Register

Frying pans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Frying pans

Postby Binky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 am

OH is our chef. He is asking for recommendations for a good quality frying pan that is guaranteed to be OK for temperatures up to 200 degrees C.

We have non-stick pans by Circulon but they start to stick and become denatured after a short while. That's because (he says) the hob temperature can exceed 180 deg C for a few mins and the damage is done. Most pans are only advised/guaranteed up to 180 deg C.

We used to have a fab pan by Prestige in their French Provincial range (stainless steel with wooden handles) but that and the others are long gone (wedding presents in 1976). We can't find anything like that on the market now.Most pans are non-stick these days and we don't want that any more.

Re: Frying pans

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:35 am

I currently have gas but I have said I will never buy another coated frying pan again
My plan is tri ply stainless steel, that s/s inside and out with a layer of other metal sandwiched between the two sheets of steel, they are much better than the kind where you can see a separate disk on the bottom, and most work on all hobs

They now make 5 ply, same idea, not sure if it’s any better

Good makes are All Clad and Le Creuset, but there are lots about now though some have non stick so you have to read the description

This is John Lewis own brand, as an example
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Postby Suelle » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:34 am

I don't recall ever seeing anything on either a label or buying guide about the temperature a frying pan gets to while frying. Most temperature guides seem to be for using a non-stick pan in the oven.

I recently gave up on a ceramic Green pan, as it was neither non-stick nor easy to clean, and on the advice of a friend who'd tried them, bought two sizes of these from Amazon, which are oven safe to 260C, so might be better on the hob too. My thinking was they were cheap enough to replace more frequently, if necessary:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089ZMS1Y ... ct_details

Sorry - just noticed you said you didn't want non-stick this time. I'll leave the post in case anyone else is interested in a recommendation.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby dennispc » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:58 am

Over the past year we’ve bought two frying pans and a wok which aren’t advertised as non stick, but are. Got them from John Lewis black ceramic with metal handles, which OH loves, being so useful for frittata. Not at home at the moment but she’s certain temperature is up to 220. However, JL only do plastic handles now.

As washer upper when OH cooks, apart from the metal stud on the inside of the pan holding the handle, they clean easily.

Postby liketocook » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:59 pm

I have 2 Pro Cook frying pans and love them. This one https://www.procook.co.uk/product/proco ... 0c8a87cc0e and one like this but deeper https://www.procook.co.uk/product/proco ... 3e51a34830 both are safe to 260C

Postby Suffs » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:47 pm

You may know that my OH works for ProCook. He says their uncoated pans are guaranteed safe up to 260C

He really recommends the Elite Tri-ply range, but says they're all fine ... https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/cookware ... nsskillets

Although they're shown here in sets, all are available individually.

NB ... he says one of the problems with coated pans is that if you use olive oil (even just the once) in them they can lose their 'non-stick' ness.
Despite having been told this by Him Who Knows, I can cofirm that this is true :oops:

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:32 pm

I've recommended them before.....Scanpans - absolutely brilliant!
I have various frying pan sizes plus roasters which get hammered - hob & oven, they're indestructible & still going strong after years of use........
https://www.scanpan.com/

They also wash like a dream!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:46 pm

Suffs wrote:NB ... he says one of the problems with coated pans is that if you use olive oil (even just the once) in them they can lose their 'non-stick' ness.
Despite having been told this by Him Who Knows, I can confirm that this is true :oops:

I think that may be what did for my small Greenpan fry pan, the deep chef pan and the shallow casserole are holding up better, probably because most cooking in them is at least finished by simmering liquid in them. There are different non-stick compounds, and I guess some would be affected more than others

I find that if they [eta the ceramic finish pans, not generic non-stick] need a deep clean Bar Keeper's Friend is the best thing, following a good soak

Postby Suffs » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:35 pm

He says it's to do with the lower smoke point of olive oil ... and he says that apparently the same is true of the 'spray oils' like One cal etc,he has been told that even on stainless steel these spray oils leave a very thin layer 'welded' to the pan surface which can cause 'sticking'.

ProCook have a very comprehensive User Guide and Care Instructions ... it should come automatically with online orders ... if not email and ask for a copy ... or ask in one of the shops. The staff are lovely ;)

Postby Binky » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 pm

I think OH is leaning towards the Pro Cook range. He thanks you for the info and recommendations. :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:36 pm

If my OH can be of any help to your OH you only have to yell … :thumbsup

Postby Kacey » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:57 pm

I have a very expensive All Clad frying pan, and its rarely used. Although I love the rest of my All Clads ( lucky me, I have another 4). I follow whichever famous chef it was who said buy cheap and chuck often as far as frying pans are concerned. I follow the same principle with duvets and pillows .

Postby miss mouse » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 pm

I have come to the conclusion that Ikea are as good as anything.

Postby smitch » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:10 am

I have the IKEA 365 range and love them.

I just bought a new pan so will keep in mind what suffs said about the oil sprays.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:18 am

I've been very pleased with IKEA too and would buy from there again. Pro cook are very good I think too.
Had no idea about the oil. Explains a lot!

Postby Rainbow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:42 am

I've had Circulon pans for years and had no problems with the non-stick coating. I use olive oil most of the time and it doesn't seem to have affected them - they are as 'non-sticky' as ever and I really like them.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 am

I'm not a big nonstick coating fan. I find that it just doesn't last or stand up to the way I cook. Can't be buying and tossing cookware - pointless and wasteful on so many levels.

I am a big cast iron cookware and Le Creuset fan, tho, and have several cast iron frying pans - including favourite ones with black interiors and wood handles - that I use all the time and they just can't be beaten for quality and versatility at all temperatures. I also have quite a few very ancient and very blackened seasoned cast iron pans that are magnificent too.

A good cast iron pan is every bit if not better than a dedicated nonstick pan IMO.

My other go to frying pans are a steel flat wok that has become seasoned over time and is basically non stick, and ditto a lined copper sautee pan with a brass handle that is wonderful.
Last edited by ZeroCook on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 am

I've had to give up on all my cast iron stuff unless I have elves helping me. Even when they're not painful my hands won't lift and grip properly any more. I'm suffering at the moment from having to chop the marmalade peel by hand. I'm back in splints

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 am

That's tough, PP. The thin copper or steel sautee type pans are pretty lightweight. Sounds like you need some elves to chop your marmalade peel 8-)

PS If you boil the orange peels before chopping, makes the job loads easier

Postby scullion » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:15 pm

i have a small le creuset and another bigger cast iron, the larger is heavy but cope-able with for me. i take plates to it rather than the other way round - and i wouldn't dream of tossing pancakes with it.
i have a greenpan wok and sauté pan and have had no problem with them becoming non stick even though i use light olive oil in them but maybe that's because other, wetter ingredients go in after the frying has been done and i don't usually use them at highest temperatures. i love them.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox