Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 pm

I think Schrager and and Hartnett are really just cooks whereas Mary’s citation is for services to cookery, to broadcasting and, which I think is the big difference, to charity - she did a lot of work with relevant charities after her son died aged 19 in a car crash, including participating in documentaries. The idea is you don’t get it just for doing the day job

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:52 am

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...
The idea is you don’t get it just for doing the day job

Fair enough re Dame Mary being deserving then.

I think some might argue with your above comment given some of the examples which have hit the news pages. Also, seemingly companies exist who "promote" a person, one way or another, at a price of £000s, and always recommend "charity work", no doubt tax efficient, as a good step if someone is desirous of an honour. Honours are a wondrous thing, right?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm

That why I said it’s the idea not that it’s what happens!

Conversely there are people who might reasonably expect a minor honour but don’t get one, because the people who might nominate the. don’t appreciate how easy it would be to get the ball rolling

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes Stokey Sue, and it must mean the world to those least expecting one whose mind it never crossed when quietly doing their good work, including bravery et al.

It's unfortunate how much genuine awards have become devalued due to certain "selective" allocations over the last several years isn't it?
Edited due to the curse of the dreaded apostrophe, tsk!.
Last edited by jeral on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Nigel's making a smoked mackerel potato salad today. Actually it's just what I fancy but I've already done the shopping and didn't get any of those ingredients.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... d-potatoes

And missed from the weekend Baked Carrot Falafel.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... ot-falafel

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:53 pm

To be fair, Jeral, Angela Hartnett and JO have already got MBEs. I´ve never heard of the other lady.
And as a comparison, David Attenborough was awarded a CBE in 1974, but was only knighted in 1985.

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 am

Hi karadekoolaid, I had a feeling the other two might have awards but t'was too late (and me too tired) to check. I knew of their "good works" though, just for some reason not Dame Mary's.

Rosemary Schrager is a very old-school traditional English cook and trainer (pheasant, offal , aspic 'R' us). She was also the matronly tutor in the hostel (flash country hotel) of the TV reality series Ladette to Lady, heading a sort of debutante school teaching streetwise gels how to set the table and curtsey before a landed gentry potential beau on the final ball night. ("Love Island" today is a million miles away in more ways than distance, lol.)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm

I don't think Rosemary Schrager did herself any favours when she was in the jungle on ' I'm a celeb - get my out etc.etc.'

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:07 pm

No she didn't but she was much softer, kinder in the Marigold Hotel mock-up. I quite warmed to her in the end.

Got freezer fruit and veg to use up?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -clafoutis

And how much attention do you pay to table decoration? In the days when I really cooked I was a massive over-caterer so there was never much room for fancy settings.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... blescaping

And Felicity is making baked beans . . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... asterclass

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Most confusing to mention clafoutis with a picture of a filo pie above it! I worked it out in the end.

I'm hopeless at origami so making fancily folded paper napkins fills me with terror. Given that the average house or flat being built these days barely has room for a table I think that minimalist is a good look out of necessity in many cases. If you have got room it's rather nice to dress a table but it does have to be a very large table if you like to put serving dishes and accompaniments on it as well. Something I really hate is when the plates to be used for the meal are stacked on top of each other at the table at the start, e.g. a soup bowl on top of a dinner plate. Why would anyone do that?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:14 pm

I too have never really had space for fancy "tablescaping" - having said I'd never want one I was really quite pleased when someone gave me a Christmas tablecloth, as it makes the table look ready for the special occasion, but takes up none of the space actual decorations would

I'm not fussed about fancy napkin folds either, as long as I get one

Earthmaiden wrote:Something I really hate is when the plates to be used for the meal are stacked on top of each other at the table at the start, e.g. a soup bowl on top of a dinner plate. Why would anyone do that?

I don't see the problem - why would you not do that, unless you specially want hot plates for some of the courses? I don't often find it done when eating at friend's houses in England, but in France, and elsewhere in continental Europe it seems to be the norm. Where else do you put the plates during the soup course unless you have a big sideboard to stack them on?

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:20 pm

I didn't see Rosemary in "I'm a....". Does anyone come out looking good? But yes, appearing in it does rather blot the elegance copybook somewhat ;)

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Don't think you could ever call Rosemary elegant - but if you had seen her in the jungle - shameful & shameful - plus more - really cringeworthy ........!!

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Don't think you could ever call Rosemary elegant - but if you had seen her in the jungle - shameful & shameful - plus more - really cringeworthy ........!!

I only watched one or two episodes at the outset years ago and decided it was all just cringeworthy and hardly entertainment, more wasted time spent watching you'll never get back.

The entrants receive a varying fee, something like £75K upwards I think, so perhaps that's more useful to has-beens or those at the end of their earning career than a worthless honour that they can't cash in on, as others might via the after-dinner speaking circuit or money-for-old-rope figurehead "Sir" etc myriad directorships for an hour a month.

Nice work if you can get it, although figures have been unearthed today about how many taxpayer £sssss some test and trace consultants have been paid. Always good to know that when it's our money being spent, it's being spent wisely isn't it? And they won't be tasked with eating bugs, just quaffing the good stuff. Even nicer work if you can get it. Anyone know anyone to get us an "in", nudge nudge wink wink?

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:07 am

The starting point for contestants' pay is around £25K. The maximum ever paid is reputed to be £500K for Caitlyn Jenner last year.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am

Kosambari salad from last year's Bake Off winner.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/o ... bari-salad

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:20 pm

That sounds very nice.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

unfortunately, he's not alone... and i'm in good company!

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Mine was like that well before Covid!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox