Register

Bargain Basement

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Bargain Basement

Postby Suelle » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:16 pm

jeral wrote:
It annoys me , as well as being stupid, that you can't get the hoods off any spray bottles to refill them now. If I find a successful way, I'll let you know.

Cif are selling some of their cleaning sprays as being refillable, and have the concentrated refills next to them on the shelf, so you must be able to get the tops off those. I hope so, as I bought one!
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:38 pm

I have just heard about an online shopping site called Approved Food. Apparently they sell foods nearing use by dates etc cheaply. I know nothing about them but thought that some people here might be interested.
https://www.approvedfood.co.uk/

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:09 pm

I've posted about Approved Food before. I occasionally buy from there - best bargain was a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Star of Bombay for £15!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Sorry Pampy, I didn't realise.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:32 pm

No apology necessary - it was BW (before Wildie!).

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm interested if anyone has done a taste comparison with own brand, inexpensive vinegar - of various hues, depending on the dressing you want to use it for - and the more pricey names. We usually have balsamic, white and red wine and cider vinegar on the shelf, and also have some ancient sherry vinegar that I haven't had a whiff of for several years :lol: (Plus white malt for cleaning.)

Following a recent discussion about tarragon vinegar I bought some from Amazon (Messino, it's Greek, and cost about £14 for 4 x 250ml bottles).

We have really been enjoying it and there was a massive price difference with some of the other brands.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 pm

They've been selling off pineapple jaffa cakes at half price for some time, and I'd managed to avoid them so far, however I succumbed a couple of days ago,

I'f forgotten how disgusting they are, pineapple or apricot. And the durprise was that McVities ones are even worse than the supermarket imitations I remember! They're off my list of treats now.

VINEGARS
Why don't you start a thread on vinegars KC2? I confess my knowledge isn't up to much although I have a host of them in my cupboard.

EDIT: Looks like there's a Binky thread on balsamic...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3911&p=63329#p63329

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks, Sakk, I will revive Binky's thread.

Postby Renee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:08 am

I bought a beautiful red enameled cast iron casserole from Lidl about a week ago for the wonderful price of £14.99! It only holds 1.3 litres, but ideal for me and I used it in my halogen oven the other day using a couple of chicken thighs on the bone, onions and sprigs of thyme. I did put a splash or two of white wine. I cooked it uncovered, so that the skin was nice and crispy.

Postby scullion » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:36 pm

so did i. it just about fits the stainless steel steamer parts that i wouldn't otherwise be able to use on the new induction hob as although the top tiers react to a magnet the bottom part doesn't.
i was hoping to get one of the larger ones (not the oval one) but they had none when i got there. maybe they didn't get those delivered. i wanted to replace the very similar le creuset one that i managed to damage the enamel on last year.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Advert on the telly just now (in the middle of Masterchef).

Morrisons pork shoulder, £2.10 a kilo.

That is utterly ludicrous. Less than £1 a pound. Not very pampered pigs I would suspect. How on earth can they sell it for that price?

Postby Renee » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:20 pm

Pork shoulder is always the cheapest meat and has plenty of flavour. Maybe it's on offer?

Yes it's on offer and all their pork is British:

https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... 549|179589

People are complaining that there is far too much fat.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

Renee wrote:People are complaining that there is far too much fat.

It's pork, what do you expect?

It's £2.10 a kilo, what do you expect?

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:22 am

I know! I do like some fat on a joint! I was looking at beef roasting joints yesterday in Sainsburys and there was barely any fat on them, so I didn't bother.

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:28 pm

On pork meat cuts, if there's too much fat, I used to cut it off, render it down, then save it as being best for all manner of fried things. I still would if I ate it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm

I have a Morrison’s pork shoulder joint to cook on Saturday

It looks very nice, about the right amount of fat I think, and a good colour. It is Red Tractor certified for what that’s worth

If anyone is in the market for a good torch, Mountain Warehouse have brought many different ones down to half price, no extra charge for delivery, very pleased with mine

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Two high street changes.

Poundland is now Poundland in name only, as every aisle now has items for £1.50, £2 and more.

Tesco special offers are now only for people with clubcards. Maybe that's for a trial period to persuade people to get clubcards, but they are going to lose customers if this customer is anything to go by.

Lidl are pushing their app viciously, I don't want to have faff around with my mobile phone when I'm at the checkout, their 100mph chuck everything at you method is disorientating enough.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Lidlare pushing their app viciously, I don't want to have faff around with my mobile phone when I'm at the checkout, their 100mph chuck everything at you method is disorientating enough.

What are you supposed to do with the app?

With regard to packing, the idea is that you put your goods back in your trolley or basket and pack at your leisure at the shelf beyond. That was quite common at one time but I think reserved for certain European countries now. The way it's ended up here is stupid.

Postby Renee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:34 pm

I tend to use the Click & bag it, whatever it is called, which I did in Asda last week and when I was about to pay the alarm went off. :shock: I guess that some people try to get away with not clicking on items. A woman came over and then Security. My handbag was open and the woman poked around and said "What's this?" I said in a loud voice "It's a specimen container". :lol: I had just bought it at the Pharmacy there. Anyway they let me go without searching everything.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:24 am

I hope they were suitably apologetic, Renee.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox