Register

Would You Pay This?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Would You Pay This?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:26 pm

https://www.cobbsfarmshops.co.uk/friday-takeaways

This nice little farm shop has a cafe which has obviously suffered during these difficult times. It also has a fish shop attached which sells very good quality fish. In happier times, they have special nights in the cafe with good food and ambience to go with it.

They have started doing these special take away fish and chip nights which seem to be popular. I know it's nice to support local concerns and I know that the fish is good quality and staff have had to be brought in to cook it - but would you pay £12.50 per portion for take away fish & chips? (No 1 at Cromer appears to be charging this to eat upstairs in its nice restaurant - I assume it costs less to take away).

Re: Would You Pay This?

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:42 pm

this is the menu/price list for the takeaway at the beach - we don't get the fish but the chips are lovely and the tartare sauce is homemade. i think the price of small portion of mushy peas (not home made) is a bit steep.
menu-orig.jpg
menu-orig.jpg (62.18 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:13 pm

I´ve got no idea whether that´s expensive or not, but my criteria wouldn´t be price: they´d be (1) do I want something different and (2) it´s time to spoil myself!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:40 pm

A few days back I noticed that a local place with sky high prices did that odd "leave the last zero off" thing*. I wonder if it's to disguise the exorbitant prices, or just because they think they're cool enough to charge them?

£2.75 for chips?!? Anyone remember sixpennorth of chips (sevred in newspaper of course...)?

*i.e if it's £8.50, just put "8.5"

Postby scullion » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:52 pm

maybe they didn't buy the zeros!
i can remember when a good portion of chips was three old pence in the chip shop in holt, norfolk, which then went up to five new pence due to a potato shortage and decimalisation.
i went to a restaurant, a while back, that just had the number of whole pounds on the menu - no pennies at all.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pm

A lot of menus in twee places seem to do that now. It seems a bit of a 'we don't discuss money' thing but I believe the law states the prices must be displayed somewhere outside nowadays.

I know that fish & chips have got more expensive in places where top produce is used and overheads are high. I'm just behind the times. The Chinese chippy over the road is so much cheaper :lol:.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm

It’s not a million miles miles from prices at our well-known local upmarket fish and chip shop

https://www.suttonandsons.co.uk/food-menu/

And here’s the Seashell, arguably the most famous chippy in London, haven’t been in years, and when I went the chips were poor, though black cab drivers always tell you they are wonderful, even when they are off duty

https://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/me ... away-menu/

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:37 pm

It's eleven quid at our local.

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:38 pm

I remember "a six of chips"! There's a chippy near me (think I've written about it before) which has the very best fish that I've ever had from a chip shop (and I've had a few over the years!). It's always a huge, thick portion of cod in a light crispy batter, which somehow doesn't go soggy after being wrapped up. The fish is £4.50. Their regular chips are £2.00 but the portion is also humongous! One portion of fish and chips will easily feed 2 very hungry people.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:49 pm

That menu of yours Scully made me laugh - at the bottom there 'ask for allergens' :o - how much do they cost....?!?! :lol:

I rarely eat chippy F&C's these days ( can't remember the last time) - just don't enjoy them anymore - hate battered fish, plus any chance of soggy/cremated chips - but the prices at the more prominent places around here are roughly the same as yours EM - I used to find the smaller back-street chippies did better with quality & price.

Postby Busybee » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:05 pm

I’m having a northern induced panic attack.............

cries of the Yorkshire motto ‘ ‘ow much?’

Blimey, fish and chips here is circa £6. £7.50 at the seaside. Again huge portions, we usually get two fish and one chips between us.

I’ve just checked our village gastro pub £12.50 ncluding home made tartare sauce and mushy peas, that’s the eating in price. It’s recently changed hands and the new owners have come from a pub near Chequers, much comment locally about how expensive it is!

BB

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 pm

Although at £1.50, their curry is an absolute bargain. Do you think that includes rice?

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:54 pm

I would pay that and economise elsewhere. The price of fish has gone up locally ... even direct from the boat ... more than half the fishermen’s sales around here at least went to restaurants. The demand dropped off a cliff. If we want our local fishing industry to survive we have to support them. Not many folk risk their lives to make a living nowadays as do the men who go out in small boats.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/tributes-p ... -1-5668282

Postby oat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:22 pm

We paid £18.80 for haddock and chips x2 in Swaffam. if I had known it was going to be that much I would'nt have ordered it. Yes I'm from Yorkshire!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Although at £1.50, their curry is an absolute bargain. Do you think that includes rice?

Presumably it’s just that curry sauce that comes in styrofoam tubs?

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Presumably it’s just that curry sauce that comes in styrofoam tubs?

That's what I presumed. water, flour, curry powder, salt. Bleugh. :lol:

I get what you're saying about supporting fisherman, Suffs, and about the dangers (which have existed always), and I agree with you. But how much of an overpriced £12.50 (or 12.5 :roll: ) piece of fried fish is what the fisherman actually gets? I'm willing to bet that it's a tiny fraction and akin to the 4 cents a kilo smallholder Spanish orange farmers get for their fruit that end up in our shops.

If retail shoppers (i.e. most of us) pay a couple of quid tops for a piece of best raw fish, how does the fisherman's take and the rest our pockets justify a 625% markup (much more on wholesale costs) or is it just part of 'what the market will bear' klepto-economics that justifies all manner of price gouging, exploitation (including fishermen), and hype?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:42 pm

Did either of you really think that I wasn't aware that "Curry 1 5" meant Curry Sauce: £1.50"?

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:49 pm

:oops: :oops: Just realised I posted this on the wrong thread :oops: :oops: so have copied and pasted it here :oops: :oops:

Our local chippy charges about £12 ish for two fish and one normal portion of chips, which is more than enough for both of us. You can also order via deliveroo or uber or just-eat, but they charge quite a premium.

The local gastro-pub charges "£15" - yes, no pence! - for their fish and chips. https://www.thecrabtreew6.co.uk/food-an ... /main-menu

(Nevertheless somewhat cheaper than The River Cafe just down the road https://rivercafe.co.uk/ :lol:
Also no pence on any of their prices.)

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Some of you know that until quite recently my OH worked at a farmshop. The fish sold there came direct from a local fishman in a van who bought it direct from the harbour and delivered to restaurants, chippies, fishmongers and farm shops etc. In Covid times both the fishermen and the fish delivery man will have taken a huge cut in income.

Who gets the markup depends on whether you’re buying your fish and chips from a small local business who buy their fish from the small guys, or the places that buy their fish (probably frozen) from wholesalers.

We go for quality and we buy local.

Postby liketocook » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:10 pm

Our local "upmarket" chippy which is on the quayside and uses fish from the next door fish market charges around £9 for fish and chips. Prices do vary by 50p or so either way depending on market prices/what is landed. It's around £7 for haddock and chips in other chippies in town which are mainly very good but not quite in the same league.
Fish prices here for retail purchases have actually dropped a bit due to COVID as there is less of a market from the hospitality trade so less bidding for what is left after the export purchases are hived off. The majority of the fish & seafood landed here goes to Spain.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox