Register

Onions

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Onions

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:01 am

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 am

I've forgotten something I do quite regularly :roll:

Soften some red onions with OO or butter, S&P, a splash of vinegar, sugar if liked.
Make a batch of bread dough using 300g white flour, prove and roll into a circle like a pizza. Prove a bit more. Place a Camembert in the middle. Put a few spoonsful of onion over the Camembert. Fold the dough over and crimp to cover and seal the onion and cheese. Place it it fold side down on a baking sheet. It should look like a cob loaf. Prove a bit more if you like, then bake until the dough is cooked. Serve warm from the oven. The cheese will be hot and melty. Don't make this with very very ripe Camembert though, else it will go everywhere when you cut into it!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 am

Cipollini.
Akin to some suggestions, I sometimes make baked cipollini = shallots baked in red wine, balsamic vinegar a little butter and s & p, slow roasted for 2hrs.

I asked my sister to toss the shallots periodically for me, and noticed they were disappearing.
She couldn't stop eating them (part of a roast pork meal I was preparing).

They were the star of the show.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I've forgotten something I do quite regularly :roll:

Soften some red onions with OO or butter, S&P, a splash of vinegar, sugar if liked.
Make a batch of bread dough using 300g white flour, prove and roll into a circle like a pizza. Prove a bit more. Place a Camembert in the middle. Put a few spoonsful of onion over the Camembert. Fold the dough over and crimp to cover and seal the onion and cheese. Place it it fold side down on a baking sheet. It should look like a cob loaf. Prove a bit more if you like, then bake until the dough is cooked. Serve warm from the oven. The cheese will be hot and melty. Don't make this with very very ripe Camembert though, else it will go everywhere when you cut into it!

:yum :yum :yum :yum :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Anyone mentioned French onion soup ? A bit of a retro classic but lovely and hearty as the weathers getting colder

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 am

French onion soup has been mentioned, but is always worth another mention :thumbsup

Somewhere on the internet, it shows how to cook the onions pieces (with etceteras) for 5+ mins in the microwave, then finish off in the normal way, thus avoiding the tedious 45mins "watching them". Not an issue for slow cooker owners of course. PS, tag word is "caramelize onions in microwave".

I've never understood and it still eludes me as to how in bistros one was meant to eat, with only a soup spoon, the lovely cheese-topped toasted baguette slice sitting atop a bowl of said soup. Is there some etiquette attached of which I know nothing? Ta.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 am

I suspect it's one of those things that French children learn in the cradle and is impossible to learn later (but many of us have managed to muddle our way through!).

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 am

Dunk it into the soup until it’s soft then you can cut it with the spoon.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Earthmaiden, I should have known. Don'cha just luv it when all you need is a child of two to show you how to do some things? :mrgreen:

Suffs, yes, but then it's soggy not crisp, accepting that being toasted it doesn't become slimy as would bread. Behind closed doors, and not being in France, I chop the slice into soldiers and serve them on a side plate.

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

It may be soggy rather than crisp ... but that’s what the French folk Ive known do with theirs :D

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm

jeral :lol:.

Of course, Suffs is right and presumably it's what most of us inelegantly attempt to do, I agree it is an art but think that the bread is supposed to gradually go soggy. Cutting into cubes to plonk onto the soup would be rather nice ;).

Postby MariaK » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:35 pm

French onion soup - soggy croûtes

In his recipe

http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/re ... art230.htm

Ian-in-france pours the soup over the croûtes & serves the cheese separately. To avoid soggy bread I'd suggest making croutons which you can add just a few at a time. I tend to do that if making croutons.

A big batch of caramelised onions

A big thank you to the person who suggested microwaving the onions to soften them before cooking on the hob & apologies for not remembering who it was. Sorry. Tried it - brilliant. I usually make extra for the freezer, but not very organised. Here's some advice posted by Ian on the wildfood site in 2014 - it's disappeared so here's what I saved

Re: Baked onions Postby ianinfrance » February 11th, 2014, 9:44 am
tezza wrote:
Just anything to use these onions up.

Why not slice thinly, fry in oil until a good chestnut colour and then portion up into 2 person and 4 person quantities for French Onion soup before freezing. Also delightful to make onion gravy.
We do this once a year with about 10 kg of onions at a time. Slicing and cooking them is pretty tedious, but it doesn't take 10 times as long as it does to make a 1 kg batch, and after that, they are ready to use quickly. We discussed this first of all ages ago and I said I was going to try it. I did and reported back that it was a great success. Here's a detailed description of how to deal with the onions. Obviously you would stop before adding the wine.
FYI. about 500g onions will do 6 people. So that would make for 3x 2 person packs. A kilo would do 6 of them. As each pack only weighs about 15-20 gms or so, they don't even take up a lot of space.

Scully

Thank you for posting a link to your recipe for onion marmalade - just what I needed.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3830&p=98824&hilit=onion+marmalade&sid=1b77fb0d1922790db6a594f8ccfeb664#p98824

Did a Google , but they were all of the "keep in the fridge for x weeks" maximum type . I assume yours are long-life.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:26 pm

It’s perhaps worth pointing out that Ian serves small portions as a starter

I prefer a big hearty bowl of onion soup as a meal, so would definitely require a big cheesy croute in it! Classic French hangover brunch, les Halles style

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox