Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:43 am

Amyw wrote: Also teaches other skills I think too

good for teaching some maths skills - especially if you make them half/¾/double etc the recipe. (i was that cruel mother!)

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:58 am

I agree. Well done Hope (and well done to your son of course)!

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Hope, that's serious talent at a mere 8 yrs old :clap Anything I make with jam, the jam bubbles over or leaks out and burns so I doff my cap to his jammie dodgers.

I'm suffering custard withdrawal symptoms, so a deep apple pie later with cooking and eating apples looking at me temptingly.

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:37 am

After being reminded of Jamie’s carrot cake with lime mascarpone icing in the buttercream thread , I made it yesterday . Still as beautifully light as I remembered , the whisked egg whites really make all the difference

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:55 pm

Wow, Amyw! Fantastic :yum :yum :clap :clap

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Oh yes. I've made that Amy. It's very good isn't it?

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Ah yes so light , as I find carrot cakes especially ones with nuts in can be a little dense normally

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I made a sticky ginger cake, hubbys choice (I thought he didn't like ginger cake, just shows he can still surprise me after all these years).

'Tis quite nice and a welcome change from the same old same old.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Not exactly baking, as it doesn't involve the oven! But I have a question.

I make a no cook white chocolate cheese cake and usually use one of my saved up 6 inch Waitrose quiche dishes. (I can't believe how many I have and I don't even keep them any more!)
As it's usually just for us, we simply cut slices out of the dish - the first one is always a bit of a mess but then the others come out quite cleanly.

I'm thinking of making it for some friends and if I were to use a non-stick cake tin with a removable base, or a springform tin, what would I do to make sure the cake comes out cleanly, without the cream cheese sticking to the side?

Basically it's a crushed ginger nut and melted butter base, and the topping is a melted bar of white chocolate stirred into a packet of cream cheese with a drop of icing sugar and some extra vanilla essence. It just has to sit in the fridge for a few hours. It's lovely with fresh berries, and if you're feeling like it, fresh cream!

Thanks!

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm

You could line the tin with cling film.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:49 pm

I wondered about that, Pampy, but wouldn't the cream cheese mix stick to that?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Most recipes suggest the cheesecake will have set enough to remove the springform side carefully.

I have been known to use a warmed palette knife round the edge before releasing the spring but you probably don't need to.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/cherry-cheesecake

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm

My inclination would be cling film too . Sometimes I use those oil sprays round the sides of Tins which seem to grease it enough without being too rich . I’d just maybe chill it for a little bit longer to make sure it’s super set

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Yes, maybe I'll try the clingfilm - I suppose I could oil it lightly. And a good idea to let it chill really firm.

The Nigella recipe looks yummy, EM!

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 am

Call me old fashioned but I think that greaseproof/baking paper can't be bettered for lining pretty much any sort of container, tin or dish and can be cut and/or folded  for a really neat fit, peels away easily and neatly too.

Postby Suelle » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Most recipes suggest the cheesecake will have set enough to remove the springform side carefully.

I have been known to use a warmed palette knife round the edge before releasing the spring but you probably don't need to.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/cherry-cheesecake

That would be what I would do too, rather than lining the sides.

If you want to remove it from the base before serving, it's sometimes better to reverse the base of the springform tin so that the cheese cake is made on the flattest side, and not the side with the lip. I wouldn't bother with trying to take it off the base though.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Arghh, In the end I realised I don't have a tin small enough for the ingredients I have in stock, so am ending up using an old quiche tray anyway ... maybe that's why I originally started using them as it is a recipe that I got from a friend for a massive cheesecake that I've adapted to a size that suits us!
I have neverthess experimented with using some clingfilm and will see what happens when it's good and cold!
If it doesn't work, never mind. I can see that I'm going to have an excuse to buy another cake tin :lol: :lol:

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 pm

i would also go for the greaseproof paper option - less juggling, trying to keep the film away from itself while manoeuvring it into the tin - and less single use plastic in landfill.
(i have just got back from doing a beach clean - there's too much discarded plastic around).

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm

scullion wrote: less single use plastic in landfill.
(i have just got back from doing a beach clean - there's too much discarded plastic around).

:( I've no doubt there was a fair proportion of discarded maskes and other PPE :(

Yes, I agree, I have significantly cut down on my use of clingfilm. I cut it when possible and also reuse where possible. I cover things in the fridge with plates and saucers more than I used to. That also means it's sometimes easier to stack things as well when the fridge is very crowded :lol:

I know we've had a discussion on one of our threads about reusable lids, too.

Postby aero280 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:24 pm

I bought a big roll of silicone baking sheet and cut it to shape. I have several shapes now for most of my tin and some longer strips of different widths to go round the sides of tins.

The sheet is washable and the bits have been reused for years.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox