Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:46 pm

Renee wrote:I really love the French goat cheese that I found in Asda. It was just a small pack, but I'll definitely buy it again.

Renee, was it any of these? If so, I'll definitely add it to next week's online order!

https://groceries.asda.com/search/goat% ... oat-cheese

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:37 pm

I did something last night I seldom do for myself - a Sunday roast

I had one of the Morrison’s half price pork shoulder joints so I scored the skin quite finely, rubbed it with a little fine salt and set it on a bed of sliced onions with a few fresh sage leaves. I put it in an oven heated to about 210°C fan, turned it down to about 140° and left well alone for about 2 hours, just stirring the onions occasionally, until the crackling was done - I checked the internal temperature, 72°C spot on. Served with roast potato, roast parsnip, cabbage and apple sauce (really unnecessary because of the lovely jammy onions)

Rather a lot of leftover meat to do things with :)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:58 pm

We used lamb neck, Renee! It’s my preferred cut for slow cooked lamb dishes.

Youngest daughter had leftovers for lunch. We had egg fried rice with all the leftover bits and bobs from the fridge...carrots, broccoli, spring onions, chilli, mushrooms, red onion, soy, sesame oil.

Dinner was very autumnal...a one pot of sausages braised in cider, stock and mustard, with apples, leeks and butternut squash. Mixed greens on the side dressed with oak smoked oil. Fruit plate and a little chocolate for dessert.

Your pork sounds great, Sue.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Rather a lot of leftover meat to do things with

Roast pork sandwich, Venezuelan style, with avocado , tomato and lettuce
Pork Tacos (just add a bit of Mexican-style chile powder, a bit of orange juice, pinch of cumin - serve with guacamole and pico de gallo)
Fry up with some onion and garlic, Add coriander powder, couple of tomatoes, and a bit of coconut milk.Vaguely Indonesian!
Sweet & Sour Pork.
Or just repeat what you made yesterday - sounds fine to me!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:26 pm

I had some pork cold tonight with pickles, coleslaw and a jacket spud

I have frozen 2 portions

Tomorrow will probably be a version of Sichuan twice cooked pork - the first cooking is supposed to be simmering with some spice, but I find that leftover roast is fine as long as I use the soft inside rather than the crusty bits. The second cooking is stir-frying with chilli-bean sauce and other flavours

Next problem - a coleslaw mountain, it kind of ran away with me

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:16 am

Is it heavily dressed or could you turn it into soup?

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:00 am

Last of the frozen lasagna. A zero cooking night.

Tomorrow, hamburgers with home ground beef. So much nicer than the bought stuff. Mr Zero is a big fan.

Would go well with coleslaw on the side :D

Postby Busybee » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 am

Every Sunday I get the food processor out and make a big batch of coleslaw, I leave it undressed in a Tupperware box in the fridge. It then gets used up throughout the week either in its nude state or with various dressings, what doesn’t get eaten is put in the soup usually made on a Saturday morning. It keeps very well.

I find that it’s an easy way to get vegetables into most meals as it’s already to use with sandwiches etc at lunchtime. It also gets around the how much to make conundrum when wanting coleslaw as an accompaniment.

BB

Postby WolfGirl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 am

That’s a good idea Busybee.
I’ve never made a batch of coleslaw and thought ‘there’s not enough there’ !

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:41 am

Last night I made M&S Plant Kitchen Kievs with a jacket spud, which I haven't had for ages. I also cooked a range of greens from my veg box with some preserved lemon, Aleppo pepper and a pinch of salt.

No idea about tonight, the weather is awful so whatever we have will be warm and comforting. Perhaps a curry of some kind.

Postby Kacey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am

Tried a new recipe last night to use up a cauliflower - though I did my usual and adapted it somewhat. It was called Cauliflower Ragu but that was a bit misleading. In a nutshell, cauliflower broken up into bite sized pieces and fried in oil till golden - I baked it instead and added lots of crushed garlic and ground black pepper. You added the cauliflower to cooked pasta along with toasted crushed almonds and 1/2 cup of the pasta water, I didn't want to use nuts so used Nutritional Yeast and the pasta water. You served it with finely sliced spring onions and a squeeze of lemon juice. I have no idea what the original version would have been like (except much more calorific) but the Kacey version was lovely and I'll definitely make it again.

Have my eye on a cauliflower paella from the same book at some point. Tonight's tea was started at 6am this morning - Aubergine curry, cabbage fry and there's some chana dal soaking to be cooked during my lunch hour later. (Love this working from home!)

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Home grown aubergine (Prosperosa) and quite concentrated roasted passata (last of the toms) pasta bake with mozzarella and other cheese, some Isigny creme fraiche and pine nuts. Not very imaginative but I am very tired and wanted to do something easy and brainpower free. Hopefully the good ingredients will carry it.

I roasted the aubergine first in smoked oil. They taste good. I shall definitely grow this variety again as they were very pretty too, but only just fruited towards the end of September, so I guess I need to start them earlier. They came up quickly enough but then took forever to get to flowering stage. I wonder if any of my neighbours to whom I gave seedlings managed to get any fruit. Aubergines seem to be a favourite with snails :? Need to find a way to stop that next year too. I grew them in a location that made it hard to check for hiding gastropods.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:56 pm

I had planned to make fish fragrant aubergines but had a last minute change of plan when I realised they’d gone mouldy. We had fish fragrant courgettes instead, worked well and we both enjoyed it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm

FF courgette? Have to give that a try some time!

I made a freezer-emptying fish pie with the last couple of "white fish fillets" (can't remember if coley or pollock) and half a bag of cooked prawns, and heavily covered with the 99p grated mozarella I got from Lidl last week. Absolutely gorgeous.

Very loosely based on the "Prawn Cocktail Years" version. Very, very loosely.

EDIT: I will be eating more fish from now on since I discovered how cheap Lidl's frozen fish section is a couple of days ago. I have made a conscious decision to cut back on "processed meat" since seeing a Michael Mosley programme a couple of weeks back in which his blood pressure pretty much doubled after three(?) weeks on a diet heavy with processed meats. I have been aware that too much of my food is augmented with bacon/salami/sausage/whatever. Not entirely sure the "science" is pukka on the programme, there are other reasons blood pressure can spike, and there was a count of just one sample, but the first measurement I've taken since, the lower figure had dropped to 78 where it usually nudges 90.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 pm

I was gutted when I realised the aubergines were beyond saving. Since I really fancied the dish and had loads of courgettes in the fridge I thought I might as well give it a try. I cooked them to slightly mushy so the texture was more like aubergine but I think they’d work in their own right.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:38 pm

What does it involve, Smitch?

I do hate it when I have to throw away things that have gone of. Big tub of a third eaten green marscapone went in the bin today.

Postby smitch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 pm

This is the recipe I used https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/28/fuchsia-dunlops-fish-fragrant-aubergines

I’ve ordered more aubergines from the veg box to try it properly

Postby herbidacious » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:26 pm

It looks good. I have just bought a load of fancy ingredients of the middle eastern kind, but will have a Chinese/Asian shop next time I can allow myself one.
Why fish fragrant, I wonder? I was expecting seaweed, at least :) I suppose in the same joke bag as Peking duck... Or indeed, crispy seaweed.
Last edited by herbidacious on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:45 pm

I made my twice cooked pork with green peppers and onions from Fuchsia’s Every Grain of Rice, which I ate with jasmine rice and some steamed tenderstem broccoli

Her recipe for fish fragrant aubergines, which smitch linked to, is the one I used. Lovely. I might try courgettes.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:27 am

I am really hoping by b/p will stabilise, now that I've isolated one culprit for palpitations = yeast. Which I've given up now for 2 months and haven't had an incident.

Spiced chicken last evening. And I made aloo stuffed parathas which were a hit. (The naan I also did remained untouched).
Vegetable side dish, but I don't have a picture.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox