Register

Ful mesdames

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ful mesdames

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:24 pm

However you spell it, it's quite delicious.
I am doing a kind of meze for our lovely neighbours on Monday.
Despite the fact it's so well known, there are a surprising number of 'tweaks'
Unsurprisingly, I cannot get fava beans, so wondered if frozen baby broad beans would do, or any other suitable bean.

Have you got a t & t recipe please?

Re: Ful mesdames

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:15 pm

For future reference Asian shops often have the Ma Ling brand in cans, labelled as foul medames and as broad beans (but they are brown fava beans)

I think you probably need a dried pulse, I suspect borlotti beans would work quite well?

I think the trick is to cook them until quite soft , the problem with the Ma Ling ones is that I think they aren't as soft as I'd like

Once cooked, just dressed with olive oil, lemon (and/or sumac) and optionally parsley and cumin. Served with hard boiled eggs or labneh quite often, I remember having them for breakfast in Egypt and Syria, loads of variants

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:31 pm

if you'd mentioned it a couple of days ago i could have sent you some dried ones (yes, the little brown ones) - i have a large jarful of homegrown.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:32 pm

My first thought was dried butter beans - they're good at absorbing flavour - don't have a t&t recipe for you - I always wing that kinda thing, tons on the net to pick thro'.

I now have a hankering for judions which I shall now dig out & put to soak..........love this board for inspiration.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:01 pm

Flavour and texture wise, any dried cooked beans or pulses will work. Fresh from frozen baby lima beans would be interesting tho a little different. Chickpeas would work, as would lima beans/butterbeans/judions as mentioned or pinto beans, which turn brown in colour when long cooked, would also be my choice. Canned beans of any type would be totally fine. If you have an Asian, or better still Middle Eastern shop in the area, or even an Asian/MEsection in your local smarket you will likely be able to find canned ful/broad beans in any case. Canned pulses sometimes need further cooking - dump contents into a saucepan with some extra water and simmer on low until soft.

Without starting another bean cooking debate, dry beans or pulses cooked in plenty of water without soaking (crock pot/slow cooker my pref) with a little salt or seasoning produce a great result from a very long simmer (several hours) that leaves the skins intact and insides super soft and creamy.

Postby scullion » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:00 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Without starting another bean cooking debate,

well, you have really because the kidney type beans need a ≥ 10 mins boil to neutralise the toxin before you slow cook them - a step not to be forgotten.
i think we all have our favourite way of cooking dried pulses.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 pm

Yes, indeed. Quite right. Red kidney beans aside.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 pm

I made them with pinto beans - and they went down a treat.
Thank you.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox