Register

soup makers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: soup makers

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:47 am

The soup maker I was looking at was £64.50. I have not spent any of my (much much bigger than that) bonus.
I have room but, do I want to use it?

I feel like my poor mother must feel when I talk her out of buying all those things from those gadget magazines that she wants to buy :)

tbh (to myself) I think I could have given myself all those disincentives. Watching the promo, it's really just a heated blender...?!? Buying one would also be the culinary equivalent of buying a dress that's a bit too small in the hope that you slim into it. I am not a big soup eater, although like the idea of being. (Although as, mentioned, husband does eat soup every day. Was hoping - also a bit like the too-small dress - that he might use it.)

I wish I had been on here when I was tempted to by a deep fat fryer. Now that really was a waste of money!

re smoothness, if I make a soup, I never blend it. Too much effort. I think this gadget blends according to how blended you want it, so it would not be totally smooth if you didn't want it to be.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm

Via his work DS1 bought me a Cuisinart one. I used it twice. It was the biggest palaver ever getting it of the main stem without spilling soup everywhere and it was so heavy. I passed it on to one of DD2's friends. She made a killing on ebay.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:07 pm

herbidacious wrote:I am sceptical too, which is why I was wondering if those who have bought/used them (if anyone has on here) thinks they are really worth it.

Oart of what puts me off making soup is that I can't be bothered with blenders and the like.

One thing that makes me even more sceptical is that it's not going to brown the onions. (I was so disappointed with the slow cooker when I realized you really needed to do this separately...)

I enjoy cooking (obvs) - I enjoy the different stages in making something, but soup... maybe it is one thing where pretty much pressing a button to make it would be a good thing.

It's the Instant Pot for me ; this sauteés the onions if you want it to, add everything else you want, then set to pressure cook for 30 mins. Then I too use the Bamix to blitz everything as I prefer smooth soups. :yum
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I tend to use the IP (and a stick blender where necessary). That way, onions can be browned, soup cooked and liquidised in the same pan.

You beat me to it BM ;) :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:18 pm

I hadn’t appreciated quite how big they are until I saw the video

That makes it a definite No, especially as most of it’s functions can indeed be done in the IP with the stick blender to finish if needed

Postby Suffs » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:23 pm

Ever since my big 'life change' when I swapped a series of large country kitchens for smaller city ones, I made a sort of rule never to have single use equipment ... if something wasn't multi-functional it wasn't for me ... even the toaster has a 'bun warmer' rack to go on top and sandwich toasting thingummies that fit in the slots.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:36 pm

Another advantage of the 'IP plus stick blender' approach is that both are extremely easy to wash.

I made a sort of rule never to have single use equipment ... if something wasn't multi-functional it wasn't for me

This was one of the reasons I bought the IP, to replace a stove top pressure cooker and a broken crock pot. So glad I did, it gets used lots. There's a brace of partridge cooking in it this afternoon; it made beetroot soup for lunch this morning. :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:32 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Another advantage of the 'IP plus stick blender' approach is that both are extremely easy to wash.

I made a sort of rule never to have single use equipment ... if something wasn't multi-functional it wasn't for me

This was one of the reasons I bought the IP, to replace a stove top pressure cooker and a broken crock pot. So glad I did, it gets used lots. There's a brace of partridge cooking in it this afternoon; it made beetroot soup for lunch this morning. :D
a

I did exactly the same ... gave away my old hob top pressure cooker and electric slow cooker and keep my IP on a work top so it's always there when I need it. (My Bamix has a permanent space on the work top too for the same reason)

Yesterday I made braised red cabbage (30 mins) , steamed 2 large potatoes ready to mash (12 minutes), then at the last minute, put broccoli on a dish holding frozen peas to which I had added some sauteéd, chopped spring onions and pressure cooked them for 1 minute ..

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox