Register

Foodies In The News

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodies In The News

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:54 pm

Yum! Frosties!!

It would do for me. Only eat puds if I’m eating out or entertaining. Very rare these days.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Sugar coated cereal isn't really much different to the usual sweet biscuits used for a crumb crust.

It looks nice but, as PP says, puddings are such a rare treat these days that I don't think I would choose this one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:47 pm

I intensely dislike most packaged breakfast cereals, especially cornflakes and Frosties

At least digestive biscuit crumbs have an appealing texture and flavour however sweet

As you can probably tell, I am revelling in my old age freedom to dislike foods :D

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Well I’ll join you there! I hate biscuits unless they are crushed as a base for something like this but don’t ever offer me a bourbon, a custard cream or a Nice.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 pm

I shall just eat your share (of both biscuits and breakfast cereal, which I consider a rare treat although I agree, Frosties are much too sweet) :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:11 pm

As a child I used to love Frosties and was brought up to put sugar on cereals. I soon stopped that though and my first taste of honey nut cornflakes left me appalled at how sweet they were. The only sweet biscuits in this house were digestives to go with blue cheese or used as a biscuit base, and shortbread at Christmas, until a friend sent a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Bad girl...

Postby aero280 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:14 am

I'm OK with most plain cerwals, but dislike the sweetened ones. I like sweet things, but not sugar on its own. So plain cereal, and no sugar in tea and coffee. but otherwise I like it andhave to be careful. Whe I was fat I would buy wine gums etc. every time i filled up the car with petrol, and they would be gone in 30 minutes! :o

I also hate mint choc chip icecream. In fact anything that tries to add flavour to chocolate, except perhaps coffee.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:28 am

I, on the other hand, who rarely ate sweet stuff before (preferring something salty or savoury), now crave sweets.
Yesterday I made a cheesecake with strawberry topping; today it was some chocolate chip, caramel thingies.
I finally got round to making my own golden syrup, so now I´m wondering whether a few flapjacks might not hit the spot...

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 am

Anyone fancy corn cob ice cream?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... -ice-cream

I don't.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:08 am

I'd have to try it to see. It could be alright, it's only the flavour from the cobs infused with the milk/cream but there's nothing else (such as vanilla) so I'm not sure. I do dislike creamed corn but this would be different.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:50 am

Yes. I'm not a fan of creamed corn. That's what put me off.

On the other hand Ottolenghi's tomato soups look jolly good.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... gine-aioli

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Grace Dent has been back to Wong Kei, an inexpensive Chinese restaurant that is a London Chinatown institution
I must go back

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... 1599816247

I lived on Oxford Street in a student residence in 1974/75. We were lucky enough to have a seriously foodie Singapore Chinese student, we would have a whip round and send him to Rupert Court for a takeaway feast

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Now you´ve reminded me of Chinese food in the early 70s, Sue.
We were at Goldsmiths, so our trips were either to grotty take-aways in New Cross, or across the river to E14 (I think) - Salmon Lane and Good Friends. I can just remember getting the menu, but none of the waiters spoke English - only Chinese. Excellent food, though.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:45 pm

I can actually remember a restaurant that served bird’s nest soup. My mother wouldn’t let me order it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I can actually remember a restaurant that served bird’s nest soup. My mother wouldn’t let me order it.

Alex, the foodie I mentioned above organise a Chinese New Year banquet at Lee Ho Fook in February 1975

We had both Shark's Fin and Bird's Nest soups at different stages of the meal, to be honest we only really had a very small amount each

At that point I was not aware that the rest of the shark was discarded, I assumed it was just a prized part of a fish that was eaten anyway as part of normal diet

Both tasted of good quality Chinese chicken soup base with a degree of gloopiness

Postby mistakened » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am

A colleague from Hong Kong introduced a group of us to Dim Sum in the early 1970's, long before they were fashionable. It was in what is now officially designated China Town. The carts were pushed round by very abrupt girls wearing navy cardigans over their cheong shams.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:38 am

Does Wong Kei mean something or is is just a pun? There used to be (70s onwards) a restaurant, just around the corner from Enfield Town station, called Loong Chu. My somewhat characterful auntie, prone to Malapropisms, always referred to it as Loo Chong.

Funny how food fashion changes. Every town had Chinese restaurants. They're clearly passé now, or perhaps more correctly they've got a different place in our lives. There are still plenty of takeaways but fewer proper restaurants. People would prefer to go to a Thai or Japanese place. Mentioned before here or another place that Hertford and Ware, with a total exceeding 40000 souls, haven't got a sit down Chinese restaurant between them, but four Thai and two Japanese.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 am

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Anyone fancy corn cob ice cream?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... -ice-cream

I don't.

I think this would be a whole lot nicer.

https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/whats-on/ ... n-9122359/

Postby Busybee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:48 am

Pepper Pig wrote:This is great! :lol:

The buffet.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/s ... n-covid-19

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can certainly relate to the Northern woman’s ability to put on a ‘good spread’

BB

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox