Register

Hobs gas/electric

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hobs gas/electric

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm

All induction hobs will only work if a pan is in contact with the heating area - that's the concept of how they work! And heat is only generated in the area that the pan is in contact with the hob. More here https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/06/fi ... ction-hob/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:36 pm

THe only induction hob I've used much I've found responded really quickly, there were I think 10 levels on each ring, so very adjustable

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Mine has 17 levels, plus a power mode that can be activated on all heating areas, which ramps up the heat so it's like a wok-burner (also useful when bringing things back up to temperature after adding an ingredient -eg adding pasta to boiling water). You can also "join" 2 heating areas together for use with oversized pans/tins etc.

Postby herbidacious » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:46 pm

There was definitely a time lag with MIL's. I am sure there are better and worse ones and like many things you just need to get used to what you have. It owuld have helped to have had instructions though.

I have lived in places with old fashioned electric rings - the type of cooker that had an eye level grill (great, unlss you are cooking on the hob at the same time.) There was a ceramic and halogen hob in one place which I don't remember having a problem with, but I probably didn't cook so much in that house. Shared student house. You can't hog the kitchen when there are three others. (Ditto bathroom :o )

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox