Register

Tearless onions

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tearless onions

Postby Meganthemog » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:44 pm

What do you think about these? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... irst-time/
As someone who has incredibly sensitive eyes, I welcome their arrival on our supermarket shelves. If I try to chop onions, I end up with tears streaming down my face and stinging eyes for ages after. I have tried every 'trick' to stop it but nothing helps. I will have to take a trip to Waitrose.

Re: Tearless onions

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:54 pm

A very attractive prospect indeed!

Postby Suffs » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:55 pm

We use a lot of onions... at least 2lbs a week for the two of us, often more, and I must say that the only time they bother me at all is if I'm using newly harvested ones that haven't been stored and dried out a bit. I don't think I'll be tempted.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:56 pm

I can't read the article...

Do swimming goggles not work?

I have no problem whatsoever with onions as long as I have my contact lenses in.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:03 pm

I don't own swimming goggles. I take onions into the garden if I'm doing a lot, the fresh air solves the problem. Discovering the slicer on my food processor dealt with cutting large amounts.

It's peeling them that I really hate.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 pm

I bought myself and another member of WF (Teri - who sadly lost her battle with cancer) special goggles for chopping onions... they had a sponge filter round the frame and worked very well. However, they were no good if you wore glasses all the time. I did enquire at my local optician if they could replace the lens with one that I could see through but sadly not.

I have noticed though that if I ever need to store half an onion in the fridge, that I can chop that when I need it without the burning/watering eyes issue. I haven't tested this for whole onions as I don't really have that much room in my fridge.

When daughter was living with me, I could call on her to chop my onions as she got no reaction at all ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:26 pm

Suffs wrote:We use a lot of onions... at least 2lbs a week for the two of us, often more, and I must say that the only time they bother me at all is if I'm using newly harvested ones that haven't been stored and dried out a bit. I don't think I'll be tempted.

I don't use that many onions but agree with the overall picture

Also, I'm pretty sure that many of the veg seed catalogues my father and i had in the 20th century contained a tearless onion, none of them returned for many seasons

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:32 pm

Like Herbi, when I wore contact lenses I could chop away with no tears, but now I wear glasses it's not like that any more.
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Busybee » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:39 pm

Mary Berry swears by storing in a fridge to stop the tears. Like Suffs I only suffer if they are freshly lifted out of the garden, any that have been stored either at home or commercially don’t bother me.

BB

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:05 pm

I've got some excellent welding goggles which would probably do the job................... :thumbsup

Just a thought...........

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 pm

Those would do the job, I've got a pair somewhere

Or like this

Postby scullion » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:41 pm

when our son was about six he wanted to help with dinner so i asked him if he wanted to chop onions (yup, mean mother) he said he did and went straight to get his swimming googles before starting. i was impressed.
you can get prescription swimming goggles ... i bought half a dozen pairs of swans from eBay once (incredibly cheap) when we were all training, which included a pair - i think i may still have them.
like these but i can't remember the prescription of mine. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133989925471?hash=item1f326c025f:g:D~cAAOSwwC9h3CU1
i rarely suffer from onions and we go through a lot, too, so i doubt i'll be buying any.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:52 pm

I get my husband to chop onions if I have my glasses on :) (He wears contact lenses too. Hard ones, and thus smaller, but they still seem to do the job, unless he is just immune, somehow.) He actually does quite a good job of it!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:36 pm

I really struggle with onions.
I have tried everything and the tears always stream down my face.

I generally ask J to deal with them, he has no problem.
Might have to investigate these new fangled things.

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:41 am

Isn't it odd? I chop onions by the dozen especially in chutney season and very rarely have any sort of reaction.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox