Register

Baked gnocchi

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Baked gnocchi

Postby Binky » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:14 am

Maybe this isn't original, but OH loaded a baking tray with red onion, mushrooms, peppers, vine tomatoes, halloumi cheese chunks, gnocchi and basil, then drizzled oil over the lot. Popped into the oven. Ready in 40 mins or thereabouts. A really nice meal and dead easy he said.

Re: Baked gnocchi

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:06 pm

That sounds terrific, Binky. I picked up a packet of spinach gnocchi at Lidl yesterday, so will remember that idea when we get round to eating them.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 pm

God, did somebody go and mention gnocchi! I absolutely love it.

Short story ... in Sicily.
We went to a famous restaurant in Taormina, I had gnocchi to start - Yumm-O. But one of those situations where the starter is as big as a main that you sometimes get abroad.
And then pizza, which I couldn't quite finish, save a little bit.

Chef came out with my plate of abandoned pizza, querying why I hadn't finished it all. Awkward.
I explained I'd had gnocchi to start, and he bellowed "gnocchi!" :idea: Ooooph - patting his stomach. Shouting back at the kitchen about the gnocchi starter.

Honestly, what a precious palaver over a diddy bit of pizza.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:32 pm

:lol: :lol: quite nice that they really care if you enjoyed the food or not though!

Tray baking gnocchi was a game changer for me. Absolutely delicious. Your combination of flavours sounds lovely, Binky.

Postby Binky » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:47 pm

From distant memory, I think I first saw this idea with Nigella Lawson. She had it as potato accompaniment 'substitute' whenever you lacked spuds. She also made mini pizzas using naan bread and we did that for a few years as quick lunches.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:16 pm

Meant to ask earlier, was it wet enough?

I'm vaguely recalling that when OH baked them once he did it in a sauce, rather than just with the veg and olive oil.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:24 pm

I often pan fry it. I don't think I have tried tray baking. I shall do so.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm

Not online at the moment in the original from her book Kitchen but I daresay there are many copies out there, but Nigella's version is called Rapid Roastini. I thnk it was Suelle who put me onto it.

Postby Suelle » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:02 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Not online at the moment in the original from her book Kitchen but I daresay there are many copies out there, but Nigella's version is called Rapid Roastini. I thnk it was Suelle who put me onto it.

Possibly. I still have them regularly. I divide the pack and freeze in single portions, then fry from frozen. I've seen lots of recipes using gnocchi in traybakes but haven't tried them that way.

As Nigella's recipe proves - you don't need liquid to cook gnocchi, although some traybake recipes advise cooking them in boiling water first.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Binky » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:38 pm

the liquid from the fresh tomatoes is enough to give a little moisture and flavour to the baking gnocchi. The gnocchi swell up nicely and have a crispy crust. I am not keen on fried food of any sort these days, so anything we can grill/bake/roast works for us.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm

When I fry them, it's less than a teaspoon of oil for a whole packet, so not too bad when i am only eating half of that. I don't fry food either, unless the occasional omelette counts. This is the exception.

I should say, I don't just not fry for health reasons. I hate the smell and also don't like standing over things!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:46 pm

:thumbsup Binky

We rarely fry fish or meat, when we have it, because of the smell, but we do almost always start off the onions etc for pretty much everything in a saute pan.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:46 pm

I do a lot of 'stir fries' in a non stick wok shaped pan with veg and sometimes gnocchi which browns deliciously. I use an oil spray so the oil content is minimal. It saves putting the oven on and is quick but I agree that anything that leaves a lingering smell is better done in the oven.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Binky wrote:Maybe this isn't original, but OH loaded a baking tray with red onion, mushrooms, peppers, vine tomatoes, halloumi cheese chunks, gnocchi and basil, then drizzled oil over the lot. Popped into the oven. Ready in 40 mins or thereabouts. A really nice meal and dead easy he said.

I think I'm going to try that tonight, but DS1 doesn't like mushrooms so will do more of the others and probably use the courgettes I've got in the fridge :thumbsup

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox