Register

Would You Pay This?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Would You Pay This?

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Did either of you really think that I wasn't aware that "Curry 1 5" meant Curry Sauce: £1.50"?

:D :lol: You woz being ironic! Well, kdka says he doesn't know the price of fish and chips. I dunno

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:31 pm

Anyone remember sixpennorth of chips (served in newspaper of course...)?

Friday night, late 1960s, after choir practice. Down to the Yeoman Fish & Chip Shop, " 6 of chips and two pickled onions, please. Oh, and some crackling!"

Happy days.... :gonzo :gonzo

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:53 pm

Our local chip shop is a bit cheaper than some and their fish is traceable to source. A single Norwegian ship.

http://www.godfreyschips.com/takeawaymenu.html

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Suffs wrote:I would pay that and economise elsewhere. The price of fish has gone up locally ... even direct from the boat ... more than half the fishermen’s sales around here at least went to restaurants. The demand dropped off a cliff. If we want our local fishing industry to survive we have to support them. Not many folk risk their lives to make a living nowadays as do the men who go out in small boats.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/tributes-p ... -1-5668282

I agree wholeheartedly Suffs. Like you, I remember the days when Lowestoft was a bustling port and any support is good. It is worrying that the amounts charged are far beyond the budgets of many though. That said, many takeaways of far more inferior quality cost a great deal too and people seem to find then money :?. Give me fish & chips any day!

Oh yes KK - we used to go in and ask for 3d worth of 'scraps' on the way home from evenings out (in the days when pubs shut early and chip shops late and we were skint :lol:).

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:15 am

ZeroCook wrote:Well, kdka says he doesn't know the price of fish and chips. I dunno

Not sure if they have fish and chip shops in Venezuela!

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:08 am

ZeroCook wrote:I get what you're saying about supporting fisherman, Suffs, and about the dangers (which have existed always), and I agree with you. But how much of an overpriced £12.50 (or 12.5 :roll: ) piece of fried fish is what the fisherman actually gets? I'm willing to bet that it's a tiny fraction and akin to the 4 cents a kilo smallholder Spanish orange farmers get for their fruit that end up in our shops.

but you are forgetting the price of oil, batter, energy/fuel, capital cost of equipment for cooking, business rates, property rental - decoration - upkeep, packaging, cleaning materials, wages and anything else needed to run the business.
also the price of the middle men at the fish auction/market, potato merchants etc.

what the fisherman or farmer get can't be compared with the value added end product except as a small percentage.

the small loaf of bread we make costs us 11p - it would cost getting on for a pound in a bakery.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:43 am

Our local chippy is good - as always we reheat both F&C when we get home to crisp up and the oil drains to the bottom of the tray. We pay just under a tenner for both of us and normally there are some chips left for a butty another time......

I still wax lyrical about the chippy in Bradford on Avon which has to be the best ever, eaten straight away, nice brown, crisp chips and a light crunchy batter on the haddock.

Can't seem to get 'scraps' anymore?????? Also missing the black newspaper ink on my hands after eating!

Postby Renee » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Black newspaper ink? :shock: Yes, but stop and think where some people read newspapers!

Many years ago, friends had a lovely old world chippy in Hayfield and they were so glad when they eventually sold the place. If they put prices up by a small amount there were many complaints and they dreaded buying anything for the house in case any of the villagers saw it arriving. There would be more nasty comments. They worked so hard and were up at the crack of dawn. A thankless job,

Postby miss mouse » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:10 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:It’s not a million miles miles from prices at our well-known local upmarket fish and chip shop

https://www.suttonandsons.co.uk/food-menu/

And here’s the Seashell, arguably the most famous chippy in London, haven’t been in years, and when I went the chips were poor, though black cab drivers always tell you they are wonderful, even when they are off duty

https://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/me ... away-menu/

Arrggghh. Seashell poisoned me, or tried to, the fish smelled so bad I didn't eat it circa 1975.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Not sure if they have fish and chip shops in Venezuela!

dead right there, Pampy! :gonzo :gonzo
Mind you, if you are at the beach, deep-fried fish is always an option. Usually served with rice and plantains!

Postby Grasshopper » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Sharkey's in Huddersfield, which is Asian-run, do lovely F & C. Their prices are very reasonable too.
A small F & C, with gravy, is plenty for me, and I can eat! I defy anyone to eat a large one.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Fish and chips with gravy?!?!

How can you have fish with gravy?!?!

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:39 pm

My thoughts too! :lol: :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Gravy and curry sauce have been sold in chip shops to go with chips in some parts of the country for many, many years.

Postby Pampy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:09 pm

Yes, I know that (I'm from Lancashire, a veritable stronghold for chip shops) - but gravy with battered fish?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:50 pm

I'm a southerner and although I first saw curry sauce in chip shops circa 1973 I didn't see gravy until DD went to uni in the Manchester area twenty years later. Whilst I don't care for either anywhere near fish or chips, I believe it is customary to pour the sauce/gravy onto the chips rather than right over the fish or to keep it in a separate pot to dunk the chips in.

One man's meat ... :)

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 am

Earthmaiden wrote: I believe it is customary to pour the sauce/gravy onto the chips rather than right over the fish

that sounds ⅔ way to being that canadian food crime - poutine!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 am

I´d have thought it was an odd choice, but if you like gravy with your F & C, then have gravy.
Each to his/her own!

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:41 am

There is indeed no accounting for tastes ... as long as it doesn’t become compulsory :lol: ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am

My BIL loves fish chips, mushy peas, gravy ... plus brown sauce.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox