Register

Tapas - ish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tapas - ish

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:00 pm

I'm sure a lot of us have changed certain of our pre Covid routines, I know I have. My pal over the road and his wife now always have an Indian takeaway on a Saturday, and I now don't go for a pint, early doors. I tend to cook a meal which might be a bit involved,take a bit of time, and also be great for Sundays, when I do like to go for a pint - and don't want to "get the pans out" when I get back. We have a few drinks in my kitchen, before he wanders back for his takeaway.
The other week, I was cooking with chorizo, and had a bit to spare, so while we were knocking them back, I made a quick tapas type taster of chorizo fried in red wine. He rhapsodised over it, so I thought I wouldn't mind turning the idea into a bit of a tradition. I just want to make things that will take say 15 mins max, while we're chatting. Just something to pick up and nibble. Any suggestions, please -bearing in mind we're a couple of blokes having a few drinks, not at a polite buffet? :lol:

Re: Tapas - ish

Postby Seatallan » Tue May 31, 2022 5:21 pm

Sounds yummy Gruney! :yum

Here's a thing I often do on a Saturday afternoon as a snack- thick slice of (preferably) sourdough bread, toast under grill on one side, spread untoasted side with butter and then pesto (currently using up my wild garlic home made pesto), then some grated cheese of your choice and a wee sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce. Grill until cheese is melted and then cut into squares. :)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Suelle » Tue May 31, 2022 10:11 pm

Have you tried frying bought gnocchi - ie Nigella's Rapid Roastini? They would be good as they are, if well seasoned, or could be used for dipping into something tasty.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gruney2 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:28 pm

Both of those ideas seem to tick all the boxes - thank you.

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:56 am

A sheet of bought puff pastry, spread with tapenade or pesto (many flavours available - I like the Sacla aubergine one), add grated cheese if desired.

Roll up tight and cut into 1cm slices. Place on baking parchment and bake at 200C until golden (10-12 minutes).
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby liketocook » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:24 pm

What about tortilla made in advance and served at room temperature? Spanish meatballs in a tomato sauce could be another option again made in advance and just reheated. Simple but good is padron peppers (Lidl often have them) fried in olive oil and sprinkled with salt.
I often make a canape of a dried fig with a knob of goats cheese wrapped in Serrano ham. Delicious cold but even better popped in the oven for 10 minutes or so.

Postby Gruney2 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Thanks both.

Postby Amber » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:11 pm

I love padron peppers too, with lots of garlic :thumbsup

Quick, easy, and preppable in advance - we love it!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sund ... iced-lamb-
and-tahini-tart

Postby Uschi » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:47 pm

I may be too late, but mushrooms, stuffed with some feta (or minced meat and feta) and a bit of garlic butter (and dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary and oregano, if you like) , popped into a Pyrex dish with a little oil on the bottom, and into the oven untill the mushrooms start to fry a bit, then some stock is added (and red wine if you like) and they are left to bake until tender. You can pop them under the grill so the cheese will brown a bit, too.

They are lovely on their own, but I often add a bit of creme fraiche to the sauce before serving and have them with rice.

If you want to prepare a bit more for the next day, stuff small peppers with feta and olives and prepare them in the same dish.

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:00 am

fried olives - good even without the egg and breadcrumb coating.

the burmese tofu fritters that sue posted some while back, if you want a little bit of make ahead and cook when wanted - good with bottled sweet chilli sauce rather than making the sauce, too.

cheese crisps - grated cheese sprinkled in piles on a baking sheet and bunged in the oven - or son used to make them on a plate in the microwave, on for a minute.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:44 am

I do cheese crisps in a non stick pan on the hob. Really easy and very, very nice.

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:48 pm

We had a very nice Tapas meal in Stockholm this evening. A real mix. I suspect that you could make anything Tapas. We has calamari, beetroot salad, garlic bread, pork and mushroom kebabs, grilled halloumi. So anything really. :)

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:02 am

An old favourite … Spanish Prawns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/praw ... butt_86031

good with a sprinkling of chilli flakes too.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:49 am

Making adobo overnight marinade for pan fried swordfish steaks - excellent for any firm fish. I usually just do the marinade but posting here as I've done it fried as per recipe (I don't always add the cumin) in bite sized pieces and it's a really great tappa. Can be marinated and made same day, too.

Fried Fish in Adobo Marinade Tappa
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fried-fish-in-adobo

1/4 cup =60ml
kosher salt = coarse salt so use max half or less what of it says

How do you get the timing etc right so the cheese crisps don't cook unevenly or burn EM?

Gambas al ajillo/gambas pilpil are always super good, Suffs!

Postby Binky » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 am

Spread a few tortillas with grated cheese and onion. Fold in half. Lightly fry until pale golden. Pop onto kitchen paper. Cut into small triangles. Munch with a few cold beers.

OH also squashes up a ripe avocado with chopped tomatoes, lime juice and a bit of fresh coriander (not really guacamole but near enough) and we have that with tortilla chips (packets bought at M&S and recommended). We travelled round Baja many years ago and this was always the 'tapas' brought out when you ordered a beer. Included in the cost of the drink.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:20 pm

They sound nice and easy, Binky.

ZeroCook wrote:How do you get the timing etc right so the cheese crisps don't cook unevenly or burn EM

It's one of those things that you perfect just by looking after a couple of tries. Hot pan. Watch for the cheese to start browning just a little. Just use a thin, even layer of grated cheese, about a a dessertspoonful so that it isn't much thicker in the middle than the outer edges. They will be molten/slightly rubbery when removed from the pan with a palette knife or flat utensil. Leave on a rack to cool and they crisp up.

Postby scullion » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:46 pm

Binky wrote:Spread a few tortillas with grated cheese and onion. Fold in half. Lightly fry until pale golden. Pop onto kitchen paper.

quesadillas are one of our quick, comfort dinners - although unfolded (two tortillas with the filling, each) and cut into quarters. they are good with sliced tomato or pickle added inside, with the onion and cheese.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 am

We like quesadillas too. At this time of year a good filling is mashed peas or broad beans (or both) with mint and onion as well as the cheese.

I am rubbish at making them properly though. They’re overfilled, more like pasties than quesadillas.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:31 am

An entirely inauthentic “quesadilla“ can be made with a Staffordshire (or Derbyshire) oatcake, it’s very good

I tend to make my own oatcakes which are smaller than bought oatcakes or tortillas so they make quite dainty tapas when cut up

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:06 pm

Thought this might be a useful link …

https://spanishsabores.com/spanish-tapas-recipes/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox