Register

german buttercream

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

german buttercream

Postby halfateabag » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 am

1 4 uschi maybe.....

i had never come across this before watching nadia the other night. i find ordinary buttercream too sweet and claggy 4 me. when 2 hands are available i will give this a go....https://www.hanielas.com/german-buttercream/

does any1 have any other frostings that are different from the run of the mill....

Re: german buttercream

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

I see your German butter cream and I raise you French buttercream :D because it’s what I immediately thought of

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/11/how ... sting.html

Postby Amyw » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:57 am

http://muffincakeypie.blogspot.com/2012 ... e.html?m=1

I swear by this mascarpone / cream cheese frosting for carrot cake . Very good on cupcakes too

Postby halfateabag » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 am

nice recipes there girls....

found this one, and as i have some yogurt to use up, thought id give it a go...https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/greek-yogurt-frosting/

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 am

Those would all be delicious, I love mascarpone as a frosting.

My only comment would be keeping qualities. I would (and do) happily store our traditional buttercream on a cake in a tin for several days but feel that the others, with egg yolks, cheese, yogurt etc might need to be eaten far more quickly. No problem if it's to be served to be all eaten on the day of course!

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Re the yoghurt "cream" one, sometimes I strain even thick Fage ones as well as homemade until really thick, about two days: thick kitchen paper inside a colander, from which the yoghurt just sort of peels off. Then add dark brown sugar which gives it a great toffee flavour.

It still keeps in the fridge for a week; I don't know what it does if on a cake.

Postby halfateabag » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:12 pm

tks. Jerald.that is exactly what i have done with my grk. yoj. like your idea of mixing with dark brown sugar. Mmmmm.....

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:18 pm

I've nothing to add since buttercream is far too sweet for me - but everytime I see the post title I see Gentlemans buttercream & in Jeral's post earlier saw " I strain even thick Fags" :?

Barnard Castle here I come.........!!!

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:...

Barnard Castle here I come.........!!!

Nooooo! Yet at the same time brilliant - usurping Specsavers from their primacy 8-)

I've never "got" buttercream fillings and frostings. I mean why eat a mouthful of neat fat just because it's sweetened or flavoured? Fresh whipped cream I "get" assuming freshly applied. If a cake or bun is that dry that it needs moisture, surely a cup of tea or different recipe makes more sense. That's just me though.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 pm

I think they enhance a cake if applied in a fairly sparing amount and look pretty too. Modern cupcakes with icing piled high make the ratio all wrong as we have discussed before. It's no different to putting butter on bread or a fruited teacake - many people like to do that.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:18 pm

the yoghurt frosting was very good, i will do that again. :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm

I
jeral wrote:I've never "got" buttercream fillings and frostings. I mean why eat a mouthful of neat fat just because it's sweetened or flavoured?

think the point of buttercream is that if it’s a good recipe it’s not just sweet “neat fat” - it should taste almost as light as whipped cream

Obviously both the German and French varieties are 50% custard so not at all “neat fat”, but the recipe my mum and I have always made whips in some liquid, which combines with the sugar, which is structural as well as sweetening, and allows a lot of air to be incorporated, to give a light creamy rather than buttery mouth feel

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:20 pm

halfateabag, good to hear the yoghurt worked well :)

Stokey Sue's light aerated version of buttercream is a world away from some clods, although I gather a lot of things are aerated more now to increase volume and thus sell fresh air 8-)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 pm

The air is part of the texture
When mum got her first Kenwood Chefette mini stand mixture we we astonished how many things were improved by beating in more air - it’s not just about bulking out to save money

There’s research to there somewhere that addresses the percentage “overrun” (the percentage volume that’s air) in ice cream that tastes est - it’s surprisingly high as I remember it

Even simple buttercream that is made of sugar + butter + concentrated flavouring is not just sweetened fat, because the sugar is texture as well as sweetness (though the liquid makes it creamier)

Postby halfateabag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 am

agree with most of these points, my mum used to add a droddle of whole milk to her buttercream and it was silkier.

i can't remember the brand but i think lidl sell it.....ice cream which was three quarters fresh air, i did feel shortchanged.

Postby Uschi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm

Sorry Zosh, I was in hospital and did not see this.

German buttercream is usually a blancmange-type of vanilla pudding and unsalted butter at exactly the same temperature.

It is best to prepare the pudding the night before and leave it to get to room temperature. Leave the butter out overnight so they will both have the same temperature.

Our puddings are usually made with 500 ml of milk. Prepare the pudding and place clingfilm directly onto the surface of the still hot pudding to avoid a skin forming. You will need 200 g of unsalted butter for this.

When both butter and pudding have room temperature, whisk the butter until fluffy and whitish. Add the pudding spoonful by spoonful whisking each time until the pudding has been totally emulgated before adding the next spoonful.
Take your time, the mixture might split otherwise.
If it does, use a heaped tblsp of really hot coconut oil or vegetable shortening poured in slowly while whisking on high speed. That usually does the trick.

Once the Buttercreme has combined, use it immediately to cover your cake and pipe decorations onto it.

This is the basic buttercream for Frankfurt Ring Cake with hazlenut brittle.

If you want a different flavour, just use chocolate blancmange or any other flavour.

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Uschi wrote:Sorry Zosh, I was in hospital and did not see this.

Sorry to hear that, Uschi - hope all is well with you now. :newhuggy

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Oh dear Uschi - hope you get better soon :newhuggy

Postby Uschi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Thank you! I am taking it easy.

Postby scullion » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm

hope you're back to normal soon, and best wishes for axel.

Uschi wrote: Leave the butter out overnight so they will both have the same temperature.[...]

When both butter and pudding have room temperature,

'are the same temperature' and 'are at room temperature' would be a more natural way of saying it in english (yeah, we have a stupid language! - a state of being rather than, more sensibly, having a quality).

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox