Register

How do I use dried apples?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

How do I use dried apples?

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:24 pm

I've recently bought a dehydrator and amongst other things, have dried (in rings) most of the apples from my tree. Then I realised that I haven't a clue what I can use them in, and how. So - suggestions and advice most welcome!
Edited to say - they're dessert apples - James Grieve.

Re: How do I use dried apples?

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:38 pm

rehydrate and use in crumbles? chop up and use in bircher type muesli (or in ordinary muesli) in cakes etc, as dried fruit in any recipe or just eat instead of sweets?

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:57 pm

What's the best way to rehydrate them? Does soaking in water then draining lose some of the flavour?

Postby Seatallan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Apple flan? Love those flans with caramelised apple rings on top. Or upside down cake? :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby mistakened » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Jamie Oliver's Apple Crumble Cookies, v simple, I add extra cinnamon
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fru ... le-cookies

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Seatallan wrote:Apple flan? Love those flans with caramelised apple rings on top. Or upside down cake? :yum

I don't have a problem using apples in general, it's how to use dried apples in recipes - ie do they need to be rehydrated first - and if so, how to do that.

Postby scullion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 pm

try a couple in a little water to see how they come out?
i really like the packets of dried compote, with apple in, that can be rehydrated as a breakfast thing. i always forget about it until i come across it in breakfast buffets in hotels etc, think 'must remember to get one when we get home' - then forget again.
i must admit i've been eating them 'as is' as a snack.
i used to buy them instead of sweets for the kids when they were small - ok, i'd let them have some of mine...

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm

I had American friends who used to dry a lot of apples. Their method was 1 cup of apples to one cup of hot liquid (water, apple juice or a mix) left for an hour or so. That said, they used them mainly as a snack food all winter and there was always a jar to hand from which one could help oneself!

I think that for any recipe which didn't call for dried apple and was not going to sit in warm liquid for any length of time you'd need to reconstitute first.

I feel sure that in some recipes you could utilise the liquor afterwards or just chill and drink.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Pampy wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Apple flan? Love those flans with caramelised apple rings on top. Or upside down cake? :yum

I don't have a problem using apples in general, it's how to use dried apples in recipes - ie do they need to be rehydrated first - and if so, how to do that.

Sorry Pampy, I just meant that I can imagine dried apple rings would work well in those sorts of puds/cakes.

Postby Pampy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:52 pm

No apology needed! I wasn't having a pop at you - just wanted to clarify what I meant - I'm very good at being as clear as mud!

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Lucky girl Pampy.....! James Grieve is a lovely flavoured apple - I had a tree many yonks ago & many house-moves ago - you don't come across it much now so I'm not surprised you're drying them - I can't help with any more than others have suggested, but I remember a thread that I think perhaps our Dena had started when she bought a dehydrator.........perhaps Sakkarin will be able to find it......?

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Yes, I agree about James Grieve. We had a fabulous JG in our garden when I was little.

I planted one here about 5 or 6 years ago, hoping to recreate some of those delicious childhood experiences but unfortunately it has never thrived. We don't have much earth in the garden so there wasn't much choice on where to position it and it's probably simply in the wrong place.

Postby Suelle » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Snack on them!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Hope » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm

I use them in cakes with other dried fruit (best soaked in something first), or rehydrate them and use as fresh apples. or just snack on them as they are (that's my son's favourite!)

Postby DEB » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

My daughters cut them up and add them to hot oat ceral.
I use them in flapjack dried, and other biscuits where you would add glace cherrys, and or dried fruit.
I even add then to pork and chicken cassrols, esp if the liquid is cider.

Postby Seatallan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Pampy wrote:No apology needed! I wasn't having a pop at you - just wanted to clarify what I meant - I'm very good at being as clear as mud!

Not at all Pampy! :D

How about granola bars? This looks like a rather nice recipe for example:

https://lovelylittlekitchen.com/healthy ... nola-bars/

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:55 am

Lots of good ideas and advice - many thanks all!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 am

I don't know.
But if you freeze a couple, will they be rehydrated for you when they defrost at room temp, Pampy?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:02 am

I don’t think freezing will do anything for them, rehydration requires immersion in quite a lot of liquid

Like scully my first thought was “breakfast“ compote, I haven’t had any for a while either, partly because it tended to disappear as snacks before turning into compote

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:21 pm

If I were using them to cook with, I´d either rehydrate them or make sure what ever I were cooking had plenty of liquid in it. If they were for a snack/mixed snack, I´d just mince or chop them, probably.
I think the only time I´ve used dried apples in the past 20 years (apples are not native to the tropics) was in a Tomato & Apple chutney, where they worked rather well, because the extra liquid in the tomatoes was soaked up by the apples.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox