Register

Cheese subscription

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Cheese subscription

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Evening,

Has anyone got past experience of a cheese subscription please?

Sorry I know it’s a little early to mention the C word but I’m starting to think of ideas and my OH is really hard to buy for, so I’m desperate for ideas!

I’ve ordered cheese boxes from Pong Cheese before but otherwise I just buy cheese from Abel and Cole or a local deli. Any suggestions of brands or companies who offer subscriptions would be gratefully received...thanks! Especially if you have experience of buying from them.

Re: Cheese subscription

Postby aero280 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:32 pm

I looked into one or two, but in general, they seem to decide what cheese to send you, and it can be quite a lot.

I did order one as a trial. The cheese was nice, but I suspect it was stuff they were keen to get rid of as it all had a fairly short best before/use by date. If it was monthly, we would have had to gorge ourselves with cheese for 2 weeks and then wait for the next box.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:43 am

Well I wish I had the option for a Cheese Subscription, OMCO!!!

I looked up "cheese subscription" and the first option that came up was a company called "Paxton & Whitfield"https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/shop/cheese-board-collections/paxtons-cheese-collection?c=112
These are serious Cheesemongers, by the look of it. Not cheap, perhaps, but if they supply the Royal Family, I doubt they´ll send you cheese with a sell-by-date. I looked at some of the options - OMG, why do I live on the other side of the Atlantic??? :lol: :lol:

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:01 am

I often get a box of Paxton and Whitfield cheese for Christmas. Neal’s Yard Dairy do the same. The one with the short date on it came from the Northumberland Cheese Company, but there are others such as Teddington Cheese, Hamish Johnson, etc. I had a mixed box once from a place in Bath.

P&W have a few shops around the country.

[just checked and they only have 4 shops. Two in .London, Bath & Stratford on Avon.]

Postby smitch » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:24 am

I’d avoid the Northumberland Cheese Company. They advertise a lot on FB and show loads of amazing cheeses in their mystery box. The actual contents are pretty disappointing, loads of cheap stuff that I’d never normally buy.

I got my wedding cheese from The Cheese Shed in Devon and we often order from them for a treat. They might do subscriptions.

Postby Suffs » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:43 am

Ooh I’m getting some ideas!

Anyone tried these? There look to be some gorgeous selections

https://www.finecheese.co.uk/cheese-gif ... ion-boxes/

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:12 am

Not tried mail order but know the Fine Cheese shop in Bath which has always been excellent. Interested to see they now have a warehouse shop (currently closed) which would be very convenient for me to visit - will keep my eyes open for the reopening!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am

I’m glad you recommended that EM. Coincidentally I ordered a birthday package from them for my sister this week.

https://www.finecheese.co.uk/

Postby aero280 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am

That’s jogged my memory. It was the Fine Cheese Co that supplied my present last year. The “Local Heroes” selection.

Postby scullion » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 am

we've not done cheese subscriptions but do 'cheese' our family every christmas rather than send stuff that they may not need/want.
last year it was a large section of 'kern' from lhyner dairies. in previous years it has been a whole yarg from the same dairy alternated with a cornish blue from the cornish cheese company.
we haven't done selection boxes (they seem to be much more expensive for what you get) and i don't think they do subscriptions.
the yarg and cornish blue are pretty widely available in shops if you haven't already tried them, the kern is possibly less well known as its a relatively new cheese. it's really good, quite like a gouda.
talking of gouda, there is also a farm producing gouda here in cornwall that has an online store, too. i've had both the 'ordinaire' and the mature - both really good. i haven't tried any of the flavoured ones.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:33 pm

karadekoolaid Paxton & Whitfield are probably the oldest cheese mongers in London, the original shop is on Jermyn Street behind Fortnum & Mason
They do have lovely cheeses

I don’t go to P&W very often, apart from anything else I can walk to the original branch of La Fromagerie in Highbury, I looked they seem to do gift boxes but not subscriptions

https://www.lafromagerie.co.uk/online-shop

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you! I’ll have a look at all of these.

Someone at the gym mentioned the Cheese Geek and I’d thought about P&W and Neals Yard. I’ll check out the others too. The best subscriptions appear to be around the £400 mark for a year. I might look at a quarterly subscription which some offer, and then he can have other presents too. I can’t quite bring myself to spend £400 on cheese, even if it is good stuff :lol:

Postby Suffs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:24 am

Thought this thread might be a good place to draw attention to ...

https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-chee ... ntent=Hero

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Pong just sent me an offer code: 50% off your first box with club CLUB50, making it only £11 (or £14.50 for the Premium Box)

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:57 pm

I think I’ve mentioned this here before...but we once had a cheese box from pong which included an Epoisses. It was wrapped in paper, encased in a box, placed in a wine fridge in the cellar with the cellar door closed. We could still smell it two floors up :shock: It tasted spectacular :lol:

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 pm

The first time I bought some epoisse (in my early 30s) was just before my parents came to visit our farily new to us and first own house. I'd cleaned the fridge before they came, as you do, when you have a mother that makes comments on your bad housekeeping skills, so was dismayed and couldn't understand why it postively stank afterwards. Once the penny dropped, it went in the cellar too. Yep. Wafted upwards.

Wish we still had a cellar...

Postby herbidacious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I think I’ve mentioned this here before...but we once had a cheese box from pong which included an Epoisses. It was wrapped in paper, encased in a box, placed in a wine fridge in the cellar with the cellar door closed. We could still smell it two floors up :shock: It tasted spectacular :lol:

I guess you'd expect that of any cheese from a company called Pong :)

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Although too much of a treat, it's almost worth ordering some as a gift for someone you don't like much :lol:.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 am

An erstwhile friend and next door neighbour liked garlic the smell of which often hit me even before she opened the front door - I had to stand back until I acclimatised.

I imagine that baked-to-sweet garlic and stinky cheese might be a match made in heaven and, if made there, thankfully is not in my abode.

Although I like the idea of a cheese subscription, as there are zillions of types to try now, how big a cheese eater has one to be before sobbing "Please, no more cheese"? Just a thought.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 am

To misquote Samuel Johnson. "When a man is tired of cheese .. .."

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox