia's mango chutney recipe using apples instead of mangoes and with wine vinegar - as i had realised that someone who usually has quite a bit of the chutney couldn't have the malt vinegar - silly me. i'm sure he's had it in the past but i don't want to be responsible for a flare-up!
i think coffee might be in the offing.
a cat sitting on your chest doesn't make it easy to type.
have a good day, everyone.

Postby Uschi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Guten Morgen!
I love velvet coats, but since I wear a rucksack they'd be threadbare very soon.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Morning all! :wave.

I'm trying to avoid things in the house that will spy on me any more than they do already so no smart meter for me whilst I have a choice (and they can pay to remove the asbestos board the current one is attached to as well, I was told it would cost £400 to have someone undo the 4 screws it's attached to the wall with and it's not doing anyone any harm at the moment). Talking of things that spy on people (not smart meters), a man was had up locally the other day for manipulating people's smart goods which contained cameras so that he could view them in their homes without their knowledge. https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... ay-police/

Herbi, your day out sounds lovely. Surrey is so beautiful once you escape the suburbs. I envied my father who grew up near Coulsdon. He could cycle straight into the rural Surrey of the 1930s within minutes of leaving the house.

A child in GD's school class has been tested positive for Covid. I am now fully aware of how stupid the rules are. Said child and probably his/her family will presumably have been spreading the virus all week. A short email was sent to parents last night saying more info would follow once full consultation with Public Health had taken place but that they were to stay off school on Mon & Tues (half term starts Wed). No further guidance.
Internet says all the children in the class should isolate for 14 days but that all other household members can go about their business as usual. That means that working parents cannot use normal childcare facilities including grandparents but will not be compensated for staying off work but also might be in contact with a carrier and spread the virus over the workplace, shops, public transport etc. Many people cant afford to take unpaid leave. It just doesn't add up. We don't know who the child is but hope it's someone GD doesn't interact with much. They all had a flu spray last week and one girl had bad symptoms so she's getting a test. It would be so good if they all could.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Good morning all (just) :D :mug:

Half-arsed doesn't even go close EM .... why so many people were taken in by hubristic waffle and made him the Tory leader is beyond me ... it's not as if his reputation didn't precede him. :twisted: Is it just that he wanted it so much and they didn't like to say no ?

Something disturbed me during the night and it took me a while to get back to sleep thankfully we both woke late; now the Archers has been listened too, towels are in the wash, veg for supper have been prepped (potatoes, squash, onions and sage to go under and around a chicken roasted in the covered enamel roaster).

Now we can see that during the night a large branch has fallen from the huge pollarded Robinia in a garden about 100m away up the rise. I wonder if that’s what woke me ... I had the impression of lights on our blinds ... it could’ve been someone out there with a powerful torch. It’s a very large mound of branch and foliage on the neighbour’s lawn ... covering an area the size of a large family car and at least half as high. :shock:

I’m glad we’re getting our big ash re-pollarded next month. It would be embarrassing if it dropped a branch on next door’s greenhouse :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox