Register

Frying pans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Frying pans

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:15 pm

I've got a couple of Lodge cast iron frying pans - the old style that you have to season. My problem with them is cooking anything with tinned tomatoes, and having the seasoning I've built up stripped away - I'm neurotic about it. I have a couple of stainless ones for such cooking, and a couple of non stick, for really delicate fish cooking.

Postby WolfGirl » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:28 pm

I really love my Green Pan small sauté pan. Nothing sticks, I usually use light olive oil, sometimes with a knob of butter added depending on what I am cooking. I’ve had it a few years now and it still looks like new. It washes like a dream.
I’m looking to get a wok from the same range if I ever see one on offer.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Totally agree, Gruney. I never cook tomatoey things in cast iron or patina-ed pans and ditto on stainless steel (heavy saucepans/pots) for those. My passed down collection of blackened pans are similar to Lodge, but I don't use them everyday as they do need neurotic care, the two really large ones especially. I generally don't really cook very liquidy dishes in them either. The le creusets are fine with absolutely anything.

I have a couple if very small enamelled le creuset frying pans which are useless for anything except melting butter in :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:19 am

In this house there's a Circulon omelette/small frying pan and a second-hand Woll sauté pan, which I think are both hard anodised. They seem pretty durable. I acquired a big Prestige SS frying pan when we got together, but everything stuck to it and gave it to a charity shop when we were given the Woll. I had bought a cheap & cheerful nonstick omelette pan that worked for years but wore out and was replaced by the Circulon. Perfluorinated coatings can be degraded by extreme heat but I think the sticking problems otherwise are due to lacquering or abrasion rather than degradation. I suppose that purely cast iron pans such as skillets could be cleaned in a paralytic or pyromaniac oven.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox