Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm

Tonight will be picalilli spiced rice, served with sausages.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... piced-rice

Postby Hope » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:02 pm

It feels like a stew/stoup kind of week this week. So that'll be tomorrow's dinner. I *might* just see if I can make it just using garden veg. always fun having a garden-only challenge!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 pm

Last night was supposed to be chicken, pancetta and leek pie but the pastry didn’t happen so instead I added potatoes, sweetcorn, savoy cabbage and more stock to the pie filling and turned it into a chowder. I also added one chilli just because. I was worried it would be a bit weird in a chowder but it was lovely. Especially on a horrible wet weather day.

Tonight we’ve had dan dan noodles. They were a bit too spicy but good otherwise. Note to self that the current selection of chillies in the fridge are hot ones so only one is required :lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Arghh, just made this broccoli and blue cheese quiche https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-hartnett
but there is still a lot of liquid and it doesn't seem to have set properly.
Have just put it back in the oven for a bit longer, probably the wrong thing to do. I'm wondering if it's because I glazed the inside of the pastry with egg white so it wouldn't get soggy. i've never actually done that before and maybe should have adjusted other things accordingly. I also didn't have 200ml double cream so used single and some milk. But they were large eggs ...

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 pm

I don't think brushing with egg white will have made any difference - unless you used the whites that were supposed to go into the quiche? I usually use milk so unless you used too much in ratio to the eggs I doubt it is that either.

I see she says she likes it 'eggy', a lot of people do. Personally, I think 20 minutes baking time would be quite borderline if you don't like it runny.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:22 pm

We had this tonight.
It used up half of a pork fillet, some beans from the garden (Which I added to the rice along with the peas) and a rather tired spring onion.

Delicious, it's a keeper.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chi ... fried-rice

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 pm

What a lovely recipe WW and it's one that I look forward to trying! Thanks for the photo and recipe.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:56 am

That looks good WWordsworth, though 225g of cooked rice doesn’t seem enough for 4 people

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 am

I don't eat pork but the recipe looks like it would be good with chicken too - I'm going to give it a try. I agree with Sue - 225g of cooked rice doesn't sound like enough for 4 people.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:24 am

We have pretty healthy appetites I did my usual quantity of dry rice which is about 130g for two of us..
I use a particular glass to measure it by volume.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:19 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I use a particular glass to measure it by volume

Many years ago my ex, atypically, decided to do a bit of decluttering :thumbsup after which I couldn’t find a particular decorated whisky glass, which was a shame as it was my rice measure and (atypically for me) I’d never checked the volume :thumbsdown

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I don't think brushing with egg white will have made any difference - unless you used the whites that were supposed to go into the quiche? I usually use milk so unless you used too much in ratio to the eggs I doubt it is that either.

I see she says she likes it 'eggy', a lot of people do. Personally, I think 20 minutes baking time would be quite borderline if you don't like it runny.

Good to know you usually use milk, EM, OH was wondering if that might have made a difference, but then he has never ever made anything remotely resembling a quiche.

Hmm, the picture shows it perfectly cooked, not runny at all, a case of, how does that saying go? Do as I say, not as I do?! :lol: Or is it the other way round :D

I will definitely give it longer to begin with next time. At least it is very tasty :thumbsup and Asda's ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, further rolled to make it thinner, was excellent and crisp.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:31 pm

WWordsworth wrote:We have pretty healthy appetites I did my usual quantity of dry rice which is about 130g for two of us..
I use a particular glass to measure it by volume.

I think that would equate to about 260g when cooked.

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 pm

I find my best results with quiche include cream but then doesn’t the higher calorie options always seem to yield the best results :P . Saying that I think quiches are perfectly fine just using milk with eggs . What a shame it didn’t work , I can’t see the egg white making much difference , although it’s something I’ve never done myself

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:01 pm

KeenCook2, when I make egg custard (egg milk sugar) they take the best part of 35mins even if I make quarter size (4" dia x 1" deep) ones. I do like quiche to be set, whereas some like the softer creamy texture.

Some eggs are waterier than others. Apparently farmers try to adjust chicken feed to get this right for consumer preference. You could try straining yours through a tea strainer, so the water but not the white or yolk runs through; it does work.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:20 pm

I´d agree with Jeral that a quiche would normally take around 35 minutes, but the recipe did say a pre-baked tart case, so that would probably take 15 minutes off the final cooking time for the pastry.
4 eggs seems like a lot to me; I usually only use 3 for a standard quiche, and I use milk & cream combined, but perhaps 200 mls is a lot. I´m not going to argue with Angela Hartnett; she obviously knows what she´s doing!
The only other thing I wondered was the broccoli - it retains loads of water if not properly drained after cooking.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm definitely going to start with more time for it next time I make it. I think I'll start looking at it at about 30 to 35 mins. And I'm not going to be too concerned about the cream/milk thing. Interesting about straining off the water, jeral.

karadekoolaid wrote:I´m not going to argue with Angela Hartnett; she obviously knows what she´s doing!
The only other thing I wondered was the broccoli - it retains loads of water if not properly drained after cooking.

I wondered about the broccoli, too, KKA. I had zapped it in the microwave with no added water other than what remained on it after washing it, and when I arranged it on the pastry it didn't seem to be leaking water.

The experience I've had with Hartnett's recipes in the past is that they were a bit bland, which this one isn't. But that she knows what she's doing?! Good question :D Nigel Slater once posted a recipe for a tomato dish and didn't list any tomatoes in the ingredients :roll:
OH said the one in the picture was probably just one of 3 or 4 they made for the shoot and there was no guarantee it had been made according to the precise recipe :lol:

Something else I wondered was that I didn't have blue stilton but a 150g wedge of Castello Danish blue. Is it possible the cheese would have significantly changed the consistency :?:

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Given the choice of Danish Blue and Stilton, I´d go for Stilton any day of the week. I find Danish Blue to be a very harsh flavour, generally, where Stilton is way more creamy.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm

If I'd bought it specially, yes, I'd have got the stilton - and done it "right" :lol: but we had the other, and the broccoli and pastry to use up, and often had it in a very good broccoli and walnut salad with a mustardy dressing over the summer with some nice crusty baguette.
It will be interesting to compare when we do it again.

That said, there's a big difference between different stiltons, isn't there? I haven't found a standard
supermarket one that I would always go back for. Some of them seem to have a bit of an unpleasant, somewhat harsh aftertaste.

What do you do for cheeses like that in Venezuela? Do you have a source of good British cheese or do you have to wait for friends to bring it for you or get it yourself when you're here? If that's the case, I think you're sadly going to have a long wait atm :cry:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:42 pm

I watched Simon Hopkinson make quiche Lorraine on TV today - 3 eggs and 4 extra yolks with whipping cream for the custard
He made a deep quiche, with all the bacon sunk to the bottom. which made me feel better about some of mine

I made Diana Henry’s Simple Goan Fish Curry tonight, ok, detailed report on Curry’s thread

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox