Register

Masterchef is upon us

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Masterchef is upon us

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Dear me, today's programme is two and a half hours long :-(

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:17 am

I don't bother with the cookery lessons, although I do still use Matt Preston's bread recipe from several years ago.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:47 am

They were the best bit! I really fancy Jock Zonfrillo's Tarte Tatin with Brown Bread Ice Cream.

Although there's not much they could teach 15 Masterchef professionals; there were some embarrassed grunts from the contestants at being expected to react with surprise and astonishment to novice-level instructions.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/PPPJNIG/ap ... ead-ice-c/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:04 pm

The standard on Australian Masterchef is relentlessly jaw dropping.

In one of the challenges today, three contestants had to make a favourite "dinner".

One made perfecte Bahn Xeo (Vietnamese pancakes), on my favourite dishes list, but I'd want an hour.

One made perfect Chinese Potsticker Dumplings from scratch including the dough, again on my favourites list, but I'd want an hour.

One made crab and tomato tagliatelle, making the pasta from scratch, it looked incredibly luxurious. Hour again at least?...

IN TWENTY MINUTES.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:53 pm

I'm just watching tonight's episode.
I agree, the standard is astonishing. I guess because they are all previous high- scorers the standard will not be the same in the next series.

However, I am really enjoying it.
Especially as J is working away this week so I don't have to listen to the huffing.

The only downside for me in this series is the female judge.
V annoying.

Postby mistakened » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:17 pm

WWordsworth wrote:The only downside for me in this series is the female judge.
V annoying.
I get distracted by her clothes and ear rings

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:32 pm

I agree they're all excessively effusive, but I find them much more edifying than most UK foodie presenters :-(

Postby miss mouse » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Is this Masterchef Oz? I can't get it apart from on YouTube. Everyones' comments are fun to read though.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes. It is incredibly long drawn out affair, I think it's 67 episodes, and most are an hour and a half. Just one out of 24 contestants chucked out each week after 5 sub-rounds.

But they are all ex contestants who have had success since their Masterchef beginnings, the standard is sky high, very few dodgy dishes, constant high pressure tasks. I'd have burnt out by about day 3.

Postby miss mouse » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Yes. It is incredibly long drawn out affair, I think it's 67 episodes, and most are an hour and a half. Just one out of 24 contestants chucked out each week after 5 sub-rounds.

But they are all ex contestants who have had success since their Masterchef beginnings, the standard is sky high, very few dodgy dishes, constant high pressure tasks. I'd have burnt out by about day 3.

Thanks Sakkarin, I am not sure that I have that many decades left but love the pithy reviews.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 pm

I'm really enjoying it, despite the female judge who seems to be there for decoration.
The standard is really high and the contestants seem to be very supportive of each other

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Just watched Friday's episode.
Much as I like Simon, he was outclassed.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Today's programme's only an hour long!

I suppose it's getting easier now the numbers are dwindling, but what I don't understand is how they did the judging when they had 24 contestants. What if you had a piece of fish that needed serving immediately? What if you had an iced dessert and had to wait until it was time for your dish to be judged, even if the judging of each contestant took only 5 minutes, that's still a 2 hour wait? Each dish had to be photographed too, and presumably there were several takes on some of the judging moments, maybe 5 minutes is a huge underestimate.

I wonder how much weight the judges put on over the course of the series. Lots and lots of eating.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Sakkarin wrote:What if you had a piece of fish that needed serving immediately? What if you had an iced dessert and had to wait until it was time for your dish to be judged

Sakkarin, I've always wondered about that even in the UK Masterchef, where there are obviously far fewer contestants - I've not seen the Australian one.
I've always thought there must be some sort of weird time lapse, where they actually start at different times but then there's a staged photograph of them together "before" the judging.

I've also wondered if they get time "credits" for all the time-wasting chats with Torode and Wallace.

Of course I realise that what we see is obviously heavily edited - goodness knows, it must be a long editing job with whole days of filming! But I have still wondered about the actual timing!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:17 pm

I'm surprised someone hasn't yet done a "behind the scenes" story of their Masterchef journey. Or maybe they have...

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE

Jeez it's getting brutal! I thought Laura would have her marching orders there...

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:26 pm

I have never seen any behind the scenes stuff on MasterChef.
Maybe their contracts forbid it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I accidentally saw the Auatralian Masterchef final results page on Wiki a few weeks back (it takes place a while before we see it here), but fortunately managed to look away without much registering, the only thing I saw was the third place contestant. So I've gone the whole series knowing this person made it to the final three. Except that person has just been eliminated and was actually sixth! Doh!

I think people may be starting to burn out, after all they've done the equivalent of a cooking marathon every day for months.

The best thing about it is that it's all about the individual cooking, very few team events where everyone is dragged down to the level of the worst contestant, no trips to restaurants doing pretend services cooking dishes you've "learnt" that very day.

For today's main event they had to reproduce a potato dish in which the potato underwent eight different processes. They were working to a recipe they were given, which the camera kept panning in on - I'd love to have had a copy of their recipe to give it a try myself, to see what all the fuss was about! It was a take on Duchesse potatoes, looked an almighty faff.

Postby mistakened » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Except that person has just been eliminated and was actually sixth! Doh!
Some of us cheered :o I class that person as having been a professional when they entered the contest X years ago.
I like potatoes but that was unnecessarily complex.
Hurray for Reynolds

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 pm

As previous contestants, I thought they were all professionals, with a couple of exceptions!

Oh well, only 30 hours of programmes left to go (don't quote me on that figure...).

Postby Hickybank » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 am

I no longer watch any of these, all been done to death along with houses under the hammer, escape to the country
(ooh, look how much money I have) but don't have the brains to find a house.
And don't even get me started on Strictly :evil: :evil: :evil:

Perhaps I am just a grumpy old man :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox