Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 am

What do you do for cheeses like that in Venezuela? Do you have a source of good British cheese or do you have to wait for friends to bring it for you or get it yourself when you're here? If that's the case, I think you're sadly going to have a long wait atm :cry:

I´m afraid I can´t do anything. I can occasionally find some imported blue cheese, but VERY occasionally, and at exorbitant prices. Local cheese is 1) white 2) white 3) white 4) yellow gunk 5) white and 6 )goat cheese, so I´m spoiled for choice. I don´t object to the white cheese; I just get bored with same old, same old.
There ar absolutely no sources of British cheese in Venezuela, so I have to rely on travellers (or me) bringing some back.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:44 pm

That's rotten, KKA, very sad :thumbsdown
You must really get bored with the same old same old all the time :thumbsdown

Postby halfateabag » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:41 pm

My oven went on on Saturday when the sun was out (solar panels) and I concocted a savoury baked roll (like baked jam roll but without the jam) I had a jar of some eastern european veg in a red tomato pepper sauce. I chopped some green peppers onion and garlic on to the suet pastry and rolled it up, wrapped it in greased greaseproof paper and baked it in the oven. It is delicious (according to him) and will give us about 8 portions. It warms up well in the M'wave. We shall have that again.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 am

Sounds delicious! I´ve got some puff pastry in the fridge; might just do that for tomorrow!

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:17 am

I tried to emulate a fruit roulade/strudel using puff pastry by rolling it up into a fairly thin log. 'Twas a disaster. Only the outer layer of the pastry cooked; the inside a raw, sodden mess, inedible and irretrievable. I concluded, genius(!), that puff pastry is not meant to be rolled up :lol:

Veggie suet I buy with big intentions of using it... Your result, halfateabag, is most encouraging.

Postby halfateabag » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 am

I would add that it was only just a roll but it did crisp up on the outside and the inside was bouncy and moist. :yum

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:40 pm

I am making Ottolenghi's mushroomy vegetarian ragu tray bake. It's ion teh over at stage two. I have high hopes based on a little taste at the end of stage 1.

I think I need a new mini chopper, unless I can get a replacement bowl.

edit: ooh I think I can!

edit 2: but barely worth it if I want a new lid too.

These things do seem to break easily. My KitchenAid lid is also in a poor state.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Breakfast was porridge made with oat milk and topped with chopped pear and a splash of maple syrup.

Dinner was a spiced sweet potato pasty from a vegan trader who is doing home deliveries at the moment as her usual markets are cancelled.

For tea, we had a cheesy Quorn fillet with new potatoes and sautéed greens from my veg box. We had kale, cabbage, courgette, fennel and spring onion with a bit of chilli & garlic butter.

No idea about tomorrow, maybe pasta.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 pm

The ragu is very nice, but I am perplexed. It's spicy. It has nothing spicy in it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:36 pm

I tried to emulate a fruit roulade/strudel using puff pastry by rolling it up into a fairly thin log.

Been there, done that , Jeral. I concluded that logs are out; just seal the fruit into a cylinder. I´ve got not idea how the professionals do it!

Last night it absolutely bucketed down from 6pm to midnight. THEN we had a power cut until 6-30am. So by the time I got up I was ready to take on Mike Tyson - and win. I needed a PROPER breakfast, so I made my version of a McD´s Egg McMuffin: fried sausage, fried egg, fried tomato, melted cheese, mayo, mustard and ketchup, all delicately enveloped in two slices of bread and fried (once more) in butter.
Who said yoghurt, kefir, berries,granola and almond milk?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My version Egg McMuffin.jpg
My version Egg McMuffin.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 3946 times

the C4 in the background is my signature hot pepper sauce.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:18 pm

Sounds like you deserved it KKA :thumbsup :thumbsup :lol: :lol:

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm

smitch wrote:Breakfast was porridge made with oat milk and topped with chopped pear and a splash of maple syrup.

Dinner was a spiced sweet potato pasty from a vegan trader who is doing home deliveries at the moment as her usual markets are cancelled.

For tea, we had a cheesy Quorn fillet with new potatoes and sautéed greens from my veg box. We had kale, cabbage, courgette, fennel and spring onion with a bit of chilli & garlic butter.

No idea about tomorrow, maybe pasta.

Your dinner sounds really nice smitch . Are the quorn fillets good ?

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Amy, I think their ‘chicken’ style items are their most successful products, I’m not a huge fan of some of their other stuff. My omni OH likes them too.

I’ve really been enjoying sautéed greens recently. Since I started ordering stuff locally we’ve been eating a much wider range of veg and I’ve been much more inventive with our meals.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:50 pm

karadekoolaid wrote: I made my version of a McD´s Egg McMuffin: fried sausage, fried egg, fried tomato, melted cheese, mayo, mustard and ketchup, all delicately enveloped in two slices of bread and fried (once more) in butter.

Definitely Dude Food................!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Hahahaha!!
Perhaps I should have battered and deep-fried it :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Are you sure you're not Glaswegian Clive.......?!?!

Stabbed all over & well marinated Char Sui Pork with spicy udon noodles & prawns here last night - 'twas good!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Ohhh the egg McMuffin!! :D

We had smashed hash browns baked with eggs, spinach and peppers this morning. Coriander for OH and eldest DD, chilli sauce for me and OH. Ketchup for the girls. Satsumas after.

Dinner was a feast of filled Mexican soft tortilla ‘boats’ with spiced crispy pork belly, paprika lime chicken thighs, charred corn, chopped salad, Cajun wedges, pickled chillies, guacamole, rough salsa and grated cheddar. Yoghurt and apple wedges after. We’re toying with popcorn with a film but really we’re too full!

Postby Kacey » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Tonight we had the butter beans from Ottolenghi's recipe in todays Guardian. We had a bit of a hotch potch to go with it, the tomato and chillli roast potatoes and the yogurt roast cauliflower from Falastin. The cauliflower was delicious, will definitely make again, and will utilise the salad bit for other stuff

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:04 pm

I liked an egg McMuffin when I first had one but that gooey cheese is very odd and I’ve gone off them

Yesterday I made the saffron fish stew from Casa Moro, as written except that I finished with mussels instead of clams and had to modify the method slightly to accommodate some huge mussels and to be able to reheat part 2 tonight, I have mussels on the half shell refrigerated separately from the fish stew.
As part of my prep I made the Casa Moro fish stock and have some frozen :thumbsup

If anyone is thinking of eating mussels get some, they seem to be specially large and sweet at the moment, perhaps because they weren’t harvested in spring but left to grow?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:55 pm

Lots of salmon recently. We had salmon and corn chowder yesterday and had salmon baked with vegetables, sliced potatoes, lemon, chilli and smoked oil tonight.

We have made a batch of breakfast muffins to use up lots of bits from the fridge...cheese, ham, corn, peppers, basil and spinach. Plus a few with chilli sauce added for us.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox