Register

Pickled Onions

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Pickled Onions

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Why are "proper" onions so weeny these days? Not much bigger than pickled onions.

I'm whingeing because I'm having to chop up three of the silly little things to end up with one onionsworth of onion...

I'm guessing something to do with Brexit.

Re: Pickled Onions

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:20 pm

Do you mean the raw red and white ones ? I buy mine loose and choose the size I like ... however, they are all of a similar size (medium?) I think the large white ones are pre-packed and a premium is charged for them.

It's shallots that I lose patience with as they are so difficult to peel :roll:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:51 pm

That must be the answer - you're nicking all the decent-sized ones :-(

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:50 pm

Sakkarin … I’m thinking you mean ‘brown onions’ … Bro is a big grower for the major supermarkets … yes we’re near or at the end of supplies of homegrown ones … normally at this time of year we’re importing them from mainland Europe but of course, there are now all sorts of delays etc … Bdooly Russia’s invasion of Ukraine isn’t helping supplies either. A dry spring here won’t have helped our onion farmers … but hopefully this years onion harvest which should start next month, will be a good one … however even tho Bro and his pals grow quite a few, I doubt if we’ll be self-sufficient in onions for a good few years yet… just a few of the family farm onions http://www.suffolkproduce.co.uk/ ;)

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:18 am

It’s also a fact that the highest yield per acre of onions is achieved at plant densities that produce small onions. It’s true also for other veg such as carrots. However, small carrots can be very effectively marketed at a premium as ‘baby’, implying ’young & tender’, whereas little onions are not so popular so there’s a compromise to be made.

I’ve noticed that ‘baby potatoes’ are now being sold. Presumably these reflect improved storage technology as they aren’t new potatoes.

Postby Suelle » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:34 am

I haven't found onions to be very small - I often only use half an onion in a meal for one, then have to think of a way of using up the other half before it goes off.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:46 am

Suelle wrote:I haven't found onions to be very small - I often only use half an onion in a meal for one, then have to think of a way of using up the other half before it goes off.

Same here, I often buy echallion (banana) shallots as one is often a single portion

The loose onions in Morrisons last week were nice firm onions, very uniform and I’d say medium sized, averaging 140g

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:51 am

Re pickled onions, I find co-op own label ones the crunchiest.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox