Register

Tinned fish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Tinned fish

Postby Kacey » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:04 pm

Oh Sue, that was Sunday tea at my nans back in the 60's - and I'm a yam-yam! I'd add that the cake was always a large Devonshire Spilt and another plate of Kunzle cup cakes. My nan was a fab baker of cakes, but for some weird reason, Sunday's was always 'bought' cake

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:54 pm

Ah thank you , I will give my verdict as soon as I try

Postby dennispc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:57 am

Tinned sardines in tomato always in stock. Gone off having them as sandwiches, bread gets soggy, but frequently add to salads. Tuna the same but with mayo, goes well with jacket potato too.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:08 am

Tinned salmon was always on the table for our Sunday tea ... along with prawns, winkles, whelks and sometimes oysters. There was always vinegar and salad cream to add individually (mayo never heard of in our house in those days)

It was always salad and bread and butter too - oh and cream cheese triangles

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:39 am

Dad often had salad soaked in malt vinegar, which he called 'dressed salad'. I suspect it was something that people all over the country did, but it died out in some places sooner than others. It's a tradition that didn't survive into my generation!

We've got a tin of salmon and I think, one of mackerel in brine or oil, that I had earmarked for fishcakes.

ETA My Nan, (maternal grandmother), used to tell the story about 'pilchards and plaster' for tea, presumably one Sunday evening, when the ceiling came down as the gasworks and railway yards were being bombed.
Last edited by Badger's Mate on Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mistakened » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:41 am

I prefer canned salmon to fresh salmon

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:50 am

Been thinking more about this. Pilchards in tomato sauce with rice.
Tinned herring roes on toast.

I would rather have tinned tuna than salmon.

Postby Suffs » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:55 am

I like tinned sardines and pilchards in oil or brine, but not in tomato sauce :shock: ... I always preferred the John West Brisling and Sild but it's ages since Ive seen them on sale ... they're small herring so it's probably a good job that they're not being caught before they get to breeding size.

Yes, we often had tinned salmon with butterhead lettuce and salad cream for Sunday tea in the summer, with beetroot and radishes from the garden ... but prawns were a rare luxury indeed and we would only have cockles, winkles and whelks etc if we were at Granny's caravan at East Runton, and then the salmon would be replaced by dressed crab.

Tinned potato salad too ... or the tinned mixed vegetable salad ... depending on which the weekly delivery from the International Stores 8 miles away had delivered.

No vinegar on the salad tho' ... Ma didn't approve of vinegar and it was only used for pickling, making mint sauce or on chips (or sometimes Pa would sneak a little onto his runner beans) ... apparently it was due to something the nuns had said when she was at school about the Roman soldier having offered Jesus a sponge soaked in vinegar/sour wine during the crucifixion ... :?

Then tinned fruit salad with Nestlés cream or evaporated milk ... trifle if we had guests.

Then a piece of fruit cake.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:03 pm

Tesco sell a Polish vegetable salad that is vey reminiscent of the Heinz tinned stuff, although the pieces are cut smaller. I've never found it in store but we often have it delivered.

Postby Suffs » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:15 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Tesco sell a Polish vegetable salad that is vey reminiscent of the Heinz tinned stuff, although the pieces are cut smaller. I've never found it in store but we often have it delivered.

Russian ex DIL says it's a poor Polish imitation of Russian salad ... which "should be home made and have hard boiled egg and smoked sausage in it" ... hers is delicious. :yum :lol:

Postby Seatallan » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Oooh, I'm now reminded of the odd occasions when we'd have tinned salmon when I was a child (and occasionally tinned shrimps I seem to recall). It was the only time we ever had actual brown bread and it seemed most exotic! :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:32 pm

Suffs wrote:
Badger's Mate wrote:Tesco sell a Polish vegetable salad that is vey reminiscent of the Heinz tinned stuff, although the pieces are cut smaller. I've never found it in store but we often have it delivered.

Russian ex DIL says it's a poor Polish imitation of Russian salad ... which "should be home made and have hard boiled egg and smoked sausage in it" ... hers is delicious. :yum :lol:

I went to a talk by Olia Hercules (Ukrainian) and Alissa Timoshkina (Russian), both brought up in the USSR.
They were talking about the food traditions of the wider area, and Soviet food in particular, apparently there was an official menu with recipes for the New Year's Eve feast that was recommended for all good Soviet families.

This included an official recipe for what they call Salad Olivieh, which was allegedly invented by a Belgian chef!

Here is Alissa's recipe and thoughts on it, the recipe contains egg but she serves the smoked sausage on the side
https://www.alissatimoshkina.com/blog/t ... s-eve-tale

Postby Suffs » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:01 pm

That reminds me of New Year's Eve with Elvira and her mother the redoubtable Zemfira and the aunts and cousins ... however it had to be mayonnaise, but home made ... nothing bought in the UK tasted 'authentic'.
The portion sizes were ........ remarkable :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:03 pm

Suffs wrote:I always preferred the John West Brisling and Sild

The Lushly adores sild - particularly the Norwegian ones, so he used to bring back a suitcase full of tins on a trip - much to the amusement of the Norwegians.......for a good few years now one particular customer & now a good friend has been sending him a massive boxfull at Xmas that would literally last the year, until last year when the custom charges/procedures changed & we had to pay an eye-watering custom charge before they'd deliver - expensive sild that year.....!!!

Now he gets a small box ............ :D which still makes him happy.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:23 pm

We should save this thread as a social history.

What a treat that salad with peas and carrots must have been when things were scarce in the middle of a Russian winter! A lot of it reminds me of a wonderful potato salad a woman I knew used to make. Her husband had been a POW from East Germany and when he settled here and married the Englush woman I knew, her MIL set to to teach her to cook 'properly' for her son. She was a good pupil and the salad was a dream. Lots of little bits including sausage and egg.

I always preferred Heinz potato salad to Russian. Wasn't keen on the peas and carrots. Funny we only had it with salad in the summer when fresh veg was plentiful. It would have been nice at Christmas with ham and pickled veg.

GD's ma loves the jars of cockles in vinegar you can get in supermarkets. I find them a bit too vinegary for my liking.

We often used to have Sikd. I didn't realise it wasn't commonplace any more. We used to get cans of smoked oysters too. Are they still around?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Ikea was a good source of the Swedish Abba canned fish but they no longer stock it, though they have Kalles Kaviar in tubes :yum:

You can get Abba from Scandi Kitchen (behind the BBC on Gt Titchfield Street or mail order), a favourite lunch stop of mine for the open sandwiches

I once bought "ansjovis" which are actually sprat fillets to make an authentic Janssen's Temptation
My advice is don't the spicing are um, interesting, including sandalwood in some brands

But here they are on the Scandi Kitchen website, pretty tin
https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product ... is-125g-2/

I see they do canned matjes herrings, (literally "maidens"), I love matjes which are the new season herrings caught from around midsummer in the North Sea and the Baltic, a big thing all around the coast except for some reason the UK, they are lightly fermented in their own juice and delicious, my Dutch relatives are obsesses with them so I've been eating them since I was small though rarely, I last had them in Berlin

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:37 am

Supermarket deli counters used to sell something called Russian Salad but it was egg- and sausage-free. I suspect someone like Matteson’s supplied it.

A couple of years ago we went to Kamchatka (foreign travel- remember that?). We had a number of Russian salad type mixtures. None involved egg or sausage either, so I imagine it’s a dish that has been made all over the place with a variety of recipes.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:31 pm

mistakened wrote:I prefer canned salmon to fresh salmon

Me too. I always keep a can in the cupboard for a sandwich, keep tuna in Spring Water for that as well. Sardines, mackerel, pilchards etc in tomato sauce is eaten straight from the tin.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:00 pm

During the war my mum made salmon fishcakes using canned salmon. I made them for my children and also Charlotte, my granddaughter.

I was lucky enough to be in the Netherlands with Colin when the new season's herrings had arrived. They were served with sliced raw onions. I seem to remember that they are gutted on the boat and put into a barrel with salt. Yes, it's quite a special thing over there.

Postby aero280 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:03 pm

When i visited some Danish suppliers for work, they had jars of sweet cured rollmops, which were very nice indeed! :)

Maybe something like this? https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -322138011

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox