Register

Mushy Peas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mushy Peas

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 pm

I love my mushy peas be it with Fish & chips, Pie & chips, Pie & mash and such like
Always buy tinned from the supermarket.However this week for the first time in an age I bought dried Marrowfat I did the overnight soak method in Bi-carb.
OMG I had forgotten what proper mushy's tasted like, I always add Vinegar to the tinned these did not need it I was amazed how different they were.
I know they are not everyone's cup of tea (a bit like Marmite)
But just wondered put of interest how many of you use the old way, or do most of you buy tinned??.

Re: Mushy Peas

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:07 pm

I always buy tinned but I clearly remember Auntie Winnie doing the overnight soak with the disc wrapped in blue paper.

They were delicious.
Must have a go myself.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I always buy tinned but I clearly remember Auntie Winnie doing the overnight soak with the disc wrapped in blue paper.

They were delicious.
Must have a go myself.

You won;t regret it, I added one tsp of Bi-carb to boiling water, left overnight.
today swilled under running water, into pan with one tsp sugar & 1/2 salt it took about 40 mins on a very gentle simmer

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Yuk.

Postby halfateabag » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 pm

I was pleasantly surprised when I recently had 'fresh' mushy peas done with what equates to garden peas done with mint, not a puree but more a chunky mix. Do like proper mushy peas tho. PP give them another go, you may surprise yourself. Everyones tastes change over time...... My Dad refused to eat mashed potatoes for decades and then suddenly was given a plate with mash and even surprised himself.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm

I bought a packet for husband, who loves them, but they've not been made yet...

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:55 pm

i only buy them for when we need a speedy soup and i fancy pea rather than tomato.
never* eat them otherwise - they remind me of one of the less good meals at primary school.

*other than the pot we had from the chip shop, a few weeks back.
i won't be buying them again - it seems it still hasn't been long enough, since primary school, to be surprised.

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 pm

YUK!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 am

I don’t mind them but not really keen. Friend taught me to put a little mint sauce in - it helps :D

Postby Rainbow » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 am

I'm in the Yuk camp, too :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 am

I don´t believe I´ve EVER eaten mushy peas.
Not to say I wouldn´t, but not something I would die for :lol: :lol:

Postby Hickybank » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:30 am

Rainbow wrote:I'm in the Yuk camp, too :lol:

Food of he gods along with Marmite
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 am

I feel quite guilty for disliking mushy peas. I really struggle with the texture of any mashed legumes whether pease pud, dahl or soup but know what a wonderful source of nourishment they have been to countless generations in the winter and how grateful I would have been - and still would be - to have had them as a warming meal in the days when winter food was scarce. I'm better than I was but marrowfat or split peas are still in my head as evil childhood foods and I still dislike the texture.

Why anyone would mash beautiful garden peas is beyond me - 'crushed peas' on a menu fills my heart with dread.

Postby Seatallan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:47 am

Hickybank wrote:
Rainbow wrote:I'm in the Yuk camp, too :lol:

Food of he gods along with Marmite
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh absolutely. I make my own sometimes (always the best) but I'm perfectly happy with tinned ones too. Like Sue, I sometimes have mint sauce with them (my Yorkshire MIL always did) and it's a wonderful combination. Just adore mushy peas.... :yum

(As did our previous cat by the way. If I bought or made mushy peas I always had to do extra so he could have a portion :lol: )
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 am

for me it's mainly the taste - i'm quite happy with the texture of humous etc but the unadulterated flavour of marrowfat peas just doesn't float my boat (ok, combined with their denseness and flouriness).
they would need plenty of additions to make them a more desirable proposition.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:01 am

Earthmaiden wrote:
Why anyone would mash beautiful garden peas is beyond me - 'crushed peas' on a menu fills my heart with dread.

I think making mushy peas from dried peas and crushing frozen peas are 2 completely different animals. Surely dried peas are only another way of storing what was once a fresh vegetable and before the days of freezers. :? They don't even taste the same. I don't dislike mushy peas, but they aren't my first choice of pea ... ;)

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 am

they, and other dried peas are good for making pea shoots, too, so i suppose they do have their place.

Postby Kacey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 am

I love both tinned and 'proper' ones. There's a great little real ale micropub a bus ride away who have a bit pot bubbling away and sell them by the paper cup full with a dollop of mint sauce on top, they're delicious. If only they'd fry a few chips too, this girl would be in heaven!

Postby Hickybank » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm

I once made some Steak pies & rather than a pastry topping I used Mushy peas, they were delicious.
Last edited by Hickybank on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:28 pm

scullion wrote:they, and other dried peas are good for making pea shoots, too, so i suppose they do have their place.

I don't recall ever having had mushy peas, but I like the idea of growing your own peashoots! Must investigate!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox