Register

Figs

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Figs

Postby scullion » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm

i love figs. they have some big, ripe, beautiful, juicy, purple ones in lidl at the moment.
they ripen in the south of the uk. a relative who used to live in dorset had a full grown tree that was always laden with big, ripe, luscious fruit in september - and a friend, local to me, has one that produces glorious fruit.
all ripening to their full extent.
i love the green figs in syrup, too, sue - i haven't seen them, down here, for years though - used to buy them from sainsbugs.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm

I bought a couple of figs from Lidl on Monday - also big, ripe and juicy. They were from Turkey.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 pm

I remember people growing figs on the south coast (shores of the Solent) when I was a child, they didn't ripen every year I don't think, but I had the odd good one, generally they were varieties that remained green when right rather than the dark varieties such as "Brown Turkey"

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:32 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Looks tasty, Sue. Yes, pretty sweet. The South African versions vary from a jammy sort of jam that you can spread, which are just a usual jam sweetness, to crystallised figs which are quite special and occasional - probably because they are so sweet. Fantastic with cheese, especially goat's and are served whole. Beautiful bright green and a a lovely green fig aroma.

Yes, it does look nice but I think I bought it once at the Turkish shop and found it too sweet.

ZeroCook, what a lovely idea with goat's cheese - definitely one for the food pairings dominos!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Oooh, I'll have to go to Lidl! I saw some lovely looking figs in an Asian greengrocers next door to the dentist yesterday but forgot when I came out. Hopefully one or the other will have some flavour.

Postby Pommes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 pm

At last, have found the recipe for HM fig jam. It is hand written on a scrappy piece of paper, but is, apparently, from an elderly French lady. I have made this jam several times, as it is not only delicious, but not too sweet. It does not keep well, but nothing like a slug of Cognac/rum on breakfast toast!!

500g. sugar, dissolved in a glass of water.
1kg. fresh figs.

Cook (simmer) for 2-2.5 hrs.
Add finely chopped walnuts 1/2hr. before the end.
Before putting in jars add 'quelques cuillères de Rhum' ...(some spoonfuls of rum.)

I prefer Cognac, as it is produced locally to me.
Bon Appétit!!

Postby cherrytree » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 am

We planted a fig tree yesterday in our garden down here in Lozere. I’ve great hopes for it.

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm

IMG_1945 (3) figs.jpg

This late warm spell is just what our figs needed ... I wasn't expecting this second crop to ripen ... but today they're changing colour almost as I watch them ... there's at least a couple of dozen on our little tree :yum :limbobanana

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Nice looking figs Suffs.

Now for the big reveal......I've never eaten a fig :oops:

Postby scullion » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 am

shocking! go and buy some tomorrow - lidl's are good.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm

I was searching for my Fig Chutney recipe, but I think it got marooned on the Wildfood board. Anyway, here it is again for anyone with a surfeit of figs. It works with both ripe and green figs, so it´s a good way to use up what ever´s left. This was one of Joan´s favourites.

KKA´s Fig Chutney
1 kg figs, quartered
375 mls white wine vinegar
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsps tamarind pulp*
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp black pepper
4 tsps sea salt
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
450 gms sugar
30 mls water

The method is simple. Put all the ingredients into a stainless steel pan and bring gently to a boil, stirring frequently to mix. Once the sugar has melted and the chutney begins to boil, lower the temperature to medium and cook until the chutney is ready, about 30 minutes. Put the chutney into sterilised jars and seal.
* Tamarind pulp: I´m not sure whether you can buy this ready made, but if not, buy a small block of tamarind. Break off a golf-ball sized lump and soak it in just enough water to cover, for about 20-30 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind with your fingers to loosen it up, then strain the pulp/water into a bowl. Discard the seeds/husks. It makes a huge difference to the final flavour, providing a lovely acidic tang to the sweetness.You could also soak the whole block and save the pulp in a jar in the fridge.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Ta ark day pulp is easy to find in karadekoolaid - in the spice shelf at many supermarkets, or cheaper in the world foods aisle

Can I just query - 30 ml water? That’s just 2 tablespoons?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 pm

OOPS!
Thank you Sue - that should be 300 mls. :crying1

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:33 am

And oops - why spell checker thinks Ta ark day is a substitute for tamarind I have no idea

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 am

why spell checker thinks Ta ark day is a substitute for tamarind I have no idea

:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

I´m beginning to resent these spell-checkers, Sue.
The other day, I was recommending a friend who makes ceviche, and I said he was the best "Cevichero" (Ceviche-maker) I knew. spell checker changed "Cevichero" to "Cenicero" - which means ashtray. :( :(

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:40 am

:gonzo

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm sure I mentioned this before but - in the 80s/90s, my ex worked for an American IT company called Unisys - which its own spell-checker thought should be "anuses". Most staff agreed with the spell-checker :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Pampy wrote:which its own spell-checker thought should be "anuses". Most staff agreed with the spell-checker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't be doing with spell-checkers - they make me grind my teeth & I turn them off where I can - it is a lazy practice, I do however, like 'Ta ark day' - a nod to Noah maybe....? Why not...... :D

Postby Amyw » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Picked up Waitrose magazine yesterday and they had some nice sounding recipes ... if you like figs , including a fig bacon and Gorgonzola tart and a fig and pistachio upside down cake

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox