Register

Is There A Technique You Wish You'd Mastered?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Is There A Technique You Wish You'd Mastered?

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 pm

As I was making my pizza earlier, I got a mental flashbook top an image of the guy making naans in the local tandoori shop, using the pizza technique, and wished that I had mastered the art of pizza-spinning. My pizza-making technique is dreadful, a mixture of stretching, rolling, pulling and pressing the dough until it's the right size, and it invariably shrinks back the moment I let go of it too, so I have to pull it around some more to get it in shape.

Are there any food prep techniques you wish you'd mastered? And I wonder how much you would you be prepared to pay for someone to teach you? I'd throw in £20 for a pizza lesson.

Maybe someone here can offer advice if you have a gap in your expertise.

There's a few that I know that the answer is just practice - piping and "flipping" the contents of a pan are two that spring to mind.

I'd love to be able to sharpen knives properly too.

Re: Is There A Technique You Wish You'd Mastered?

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:09 pm

I gave up trying to sharpen my knives years ago - I always ended up butchering them. I now have a 3-stage sharpener which is excellent.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:55 pm

Pavlova.

Postby Hickybank » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 pm

No I am brilliant at everything :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:11 pm

I can't even seem to make my knife sharpener work :(

I don't chop onions 'properly'.

Poached eggs. (I don't try often enough.)

Kneading. I have been trying on and off for much of my life.

i.e. quite a few fundamental things.
Last edited by herbidacious on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Suelle » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:17 pm

I've given up on the things I never managed to master properly - there are plenty of alternatives, life's too short to worry about what I can't do.

French Macarons was the one thing I would have liked to get right, but trying was getting too expensive and demoralising.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

I can’t make poached eggs either. Have tried multiple times using different techniques and just end up with snotty eggs. I don’t eat eggs very often so would rather just save them for a treat in a cafe!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 pm

I´d love to have learned how to make proper puff pastry so I can prepare millefeuilles as it should be.
There´s a pastry chef at one of Caracas´ best clubs who makes the very best - but it takes him a couple of days. The final result is nothing short of ethereal.
I´m ok with pizzas, because I quite like a thick crust, and a few months ago, I finally made some naan which I was happy with, just by lowering the oven temperature a bit.
Poached eggs? Yep - lousy at making them the traditional way, but I get round that by using plastic wrap and they come out perfect; plus I can make ten at one go if pushed.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 pm

herbidacious wrote:I can't even seem to make my knife sharpener work

I'm with you there, Herbi :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Pampy wrote:I gave up trying to sharpen my knives years ago - I always ended up butchering them. I now have a 3-stage sharpener which is excellent.

KeenCook2 wrote:
herbidacious wrote:I can't even seem to make my knife sharpener work

I'm with you there, Herbi :lol:

So glad it isn't just me ... I bought one of those electric Andrew James branded ones on the recommendation of several Wildies a few years ago .. each time I have used it the knife has finished up blunter than when I started. :roll: :twisted: :cry:

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Yes mine was a rather expensive one recommended by Ian in France. I am sure it's very good, and it's me that's not. I was hoping that it might be the sort of thing that would appeal to husband, but he didn't bite.

Smitch those are my thoughts on poached eggs, too. I really enjoy them when I occasionally have them (usually in cafes) and they are a real treat.

I do 'fry' eggs sometimes by cooking them so gently (just enough oil to make the pan non-stick) that they just cook and don't crisp.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Although I have made both many times, I am never really happy with making bread or roasting joints of beef (other meats are fine).

The thing I would really love to do is a whole course on Patisserie. So expensive that unless you are young and going to make a career of it it can't be justified. To produce things that looked as if they'd just come out of a French patisserie window would give me such pleasure.

DS can pizza spin. He learned at Dominos.

Postby Renee » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:42 pm

This is the knife sharpener that I have and it works well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylors-Eye-Wi ... g=mh0a9-21

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:09 am

That's the same as mine - I'm very impressed with it.

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:20 am

i'm pretty good at sharpening things - i had stropping and honing lessons, at college, for sharpening scalpels and blades.
but as a quick sharpen i use the unglazed part on the bottom of a mug.

what i would like to be able to do is 'coffee art'.
i do have a book but they run courses at one of the coffee roasters near us - i'm thinking of gifting one to my partner for his birthday or christmas - in better times.

Postby Kacey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:23 am

Pastry! Because I'm rubbish at it I don't make it often enough to practice and improve. Though that's probably a good thing as I love eating it and if I could knock up a batch in minutes it would be too tempting.....

The technical department in our house sharpens knives, he uses this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyderco-Sharp ... B000Q9C4AE - a bit pricey but he reckons its the bees knees, especially for serrated knives.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:32 am

My Dad bought me a stone for sharpening knives and showed me how to use it. I cannot abide a blunt knife, life is so much easier with a well honed knife. Thankfully I have Sabatier knives. :thumbsup

Chopping onions annoy me as they slide about and ping all over the place. Having a dodgy wrist does not help.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:44 am

Getting the different parts of a roast dinner to come together at the same time - for example, roast potatoes and meat - specifically chicken - cooked at different oven temperatures.

Postby herbidacious » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:25 am

My knives need sharpening.

There are a number of skills which I really feel I need to be shown - both culinary and otherwise.

I would like someone to stand next to me while I am making jam. YouTube is great but of course it's not interactive. ("no not like that like this..." would be useful.) A lot of this is confidence, or lack of it. (And practice.) My jam-making seems to be really hit and miss. One perfect batch of marmalade last winter. A week later a runny batch. The year before, an inedibly overcooked one. I am just not sure what it's supposed to look like, exactly, re. the wrinkle test.

Threading my sewing machine is one I need to try to master without a teacher this autumn.

re kneading, I just don't have the right technique. Not sure this can really be taught. Generally I have a problem with my brain getting my fingers to do the right thing - I know what to do, but hands just won't do it. This was particularly evident when I tried to learn how to crochet. Bad hand eye coordination? Possibly partly why I am so bad at sport too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:12 am

I wrote a reply yesterday but it doesn’t seem to be here
I have never got the knack of sharpening knives with a steel, I can sharpen small blades like scalpels and penknives on a whetstone but I invested in an electric Knife Wizard sharpener some time ago, and I had 3 good knives professionally reground and they are great now

One thing I wish I’d learned to do properly is to prepare fish, I’m possibly a bit better than the average home cook at cleaning and filleting simple fish like mackerel because I’ve grasped the anatomy but flat fish confuse me, and I know there are lots of techniques I don’t have.

I too wish I had the technique for making pizza base and flatbreads, but I think I could get that by practice, and sort of similar I wish I was better at all the fiddly folded things like samosas, filled pasta, dim sum

I don’t particularly want to get deeply into patisserie but perhaps being able to make viennoiserie such as croissants would be good, I’ve not done much, and had mixed success

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox