Register

Potted Hough

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Potted Hough

Postby liketocook » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:06 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Our village butcher in Norfolk used to make Pork Cheese in the summer. It was set in pudding basins and sold in that shape.The jelly separated from the meat so there was a distinct layer. It was a real treat.

It was many years before I learned that pork cheese and brawn (which we bought ready cut in rectangular slices with the meat spread evenly across the jelly) were the same thing!

Great recipe, ltc. I wish I had a big enough pan!

It would be fairly easy to scale down EM if you fancy a project. :)

Postby Suffs » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:41 pm

I've made brawn in the past using half a pig's head in a preserving pan ... Ma used to use half a brined/pickled pig's head ordered from the butcher ... only available from the village butcher in the autumn when he was salting pork hock and belly for 'petit sale' ... and that was always in the autumn as the weather began to cool ... you couldn't leave pork in brine in the heat of summer ... they didn't have the big chillers they have nowadays.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm

My East Anglian father loved brawn. As do I actually. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:58 pm

Our butcher only made pork cheese very ocassionally so word got out and people rushed to get some. It sounds as though it might have been that time of year rather than high summer but it was still the sort of weather you had salad. Curious now!

Yes, ltc. I'm feeling it should be something one tries at least once - like a proper pork pie! :lol: I must seek out a butcher.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Great - thanks for posting LTC. To be made soon :D OH will like it a lot. I've been eyeing up beef shin in one of the better more varied supermarket meat depts as it's one of my favourite cuts and happily still cheap - love all the 'cheap' cuts (not so cheap anymore - e.g. oxtail)and offally bits.

The family brawn recipe had small chopped chunks of pork and trotter skin set in the jelly, along with sliced hardboiled eggs and sometimes gherkins/cornichons or olives. Often a summer dish along with a cold lunch or supper buffet.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:31 pm

Our family brawn has to contain sliced pigs ear. :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:10 pm

Gosh, Zerocook, can you get shin on the bone in your supermarket? They must have a really proper butchery department!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:13 pm

Our Waitrose meat counter does beef shin on the bone and I’ve seen it in M&S food too.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:25 pm

Seatallan wrote:My East Anglian father loved brawn

As did my Welsh father, made 'properly' by a particular butcher in Swansea........!

I have never had Hough to my knowledge - unless called something else locally.

Suffs wrote:Our family brawn has to contain sliced pigs ear

I do like a bit of pigs ear.............which alarms most people..... :?

Postby Suffs » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:24 pm

I love all the chewy bits Luscious … I’d rather have them than toffee :yum

Postby ZeroCook » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:03 pm

Suffs wrote:Our family brawn has to contain sliced pigs ear. :

Only ever seen pigs ears commonly on sale in Spain. On asking I was yold the fry them there. Never had them but sound good. Like trotters when boiled?

Earthmaiden wrote:Gosh, Zerocook, can you get shin on the bone in your supermarket? They must have a really proper butchery department!

I was surprised. I had previously asked the same meat dept for lambs bits for DIY haggis but not to be had.

Postby Suffs » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:14 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
Suffs wrote:Our family brawn has to contain sliced pigs ear. :

Only ever seen pigs ears commonly on sale in Spain. On asking I was yold the fry them there. Never had them but sound good. Like trotters when boiled?….

Yes, but with a bit more ‘bite’ … like al dente pasta :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:58 pm

Suffs wrote:I love all the chewy bits Luscious … I’d rather have them than toffee

Snap......! Me too!! :thumbsup
There have been occasions when I have been called a 'dawg' :stfu .....am I bovvered? nope! they don't know what they're missing... :yum

In Spain they're cooked as a tapa - crispy & crunchy on the outside, soft & chewy on the inside.........more drooling................

Postby Suffs » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm

Drooling here too ... :yum

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Crispy pigs's ears are often served at St John Bread & Wine. :yum

Postby patpoyntz » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Crispy pigs's ears are often served at St John Bread & Wine. :yum

And a great favourite at Tom Kitchins ‘The Kitchin’ and his gastropub Scran and Scally. I love them.
Our Dalmatian used to get them for a treat, bought at our local pet shop…very inexpensive compared to the restaurant ones!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:02 am

patpoyntz wrote:
Badger's Mate wrote:Crispy pigs's ears are often served at St John Bread & Wine. :yum

And a great favourite at Tom Kitchins ‘The Kitchin’ and his gastropub Scran and Scally. I love them.
Our Dalmatian used to get them for a treat, bought at our local pet shop…very inexpensive compared to the restaurant ones!

My friends dog has a pigs ear as a treat as well - they get them from a local shop.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:00 pm

Does this mean I have to start shopping at pet stores.......?!?! :?
:lol:

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:28 pm

I've had them at The Kitchin and as Dim sum in Dundee, Seewoo in Glasgow used to sell them in their Butcher's section, no idea if they still do, not been since Covid.
I saw a mention of St John B&W elsewhere earlier in the week, Harry Styles went there for his birthday!

Postby liketocook » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:19 pm

MagicMarmite wrote: Seewoo in Glasgow used to sell them in their Butcher's section, no idea if they still do, not been since Covid.

They still did when DS2 visited last year as he got one for my sister's pooch. Said pooch wasn't initially very sure what to make of it before yanking it under the table so no one could pinch it!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox