Register

bread

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: bread

Postby Hope » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm

thanks all. I will try all the machine methods you've said. I can't do it by hand, though, it's too painful and tiring for me.

I wish I could make more at once, but the freezer is stuffed with homegrown veg at the mo (very pleased about that!) I keep having to rearrange things to squeeze more in!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:43 am

Hope wrote:
Has anyone tried doing Dan Lepard's kneading method in a mixer? I've just had it running for 25 mins to get the dough to a good texture (this is 3/4wholemeal, 1/4 white).

It's a manual folding method which barely uses any kneading at all- quite different from what a mixer does. In the no knead folding method, as the name suggests, the dough is periidically folded over itself - stretched without taking the air out of it. Autolyse does the job of developing the gluten - making it elastic - instead of long kneading times. It's a gentle method.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:26 am

Ottolenghi focusses on bread in today's Weekend column.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... bread-figs

Postby Hope » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 pm

well the rolls are looking good so far and i've not cooked them yet. I mixed with the k-beater for 2 mins on half speed. then left for 15 mins, dough hook mix for 15 secs, rest for 15 mins, dough hook again for 15 secs. then prove, shape, prove. They are so far bigger than the last batch of rolls I made.

btw - how can you tell when they've proved enough on the second prove? I used to know all this, but I've forgotten!

Postby dennispc » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Little prod with finger, I was told. If the indentation fills up slowly then it’s probably proved. To be honest, I’ve never truly understood, I just guess!

Are you able to do what Zerocook suggests?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Not proper bread but chickpea flatbread. Probably one everyone knows about it except me but just in case ..

I saw a flatbread in the new JO book (The Harissa Chicken recipe) made by mixing a 400g can of chickpeas (including juice), 250g SR flour, half a bunch of chopped mint and seasoning together thenformed into flatbreads.

I thought it looked interesting and made my own version at lunchtime (a can of mixed pulses as I didn't have chickpeas, no mint but lots of garlic powder, some dried onions and a little cinnamon and chilli flakes. You could add anything you like.). I blitzed the pulses slightly but not to a pulp. JO doesn't blitz the chickpeas at all. It made a lovely dough to roll out and I made 6 generous flatbreads. I fried two in very small amount of oil and cooked the rest in the oven drizzled with a little oil (they are supposed to be dry fried but I was hungry and the house was full of smoke so the ones I wasn't going to eat then were shoved in the oven). The fried ones were best by far but the others will be nice to heat up.

They are delicious! A new thing to have for lunch. Would be nice with anything to dip them in, soups, salad and I think cottage cheese. I just tried with butter on one and yogurt on the other which worked too.

I expect GF flour would work for those who don't eat gluten. They might be slightly more crumbly.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:08 pm

Wow EM! Fantastic.

Postby Pampy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 pm

JO made the chickpea flatbreads on one of his tv programmes a few years ago. I've made them a few times and really like them.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Goodness, I'm beginning to think that I need to abandon my promise not to buy any more [i]new[i] cookbooks! (Secondhand ones are ok :lol: )

Postby Hope » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:51 pm

EM - apparently you're not the only one who's not heard of that. I thought you meant Socca then. But not chickpea flour, actual chickpeas. I'll have to see if this works with GF flour.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:34 pm

I hope it does. They're quite filling. The ones made in the oven have crisped up a bit now they're cold and aren't bad (not hungry but tasted a bit of one).

Postby Hope » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:49 pm

and do we think it's best for the first prove to do a long slow cold prove or a faster prove with heat (40c in the oven)

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 pm

Longer is always preferable for texture/flavour etc but needs must if time is short. You'll get bread either way :)

Postby Hickybank » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 pm

I use the long slow first proving , knock back put in tins for second rise

Out of interest I have just taken delivery of a 16 kilo bag of strong white & 0ne of Wholemeal I use a 50/50 mix.
Also a 500g bag of dried yeast.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:36 am

Well done Hicky. You're sorted for the winter and beyond!

Postby dennispc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:41 am

Can't help feeling envious of those of you have fridges larger enough to include a bowl of dough proving. For ordinary bread, the overnight mix stays on the worktop. Rest of flour add in the morning. I remember someone posting after kneading they let it prove again, knocked back and a final rise in the tin.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:02 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Not proper bread but chickpea flatbread. Probably one everyone knows about it except me but just in case ..

I saw a flatbread in the new JO book (The Harissa Chicken recipe) made by mixing a 400g can of chickpeas (including juice), 250g SR flour, half a bunch of chopped mint and seasoning together thenformed into flatbreads.

Is this book called 7 Ways ..... ? I keep reading that so many of you are enjoying making stuff from it, I think I need to join in ;)

Postby aero280 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:31 am

My final rise is done in the tin. When it gets to half an inch from the top, I turn the oven on. When the oven gets to temperature, in it goes.

I do the two proves when I make bread with yeast. But the sourdough is mixed and goes straight into the tin, overnight in the fridge, then allowed to rise in the morning and into the oven when it’s risen. I have done a double rise with sourdough, but I have found that it makes no difference to the bread.

I’ve also left the bread to prove in the fridge for two days. The loaf was exactly the same size as usual, but had bigger holes in it.

Sourdough, well mine at least, takes so long to rise that don’t see any benefit in two proves. It certainly makes no difference to my bread.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:08 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Is this book called 7 Ways ..... ? I keep reading that so many of you are enjoying making stuff from it, I think I need to join in ;)

Yes Pat. It complements his current TV series.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

Yes Pat. It complements his current TV series.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox