Register

Seasonal Greetings

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Seasonal Greetings

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:13 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Great thinking from the Suffolk Gazette!!

Don't think it was originated by the Suffolk Gazette - it's been all over t'Internet for a couple of weeks!

I'd heard that turkeys were being panic bought too.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:49 pm

The food supermarkets always trial food items early at an inflated price to see how many takers there are for stock ordering and then they adjust pricing once lookalike items and undercutting price competition emerges.

The food offered is interesting. Sumptuous banquet tables & items could be a big mistake. Their "instant" party tray services might also go by the board (£ouch for their profit). I'm glad I'm not in the PR and buying hot seat with such an uncertain outlook.

Iceland tend to come up with good bite-size goodies. I'll leave M&S to keep getting it wrong for now ;)

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:54 pm

karadekoolaid, fingers crossed for you. Have you got your fridge and freezer working properly now? Our news is all covid so not much international except Trump and the US election.

Apols to others as should be in Chatterbox, but Clive doesn't go there.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Thank you, Jeral.I´ve got a borrowed fridge and the other Fridge/Freezer is working, providing I turn it off one day a week since it doesn´t have an element to control frosting/defrosting. It works ok!

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:52 pm

We've already sorted the pud for Xmas Day. Apple pie. HM of course :yum

We won't be getting turkey - too much for the 3 of us.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 pm

The Sunday Times had a feature on the front page today claiming that turkey producers are downsizing their Christmas birds! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:30 pm

I got a bizarre email from Boots about how to approach Christmas safely in a pandemic

I was too annoyed to read it properly, but it seemed I should avoid The Virus by shopping online at Boots

Is it just me or have Boots gone severely downhill in recent years? Both nearby branches are unpleasantly tacky now

Postby aero280 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Boots is a subsidiary of Walgreens, a big USA pharmaceutical firm.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:38 pm

Boots are now more of a department store with a pharmacy ... not necessarily downhill, but definitely different.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:11 am

The difference being that Boots was quite a nice department store but is just boring now with awful shelf labelling.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:14 am

Before Walgreens there used to be actual Boots department stores, I think possibly a legacy of when they took over Timothy Whites, which had become mainly hardware stores. There was one in Wood Green Shopping Centre

But there are 2 moderately sized ones near here and they are truly awful, untidy, under staffed, lousy stock control, I really avoid them. The big one in Islington is a bit better, and does eye and hearing tests and has a massive, over lit, beauty area. Plenty of independent pharmacies though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:11 am

The Sunday Times had a feature on the front page today claiming that turkey producers are downsizing their Christmas birds!

It´s true Pepper.
Look what they´re offering now:
2020 Christmas Turkey.jpg
2020 Christmas Turkey.jpg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 3465 times

:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:43 am

Oh ... the big Boots in the big smart Chapelfield Mall is rather smart ... at least it was last time I was there ... I concede that was in late February tho.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:05 pm

It may be regional - after all the 2 tatty branches I have mentioned both have the same area manager

Also I think the bigger ones may have “floor managers” or whatever they call them to run the non-medical areas, thinking about it if I do want want anything I’m more likely to get from Boots than from my local pharmacy I go to the big one at Liverpool Street Station where there are always staff on the floor tidying and shelf stacking

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 am

This might be the wrong thread, but I heard on the radio that Ocado's Christmas slots were already fully booked. I've no doubt they'll be kept and maybe more will be found with temporary extra resources for the period. Or, will people have already panic-bought enough way before then? Might be a cunning plan to book a Jan slot for reduced offers...

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 am

Earthmaiden wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/morrisons-christmas-box-how-to-buy-151955488.html

The Morrison’s box doesn’t look bad to be honest - their “The Best” stuff is generally ok. Interesting that it includes mince pies but replaces the pud with a Yule log

It’s really hard to find on their web site as it’s listed under food boxes not Christmas
https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/bo ... -trimmings

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:35 am

jeral wrote:This might be the wrong thread, but I heard on the radio that Ocado's Christmas slots were already fully booked. I've no doubt they'll be kept and maybe more will be found with temporary extra resources for the period. Or, will people have already panic-bought enough way before then? Might be a cunning plan to book a Jan slot for reduced offers...

I very much doubt that Ocado's Christmas slots have been booked up as they haven't been released yet!

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:21 am

Pampy, they were released to smart pass holders earlier this week and were booked up immediately. I tried at 8am and there was nothing left. I had an email from them offering me a month refund on my smart pass.

To be honest I wasn’t going to bother anyway, the slots were £9.99 each with a minimum spend of £90!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 am

Whilst the Morrisons box is a good idea, especially if arranged as a gift, it only really covers one, or possibly two meals and there are no drinks of any kind. Extra shopping would be required to cover the period.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox