Register

Mushy Peas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Mushy Peas

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:30 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I think making mushy peas from dried peas and crushing frozen peas are 2 completely different animals.

No, they are both mashed legumes :evil:.

You've reminded me of tinned Marrowfat peas v garden peas too, the latter vile even when not mushed. I always found it incomprehensible that anyone would pick Marrowfat when garden weren't very different in price (in the days before frozen).

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:28 pm

I must be odd ... in the days when we had tinned veg I much preferred processed marrowfat peas to the rather odd 'tinny' taste of tinned garden peas. :lol:

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Suffs wrote:I must be odd ... in the days when we had tinned veg I much preferred processed marrowfat peas to the rather odd 'tinny' taste of tinned garden peas. :lol:

Me too!

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Gruney2 wrote:
Suffs wrote:I must be odd ... in the days when we had tinned veg I much preferred processed marrowfat peas to the rather odd 'tinny' taste of tinned garden peas. :lol:

Me too!

I also liked the hard peas that shot across the table and onto the floor if you stuck your fork in them (we called them cannon balls) that appeared in School Beef Stew ... they were the only time we were allowed to use our forks upside down as 'shovels' ... but then I had grown up with Ma's cooking :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I think making mushy peas from dried peas and crushing frozen peas are 2 completely different animals.

No, they are both mashed legumes :evil:.

You've reminded me of tinned Marrowfat peas v garden peas too, the latter vile even when not mushed. I always found it incomprehensible that anyone would pick Marrowfat when garden weren't very different in price (in the days before frozen).

I mean that although they originate from the same vegetable, they are treated very differently that results in a completely different taste and texture .. my daughter loves marrowfat peas - they always look too brightly green to me (eurgh :( )

Postby Seatallan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Gruney2 wrote:

Me too!

And me!! :yum

Indeed, I can happily eat cold marrowfat peas direct from the tin....
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Happily here too Seatallen :yum

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 pm

I've never had mushy peas, don't fancy them one bit.....however, I'm a Farrows marrowfat pea eater, don't like garden peas.
Pick the bones out of that one! :lol: .

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:I've never had mushy peas, don't fancy them one bit.....however, I'm a Farrows marrowfat pea eater, don't like garden peas.
Pick the bones out of that one! :lol: .

If I can’t get Harry Ramsdens mushy peas then I’ll get a tin of Farrows and mash them either way I add vinegar rather than mint sauce. BTW I confess to liking the liquid in Farrows.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Just decided that tea will be a haddock fillet, dusted and shallow fried, with mushy peas. They'll have to be tinned marrowfats as the dry ones all became pea shoots.

Crushed petit pois? Why on earh crush them? Minty peas? No. Mint is different if eating whole fresh peas with lamb or in suitable couscous, but I agree is a different animal from proper mushy peas.

Talking of animals. Seatallan: Were your cat's favourite peas minted? My mum's dog would line up for a lick of minty toothpaste. Mind you, dogs eat grass (constipation or worms or something) so maybe peas are instinctively "a good thing".

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm

jeral wrote: Mind you, dogs eat grass

they also eat stuff from other people's compost heaps, their own poo and the neighbour's guinea pig - according to my brother (well, his did).

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm

In that case, Seatallan's mushy-pea-eating cat was obviously one of class 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:29 pm

The tiny French and Italian tinned peas used to be considered something of a delicacy, they were a different colour from the canned Smedley’s “garden peas” that were usual childhood became they weren’t allowed to use blue colouring on the continent,p

Postby smitch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 pm

After reading this thread, we went to the chippy tonight after I had my flu jab. Cheese & onion pie, chips and mushy peas :yum

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:16 am

Heaven on a plate! :yum :yum

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 am

Just remembered the crow (or was it a raven?):
" Sorry, mate, you´re too late! The best peas went to Farrow´s!"
:lol: :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 am

Peas of all sorts are popular here. We had tinned peas years ago, but frozen are much nicer. I remember the little jars of French peas and carrots as being a bit posh, we didn't have those and only saw them when we went to look in shops 'up the other end'.

Otherwise, dried peas were for soup only. Grandma (Dad's mum, as opposed to Nan) used to make really nice pea soup.

We have tinned mushy peas fairly often, quite like them but don't much care for the lurid colour (and surely fluorescence :shock: ) they give your wee afterwards, as do cheap piccalillis. Blitzed fresh or frozen peas are a different animal, agreed, but also nice, especially with mint. A minty pea mush makes a nice filing for quesadillas.

We eat a lot of pulses. In the sixties we used to have just butter beans in stews, split peas in pease pudding and peas in soup. Maybe one of those barley-based mixes added to mince. Occasionally I had a little tin of chilli con carne for my tea on a Sunday night - radical then - or London Grill, which was baked beans with bits in.

There's so much choice now. We use all sorts of dal & beans, some home grown. For once we were actually around to harvest the pea crop at the optimum time. :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:39 am

Morning all.

Almost the only edible thing in the Iceland/Slimming World range of frozen foods is their pea and mint soup. It's delicious.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/slimming-wo ... 60691.html

Postby Seatallan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 pm

jeral wrote:In that case, Seatallan's mushy-pea-eating cat was obviously one of class 8-)

He certainly was!! :D

Jeral, he preferred his mushy peas plain. He wasn't a 'minty' cat. Though the cat before him enjoyed Kendal Mint Cake... :lol:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox