Register

Would You Pay This?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Would You Pay This?

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:00 am

I love chips and gravy. I used to enjoy the curry sauce too but can do longer have it as I’m allergic.

Yes to mushy peas and brown sauce too. I don’t eat fish but most of the chip shops round here do cheese & onion plate pies.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 am

Just salt and vinegar for me but if I had to have one of the others I'd go for gravy above curry sauce or mushy peas, both of which I think are really vile.

scullion wrote:that sounds ⅔ way to being that canadian food crime - poutine!

Has anyone here tried poutine? I would like to before I passed judgement.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 am

We have tried poutine on our last visit to Vancouver. It wasn't bad at all, considering it offends all my sensitivities. If we're having fish and chips or just chips from the chippy, it's simply S&V for me. I don't dislike mushy peas or tomato sauce, but (outside of the colonies) wouldn't consider gravy or curry sauce. As mentioned before, mushy peas never used to be available in chip shops where I grew up, some places did pease pudding, but that was for saveloys or suchlike and it would be considered odd to have it with fish & chips.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:35 pm

I never saw mushy peas anywhere in my youth either, BM, growing up in Kent. Our chippy did Fish & Chips, saveloys - and pineapple fritters.
Ooh, I think I´m going to buy a pineapple today :gonzo :gonzo

Postby mistakened » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Has anyone here tried poutine? I would like to before I passed judgement
Ditto
Personally, I just like tartare sauce with my F&C. Where did mushy peas originate?

Moira

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Is this what Fish and chip shop gravy is really like :shock:

https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/1289112- ... tyle-gravy

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Suffs, I can't reproduce it here but someone on the Yarmouth page on Facebook has posted a picture this morning of chips bought in the market place mixed with cheese and gravy the colour of that in your picture but much, much thicker. It has caused some comment from older people who remember when chips with salt and vinegar were the norm (and boy, they were good!) or tripe and chips!

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:49 pm

OMG ... tripe .... or even better, chitterlings and chips with salt and vinegar .... heaven wrapped in greaseproof :yum

Postby Seatallan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm

For me, fish & chips just aren't complete without mushy peas :yum

I'd never heard of poutine, but having just looked it up I'd be very happy to give it a go. Looks rather tasty to me.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
scullion wrote:that sounds ⅔ way to being that canadian food crime - poutine!

Has anyone here tried poutine? I would like to before I passed judgement.

Yes ... in Canada and not to my taste at all, but all the rage out there it seems :o :thumbsdown

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Suffs wrote:Fish and chips with gravy?!?!

How can you have fish with gravy?!?!

Most fish I wouldn't have with gravy, but battered fish in a chippy - mmmmmmmmmmm :yum

:yum
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Lokelani » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I'd pay a lot more to not have gravy with my fish & chips!

I'm also a bit fussy about not liking fish skin under the batter, so happily pay more for places that take the skin off their battered fish.

Last place I had fish & chips was just before lockdown at Rick Stein's in Padstow, so was not shocked by the farm shop prices.

It's a rare holiday treat for us, so I'd always pay more for better quality & or supporting a small local business particularly at this time. Might be a different case if there were more than 2 of us, like a family of 5 or something!

Postby Amyw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:01 pm

I agree about the whole soggy skin under the batter thing :thumbsdown !! I very rarely go for fish and chips but as it’s a treat when I do , I don’t mind paying a bit more for something good. It’s definitely not the cheap takeaway option anymore

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:50 pm

I had ling today for the 1st time ever..........very nice, quite firm and flavoursome fish. Have never seen it in a fishmongers either...?

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:19 am

I think that fish with gravy is akin to having roast beef with parsley sauce!

Agree with everyone about not having skin on battered fish - I've only come across it in chip shops "dahn sarf" - never seen it in't north.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:39 am

I remember ling being around when I was in my teens, but I think it was caught by sea anglers and the odd day boat rather than a major commercial fishery back then& there (central south coast)

Similar to pollack, but more streamlined

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 am

I've never had parsley sauce with roast beef but think it could be quite nice (better than gravy with fish!).

Like Sue, I remember Ling sold locally as a child but that's all. I don't remember eating it but may have done. Most childhood fish, apart from chip shop fish, seemed vile.

Re skin, on the east coast there was always skin on fried fish but it cooked up quite soft and edible and I never saw anyone leave it. It only dawned on me that it isn't always cooked with skin a few years ago when I was in Oxford with an American friend. We had fish and chips in a pub and the fish had skin. I didn't really notice but she made a huge fuss as she'd never seen it served like that before.
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 am

Fish & chips is a very rare treat for me and it's going to stay that way! :lol: I am happy to pay more for better quality. I have never come across battered fish with the skin on. When I was a child, mum always bought fresh fish, dipped in flour and then fried. Never from a fish&chip shop although there was one nearby. When I was out with a friend a couple of weeks ago, we had the pensioners meal, but we didn't want the bread and butter nor the mushy peas.

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am

Is ling the same as rock? My mum used to get very snotty with my dad if he came back with rock rather than cod.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Is ling the same as rock? My mum used to get very snotty with my dad if he came back with rock rather than cod.

No, ling is a gadoid like cod, pollack etc but rock is a completely different family of fish related to skate and shark

My dad grew up in the 1920s and 30s almost as far from the sea as you can get in England, I don’t suppose there was any kind of refrigeration in the village and never having encountered fresh fish he was suspicious of all fish and particularly f&c - Mum said his village chippy was poor, she grew up nearby and f&c there were very good on the days when fresh fish arrived and even the days after in winter

Anyway, when my dad went away f&c was our treat, 2 plaice and chips, no vinegar. The plaice was local day boat fish, lovely. No gravy, no mushy peas though I think some of the local chippies sold baked beans, though that might have been more the burger vans?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox