Register

New shopping limits to avoid panic buying

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

New shopping limits to avoid panic buying

Postby Hickybank » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:35 pm

ASDA 2 hand sanitsers 4 packs toilet rolls
Tesco 1 hand sanitiser, 500g rice, 4 toilet rolls.
Wairose 1 Lobster, 6 Quail eggs, 100g Foie Gras. .
LIDL 1 MIG welder, 2 pink sports bras, 2 Trumpets, 1 wetsuit
Last edited by Hickybank on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New shopping limits to avoiud panic buying

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:............... :lol:

Careful with that welder - hens teeth 'n all that - now if it was mig/tig that would be an humugus bargain..........! :D

Re: New shopping limits to avoid panic buying

Postby oat » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:27 pm

The one that always makes me giggle at Lidl in the Middle is when they sell horse blankets and other horse paraphernalia. Not desperately needed round here.

And the trumpets are rubbish! :lol:

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Pepper Pig, you must have one of those elusive Lidl "selected stores". Ooo, get you ;)

Hickybank, tee hee. Did you forget M&S, per other thread,,which presumably limit to one the items intended to serve 50? Mind you, I can't even guess how many quail's eggs are needed to serve 50 :?

Postby herbidacious » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 pm

I was always bemused by the number of different fishing and chicken keeping magazine titles they used to sell in Sydenham Sainsburys. (Now they specialize in back copies of Saisbury's magazines :? )

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:02 pm

There weren't any magazines when I was in Sainsburys a few days ago. Waitrose still have their Food and Health magazines priced at £3, but free with my Waitrose card.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

Hicky:
I ´ve just managed to get my car fixed AND filled it up with petrol (for the first time in 6 months) so this week I´ve been stocking up on essentials.
Thursday: 1 case beer, 1 bottle cheap Scotch, 1 bottle Merlot, 2 kgs flour, 500 gms dried yeast. ( Well bread and wine will always work, won´t it?)
Friday: 1/2 kg cheese, 1 kg minced beef, 1 dozen eggs, ready-made puff pastry.
Today: Goat cheese, 500 gms peeled shrimp, milk, yoghurt, artisan beer, butter, Greek yoghurt.
I don´t have to worry about face masks, sanitiser or toilet rolls, because I discovered my wife´s stash and I probably have enough to last me through to June 2022. :gonzo

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Well, the earliest slot I can get for home delivery is 11 days hence. I had expected seven maybe, but 11 means people are definitely stockpiling here. I wonder if anything will be left to fulfil an order due 11 days from now... I won't starve, more a surprise really how quickly panic kicks in.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Hickybank - :lol: :lol:

You seem well catered for KK!

I went to a small branch of Sainsburys in a market town not far away today. They had good stocks of all the things which have been low in the big stores. Does this mean that only urbanites panic buy do you think?

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:52 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:...[clip]...
Does this mean that only urbanites panic buy do you think?

Yes, because many would eat lunch at cafes or use sandwich bars while at work and maybe eat out in the evening, whilst now all densely populated urbanites are having to stay home even if not locked down given latest limiting restrictions and buy things they wouldn't even need in "normal" times. Or No, since panic is itself infectious so happens anywhere.

What did the government think would happen if we're told to be home recluses (again), whilst killing high street shops and hospitality venues at the same time?

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:24 am

How lucky am I? I tried a different supermarket and was offered a delivery for the 6th (2 days hence given it was after midnight) although I might be on a long-standing customer list with them or they release slots at midnight, dunno.

A fair few of the typical cheaper staples I buy were out of stock though not all and still enough choice of lots of things for a decent rounded order.

Can't help noticing that things like tins that were 70p or 80p are now £1, that magic price point, whilst former £1 items are now £1.25 or more, in both supermarkets. I feel some tight beltening (that lovely Malapropism) is required from now on. A diet of bread and wine sounds good.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:55 am

Being single I really only need a delivery from Sainsbury’s every two weeks and haven’t had a problem getting a slot. I booked for the 9th last week and got a slot between 12.00 and 1.00 pm for 50p. Mind you I did make the booking just after midnight when that days slots were released.

The last delivery was just after folks had started paid buying again but I got everything, including loo roll, I asked for with only one substitution. I still buy the occasional item from the shop but apart from an initial run on loo roll the shelves seem stocked as normal. Interesting to note that the forecast is for a shortage of Xmas puds this year :thumbsup

So far Sainsbury’s hasn’t imposed rationing on any items like other supermarkets have.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:32 pm

My prediction for future shortages is 'fresh' Christmas trees - and possibly artificial ones once people realize they can't get the ther type. Lots of people will be staying at home this year, many of us have become very house-centric. More people will decide they want trees than usual. I hope I am wrong. We always get ours at the last miniute and I'd be very sad not to have one. (But don't want one for weeks and weeks either.)

I could post this on FB and create a shortage... :?

We still have last year's Carved Angel Christmas pud to eat.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:37 am

I don´t know whether we´re on lockdown, phase two, Tier 6 - no idea here; but then the govt hasn´t got a clue either.
I walked up to the local Supermarket (Mini-Mart, in English :gonzo ) and bought some more food for the dog ( I´m SURE he´s got hollow legs), some cream, some yoghurt - and a dozen bottles of beer. Keep me stocked up for the weekend, at least.
The owner said to me:
" Wouldn´t you rather have a case of beer? It´s a whole lot cheaper."
" Yes,", I said, "but the car´s not working and I´m on foot"
" Give the man a case!" he replied, " I´ll drive you home"
Wonderful! Made my day!

Postby Rainbow » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:53 am

Great story, KK. What a great SM owner - I guess he knows you quite well :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:16 am

Now that’s service Clive! Don’t drink it all in one go ;)

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Excellent, Clive :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Cheers! Clive ...enjoy :thumbsup

I've just booked a Sainsbugs delivery for next Friday ... there seem to be loads of slots all week.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

My landline's been out for months despite visits from various engineers. One came on Wed, just after a heavy shopping delivery so it was clogging up the hall.

Normally, workmen just tut wanting to be in and out super quickly, but this one offered to move it and even take it all to the kitchen. My ghast was flabbered. I was glad of his moving it for me, although just out of the way for now. The phone is still down and will be for another couple of weeks (they say), but an unexpected gesture of help cheered me up :)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox