Register

Looking for inspiration.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Looking for inspiration.

Postby Pommes » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi All,
Having eaten poultry/game over Christmas D. has requested Salmon for dinner tomorrow. It was fresh when I bought it, but is now in the freezer. I usually make a salmon en croute with the 2 salmon steaks, but now looking for inspiration for to do something a bit different. Any ideas will be welcome. Thank you in advance.

Pommes.

Re: Looking for inspiration.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi Pommes, I got this from a friend, who got it from a friend ...

Roasted Salmon Fillets with a Crusted Pecorino and Pesto Topping
This recipe, invented by my good friend Lin Cooper, started life under the grill, but now, in my attempt to more or less eliminate the grill, I'm happy to say that it cooks very happily and easily in a high oven.
One word of warning, though: it works much better with fresh pesto sauce from supermarkets than it does with the bottled kind.

Serves 2
Ingredients
2 x 5-6 oz (150-175 g) salmon fillets, about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick, skinned
1 rounded tablespoon finely grated Pecorino cheese
2 level tablespoons fresh pesto sauce
juice ½ lemon
2 level tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
salt and freshly milled black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 8, 450°F (230°C).
Equipment
You will also need a baking tray measuring 10 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35 cm), covered in foil and lightly oiled.

Method
Begin by trimming the fillets if needed, and run your hand over the surface of the fish to check that there aren't any stray bones lurking. Now place the fish on the prepared baking tray and give each one a good squeeze of lemon juice and a seasoning of salt and pepper.
Next, give the pesto a good stir and measure 2 tablespoons into a small bowl, mix one-third of the breadcrumbs with it to form a paste and spread this over both fish fillets. Then, mix half the cheese with the remaining breadcrumbs and scatter this over the pesto, then finish off with the remaining cheese.
Now place the baking tray on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 10 minutes, by which time the top should be golden brown and crispy and the salmon just cooked and moist.

Serve with steamed new potatoes.

Postby MariaK » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:00 pm

That looks good KCook

Christmas Eve is a day of abstinence in Poland so it has to be fish - for us usually salmon, beurre blanc & small fairly firm potatoes. This year I was lazy so bought a ready made sorrel sauce from the fish monger - it was very good. She also gave me loads of salmon bones, heads etc. which are sitting in the freezer waiting to be made into stock and soup.
I also like creamed leeks with salmon

Cooking the salmon:season the fish, leave skin on. Melt some clarified butter or a little oil and butter in a frying pan. Cook the fish skin side down . When it's almost done flip it over to brown lightly & serve. Couldn't be easier.

Left over salmon : make a leek and salmon quiche.

All the best in the year to come

Marja

Postby Suelle » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 pm

I'd recommend a pesto crumb topping too - I usually just mix pesto and panko breadcrumbs.

I also like salmon in a risotto (cream and parmesan cheese optional with fish). I once followed a recipe which added cubes of peeled and de-seeded cucumber, but generally add things like leeks and/or peas - whatever you think is good with salmon.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby janetmw » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:41 pm

If you don't mind chopping the salmon up, this recipe is very popular in our house.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sup ... urgers/amp

Janet
Janet

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 pm

My go-to is salmon teriyaki with stir-fried veg & noodle/rice or salad which is what we'll be having in the next day or two - tired of meat here too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Salmon teriyaki would be my shout too, but we went for a curry at the start of December and I had salmon shashlik. This was rather good, so maybe some sort of tandoori-style dish?

Postby Seatallan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:09 pm

Oooh! All those recipes look fab... :yum

If you fancy something simple, a mid-week fave of ours is salmon steaks marinaded in a mixture of rice wine & soy sauce. Stick them in the marinade a few hours before you cook them (enough marinade to just cover the steaks). Pan fry the salmon (skin side down initially to get the skin nice & crispy), add the marinade when you flip the salmon steaks over, cook steaks the way you like them, reduce the sauce (I usually add some Chinese rice vinegar at that stage too along with a little demerera sugar), pour sauce over salmon and serve with noodles (dribbled with sesame oil & some sesame seeds) and an oriental-style salad or stir-fry veg.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Before OH went off spiced food I used to make this one a lot using cooked salmon rather than smoked. It's very good.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/eas ... n-kedgeree

Postby Pampy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:20 pm

I marinate salmon in a tikka marinade then cook in the oven. I also do a soy, lemon, honey and sesame seed glazed salmon in my air fryer - but I'm sure it would cook well in the oven.
Both are very easy to do.

Postby Lokelani » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:34 pm

I tend to alternate between prawns & salmon with chilli, garlic & lime linguine.

I fry onions, then the garlic, add chopped red chilli, zest & juice of a lime, fresh parsley if I have some still alive in the garden and some olive oil. Boil the pasta & whatever green veg I have in. Then put the plain fried or oven baked salmon on top. If I want to bulk it out a bit I add some olives.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:38 pm

For skin-on wild salmon, I find the flavour so wonderful that the less done to it the better. My pref is to very lightly dust the skin with flour to prevent sticking, and a light sprinkling of dried fines herbes or very mild herbs and/or melange poisson (mild dried herbs with some fennel and bay) on the non skin side. A simple hot pan fry to sizzle and sear in a little olive or oil of choice skin side down first then turn over to finish.

eta: great with tartare sauce or similar along with homemade chips/frites or simple rice of choice, or fresh bread or rolls.

Left over salmon: California roll style sushi

Postby Pommes » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Thank you all for your lovely suggestions. I certainly have plenty of new ideas to be going on with.

Thank you,

Pommes.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox