Register

Tea Bag Quality

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tea Bag Quality

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:22 am

We use Sainsbury's Red Label Tea Bags, both the usual ones and the De Caff ones. Just lately the bags have been of very poor quality, broken in the boxes before use and breaking up in the cup in use. We have complained to Sainsbugs about this, has anyone else had problems?

Re: Tea Bag Quality

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:34 am

It may be because a lot/most of the tea bags used to contain plastic ... the evidence was there for all to see in garden compost bins ... they never decomposed ... now most of them have stopped using plastic, but it does make them a bit more fragile. OH has stopped using teabags for his daytime tea ... he buys looseleaf and uses a basket infuser thingummy he got from Procook where he works. He's currently using Sainsbug's Red Label decaffinated (blue box) bags which seem ok, and are described on the pack as compostable.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:39 am

We thought that was the problem Suffs, will need to get an infusion thingy.

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:16 pm

When he uses the decaff bags he uses a pair of these tongs https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/19025873662?iid=164959269148 to dunk and squeeze the bag which seem to work without tearing them.

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:14 pm

we use a pair of those - well, i say use, they seem to have disappeared - i wouldn't put it past my partner to have 'lost' it in the worm bin. the (decaf) bags then get opened and the parts get distributed appropriately
he uses a (different) pair for slug removal...
we, also, use a deep, 'cup' strainer for making him single cups of tea with loose leaves.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:24 pm

I wouldn't be without this for my tea bags ... I do sometimes have a burst bag, but on the whole, it squeezes every last drop of water out.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/12644/Tea-Tool

I was also going to suggest it could be as a result of using less/no plastic. I actively look for tea bags that state that no plastic is used.

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:20 pm

I'm using Yorkshire Gold at the moment and checked their website. They plan to make their plastic packaging reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.

Thanks for the Lakeland link Pam! I will order one.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:32 am

I may be in the minority but I do like PG Tips but the last couple of boxes have had a lot of teabags break up and I did wonder it the removal of the plastic was the cause and that seems to be the case.

Friends use Twinings English Breakfast and they don’t have that problem so I’ve switched to them, it helps that they are on offer in Sainsbury’s though.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:24 am

I use Twinings English Breakfast too but can't find any info on the website and have thrown the box away. the bags hold up ok. Everyone who visits comments in how nice the tea tastes. I rarely drink it on my own so a packet lasts for ages.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I use Twinings English Breakfast too but can't find any info on the website and have thrown the box away. the bags hold up ok. Everyone who visits comments in how nice the tea tastes. I rarely drink it on my own so a packet lasts for ages.

Doesn’t say anything on the box, I’ve just looked as I have an opened one.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:01 pm

I use Yorkshire teabags, always in a teapot.
Don't really enjoy the flavour when a teabag is used in a mug.

They seem to be holding together ok, possibly because they get more gentle treatment in a pot?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox