Register

Eggscellent?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Eggscellent?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am

We’ve been discussing eggs and animal welfare a bit on various threads and recently I discovered a new business selling and delivering eggs locally

Here’s their website
https://dalstoneggshop.com/

I find it virtually impossible to read the front page due to the choice of colours but as far as I can tell the only positive claims they make are
1 very fresh eggs
2 free range eggs to high welfare standards (but no location or certification given)
They seem to waffle on about supermarket eggs in mixed sizes being “tiny” (not my experience) but don’t commit to the size of their eggs
The price starts at £5.20 per dozen, reducing if you buy more and delivery is 99p but you can collect free of charge

This seems to me to be quite expensive, for comparison, ignoring special offers, Morrison’s free range extra large work out at £2.60 per dozen - exactly half the cost, and mixed size organic are about the same price

https://groceries.morrisons.com/browse/ ... ggs-177330

Clarence Court eggs, which are a widely available premium brand are £4 to £5.60 per dozen which I suppose is comparable

I don’t think I’ll be buying, and I wonder if, in an area like this, people might pay the price for certified organic eggs but not for eggs of this rather vague provenance? I can get organic eggs for about £4.60 - £5 per dozen from any of several local independent shops

Would you use a delivery service like this? (there’s not a lot of milk delivery round here so that’s not really the competition)

Re: Eggscellent?

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 am

That does seem expensive, when there's no mention of size, welfare or what checks are made for food safety. I wonder how they train the hens to lay on Wednesday? :D ;)

I usually buy white-shelled, mixed sizes, free-range eggs from Waitrose at £2 a dozen. There is the occasional smallish egg, but most are at least 'medium' and occasionally large.

Any small ones are used in omelettes etc, rather than baking, so it's not a problem.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 am

I really hope they do well with their venture but agree with all you say. Having things delivered is such a pain, especially in flats as much of that area would be (I imagine). There is no mention of provenance and the fact they are stamped, whilst good in some respects, does not help with the 'straight off the farm' feel they're trying to promote. Unless they diversify and join with others to deliver food boxes containing other items as well or perhaps sell dairy produce/'farm goods' in the shop I would think they'd struggle. As you say, it is possible to get organic XL eggs at the local supermarket, I wonder how many go to separate shops for everything. It won't attract the growing number of vegans either.

Postby smitch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:52 am

I can get 6 organic, free range, local eggs for £1.75 from my veg box woman. The farm they came from is on the box.

I rarely eat eggs and always buy organic free range.

Even allowing for London expenses this company seems pricy. I would be reluctant to buy anyway with the vague statements.

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm

nothing gets delivered down our lane - other than online shopping orders.
if i go over to the farm for eggs they cost me a pound for half a dozen of mixed sizes and colours (including blue) - one fifty to the general public. we don't use many eggs. i think we have half a dozen in the fridge that i bought a few weeks ago. i should float them to see if they're still ok.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:18 pm

They're just resellers, and possibly new at it which may explain the prices and lack of any sort of certification info on the website about their supply source which seems to deliver to them on Thursdays which is why they seem to be making claims the their eggs are laid on Wednesdays. I dunno. Take a walk and visit them, Stokey!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm

They don't actually have a shop as such, in which you can browse, just a place where you can collect your order by arrangement

I see they do in fact say that the eggs are large, average weight 67g but reading anything in that mass of yellow is tough

I bought 6 large certified organic eggs for £2.49 just now, BB 03 Nov - I just weighed them and thy average 61.5g (large is >60 g)

So it's a slightly better offer than I thought but what intrigues me is that it is so very niche, I'm wondering if this is a business model we'll see for other foods, will we go back to the muffin man and the watercress seller?

I still think they need to be organic for the foodie market round here, my former butcher used to say you couldn't charge the premium price needed to make a profit on small scale high welfare animal products without that badge of quality/virtue

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:what intrigues me is that it is so very niche, I'm wondering if this is a business model we'll see for other foods, will we go back to the muffin man and the watercress seller?

It makes more sense if they haven't got the overheads of premises. They could do it on top of a day job. However, if they're delivering they'll need to factor in more than a muffin man's tray! I'll be really interested to know if they do well.

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:what intrigues me is that it is so very niche, I'm wondering if this is a business model we'll see for other foods, will we go back to the muffin man and the watercress seller?

It makes more sense if they haven't got the overheads of premises. They could do it on top of a day job. However, if they're delivering they'll need to factor in more than a muffin man's tray! I'll be really interested to know if they do well.

They're delivering by bike, so at the moment it looks like a fledgling business which they hope to develop. I can't imagine there's a lot of profit in the amount you can carry on a bike, even with the big delivery charge.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby miss mouse » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Our eggs are laid on Wednesdays and delivered to us on Thursdays.

Wow, those are well-trained hens.

According to Farming Today some while ago the mixed box sizes help the egg producers, the catering trade wants all large they told the listeners, I did say it was a while ago. More recently, the last few days on Farming Today again there is hot competition in the free range egg market and many producers will go out of business they said. Don't shoot the messenger please.

Suelle;

They're delivering by bike, so at the moment it looks like a fledgling business which they hope to develop. I can't imagine there's a lot of profit in the amount you can carry on a bike, even with the big delivery charge.

With luck that is the way things are going in London. An awful lot can be carried by bike.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox