Register

Pancake Day

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pancake Day

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:51 am

It's Shrove Tuesday next week (March 1st). Will you be making special pancakes?

A local garden centre cafe is offering a selection of sweet pancakes for breakfast - and these. I wonder if it's the courgette fritter recipe which Wildies were mad about for a while.
Courgette & feta stacked pancakes topped with smashed avocado & salsa (v) - L 10.5

Re: Pancake Day

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:31 am

Hmmm, it's St David's Day too.. perhaps get inventive with those pancakes!
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/f ... davids-day

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:40 am

We usually have a pile of pancakes as our meal on shrove Tuesday :oops: (it is only once a year after all :D ). This year there is no way I can stand long enough to cook them so we were going to give it a miss, however, the reviews of Sainsbury's plain ones were good so we bought a few packs.

They will be the usual lemon & sugar or maple syrup toppings so nothing special, maybe next year I'll push the boat out.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 am

Made mine a few weeks back (and froze them). Love making pancakes. One of the most therapeutic things ever I think. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:12 pm

Slimpersoninside, I tried bought ones - I think from Sainsburys - once and they were excellent. I was quite surprised. I find pancake making quite a chore and felt that these were something that compared quite well to home efforts without the hassle.

I hope you enjoy them! I don't think you can beat lemon and sugar as a topping.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm

I usually make them and this year I was going to use Sea's method of wrapping, freezing and reheating, but circumstances got in the way and that is now next years plan.

EM, I saw a few reviewers of the Sainsbury's ones saying they were almost as good as homemade, this is what swayed us to give them a go.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:25 pm

I’ll be having Scotch pancakes with butter and possibly maple sauce.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:41 pm

Oooh, that's good to know. EM, I'm with you on the pancake making - odd, isn't it, how some things just strike you as being too much of a chore!

I will look out for the Sainsbury's ones :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:44 am

I just don't get it .... for us pancakes are a quick and easy lunch/supper ... quicker than reheating most 'ready meals' ... no faff, no hassle and hardly any washing up ... tasty too, with a huge range of sweet and savoury options for fillings ... what's not to love? :? :lol: :yum :starwars

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:52 am

As I say, I adore making pancakes- it's one of my favourite kitchen things especially if I'm listening to Radio 6 whilst I'm making. :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Suffs wrote:I just don't get it .... for us pancakes are a quick and easy lunch/supper ... quicker than reheating most 'ready meals' ... no faff, no hassle and hardly any washing up ... tasty too, with a huge range of sweet and savoury options for fillings ... what's not to love? :? :lol: :yum :starwars

I'm ok with the first one but have trouble keeping the pan and fat temperature just right for the rest. I don't see how they can be quick, that relentless pancake after pancake. I'm always astounded how many a basic mixture makes. I always make thin ones - if I want something thicker it goes in the waffle maker and is lovely! Waffle recipes contain oil or butter, I think that might be the difference with a successful thick sort.

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:55 pm

For me the first one is always scrappy ... it's Cook's perks :yum ... the rest are straight forward and done in moments. We're all different :lol: :newhuggy

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:59 pm

I never get them right, neither the first nor any of the subsequent ones, and agrree with EM re how on earth they can be quick, unless you're doing several pans at once! They're always consumed before the next one is even made and whoever is cooking them has to wait ... faff is hardly the word for it :lol: :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 pm

That's why I make a batch in advance and freeze them. :D

I've got it off to a fine art over the years. Never made a dud pancake yet. As Suffs says, we're all different.

Postby Suffs » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:34 pm

I've just made a bowl of batter ... it's been 'left to stand' until suppertime.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:41 pm

No I don't find proper pancakes - crepes - quick and easy, you make maybe 6 or 8 from each egg and you have to stand over them and nurse each one.

If I'm in the mood I can quite enjoy that, comes in the same category as stirring risotto I suppose, and I probably don't do them often enough to get practised.

According to Martin Blunos the Latvian equivalent of the English proverb "if at first you don't succeed..." translates simply as "The first pancake is a lump"!

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:48 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:According to Martin Blunos the Latvian equivalent of the English proverb "if at first you don't succeed..." translates simply as "The first pancake is a lump"!

Love it, Sue :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:50 pm

Seatallan wrote:That's why I make a batch in advance and freeze them. :D

I've got it off to a fine art over the years. Never made a dud pancake yet. As Suffs says, we're all different.

How thick are your pancakes, Seatallen? Mine (the sort I like with lemon and sugar) are more like crepes and can easily fall apart - that's the sort I was brought up with. My experience exactly as KC2 describes. I can't imagine being able to stack them. Are yours more the American fluffy sort?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm

I used to make and stack crepes, haven't done it for years, but made crepes Suzette for OH, the trick I think is to cook them quite slowly so that every drop of batter is set

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:23 pm

I wonder what this is like to use?
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/63489/Lakela ... repe-Maker.
Mention of crepes Suzette reminded me of a French girl I knew who had the burner for the table and everything - I think I could manage to fold them and put them into the sauce to flambee. Yum.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox