Register

Tinned fish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tinned fish

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Never ever tried tinned fish , although I do like fish , but saw a photo of some sardines on toast the other day and thought it looked quite nice .. so bought a couple of tins . Just wondered if anyone had any tips of what to do with them apart from just on toast or anything to add to it to make them more exciting

Re: Tinned fish

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Never had tinned sardines......? Where've you been hiding?!?! :o

Seriously Amyw, tinned sardines are such a good storecupboard standby - everytime I have them I wonder why I don't eat them more often.
Apart from on toast, which is so good - I mix a tin or two with linguine/spaghetti - if using sardines in tomato just pour the whole can(s) into a pan & mash up lightly then add whatever you like to spice it up - I usually add capers, crushed chillies/chilli powder or cayenne, lemon juice, peas, chopped olives,a fried onion or finely chopped spring onion, garlic, whatever's to hand really - usually needs more olive oil & then lob the pasta in & stir thro, parsley is good added at the end.

It really is a brilliant hangover cure......... :thumbsup

forgot to add chilli oil instead of olive oil is :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:59 pm

My Dad, bless him, used to have sardine sandwiches once a week throughout his working life. Sardines in oil, mixed with (malt) vinegar and pepper. I was never a fan of those. It's said we turn into our parents and eventually I had tinned fish once a week for the latter part of my working life, in my case mackerel in tomato sauce with crusty bread and a dribble of West Indian hot pepper sauce on the side.

Tinned fish goes well with pasta, as luscious says. Classically, Pasta alla puttanesca is made with anchovies but the sauce works really well with any tinned fish, be it my mackerel, tuna, herrings in oil or tomato, pilchards or Dad's sardines.

Some supermarkets sell sardines with chillies in oil, They're nice if you like all the ingredients.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:06 pm

|I really like tinned sardines and mackerel but find they repeat on me afterwards. I agree about the deliciously easy pasta sauces you can make with them. They are healthy and cheap so I would like to be able to eat them regularly.
It doesn't happen with anchovies.

One of my friends swears by jars of mackerel rather than cans - I haven't ever tried them so don't know if I would experience the same aftertaste.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:17 pm

Badgers - it could be a Northern thing, The Lushly likes sardines with vinegar too & sometimes straight out of the tin if I'm not around :oops:

Amyw what about anchovies? I start off so many recipes cooking down anchovies - they're a great flavour layer.

And then there's tinned tuna & salmon - what about those?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Posh tinned fish is a thing, Felicity Cloake has mentioned it quite a lot in her social media as someone gave a tinned fish subscription, I think from this link, they sell all kinds of tinned fish some of it pricey
https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/

Some posh tinned fish is definitely a treat, really good albacore tuna in oil such as Ortiz is noticeably a different thing to what you get in a routine tuna salad sandwich - all Ortiz stuff is good, and it and Fish4Life are the premium brands most widely available

Having said which, super cheap Lidl Nixe* sardines in tomato sauce are my default, I like the sauce. I mix with spring onion and some kind of chilli sauce to put on toast, bread or a jacket spud

I also like most tinned fish with salads, preferably with something sharp like watercress

*I looked up Nixe, she’s a sea nymph, daughter of Neptune

Postby Seatallan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:09 pm

I love tinned fish!

I agree with the pasta suggestions. I also think tinned fish works well in a veg stove-top stew, served with baked spuds and melted cheese. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Busybee » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:19 pm

I’m really not a fish person but I bloomin love tinned sardines, tuna and salmon.

Purists look away now…………the addition of malt vinegar and or salad cream improves them no end. Love them on toast, sandwiches, salads, pasta with all the usual flavourings, I even like tinned pilchards.

Such a cheap convenient protein element to a meal.

BB

Postby Amyw » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:24 pm

I don’t mind tinned tuna in a pasta bake but don’t like tuna sandwiches . Love anchovies . Silly question , if you have the sardines in a sandwich /on toast , do you heat them up or have them as they are

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:46 pm

I put them on the hot buttered toast & then pop them back under the grill to warm through - you can eat sardines straight out of the can in a sarnie with whatever you fancy putting with them - crispy lettuce is nice - also a bit of thinly sliced fennel.

This thread has reminded me how much I like sprats - it's been a while!

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:05 pm

Amyw wrote: Silly question , if you have the sardines in a sandwich /on toast , do you heat them up or have them as they are

Toast a couple of slices of bread well on one side, then partially on the other. Spread butter and mashed sardines, and top with sliced tomatoes, a bit of s&p - then back under the grill.
Last edited by Gruney2 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:11 pm

I'm not big on tinned fish, other than tuna but J loves a stinky breakfast of tinned mackerel in olive oil on toast.
Says it's good for his heart and his brain.

I think he just likes the taste.

I do quite like dressed crab from a tin.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:26 pm

I make an easy pate with mackerel, cream cheese, herbs and capers.
That's tomorrow's lunch sorted.
I use tinned fish in fishcakes.

Postby Seatallan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:31 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I'm not big on tinned fish, other than tuna but J loves a stinky breakfast of tinned mackerel in olive oil on toast.
Says it's good for his heart and his brain.

I think he just likes the taste.

I do quite like dressed crab from a tin.

Mr S is just the same! He nearly always has tinned mackerel on toast for his brekkie.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Sunday tea at Auntie's ca 1962
First
Salad, or often just the cucumber and onion slices soaked in malt vinegar with S&P for an hour
Bread and butter
Canned salmon turned out into a pressed glass dish
Malt vinegar and salad cream for people to add to the salmon as they preferred

Second
Remaining bread and butter eaten with jam
Cake
Tinned peaches with tinned cream or evap

Being Black Country folk some ate bread and butter on the side with tinned fruit

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Think your auntie lived in our house Sue, in South Wales...... :D

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:14 pm

tinned fish in fishcakes.

Me too, haven't made any for ages.

Postby Busybee » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:26 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Sunday tea at Auntie's ca 1962
First
Salad, or often just the cucumber and onion slices soaked in malt vinegar with S&P for an hour
Bread and butter
Canned salmon turned out into a pressed glass dish
Malt vinegar and salad cream for people to add to the salmon as they preferred

Second
Remaining bread and butter eaten with jam
Cake
Tinned peaches with tinned cream or evap

Being Black Country folk some ate bread and butter on the side with tinned fruit

I’d say this is typical Yorkshire fare, especially the salad soaked in vinegar - known as Yorkshire Salad, it also had fresh mint added and used to sit in the fridge and served as an accompaniment to many meals, roast dinners included. Could never work out its appeal, although would probably like it now.

BB

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Busybee wrote:I’d say this is typical Yorkshire fare

Not in South Wales it wasn't!

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:59 pm

I like sardines on toast unheated. I find them a bit 'fishy' in some dishes but always enjoy them more than I think I will.

There are so many nice tins of fish. Lidl do fish - herrings I think - in various sauces including a mustard sauce - I'm very partial to those.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox