Register

Oops!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Oops!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:08 am

I was reading of more rotten turkeys this year - sold in plastic bags by reputable supermarkets up to a week ago with a use by date of 27th. Many did not remove them from the bag until yesterday. Whilst many of us might not have been so trusting, those who follow dates religiously should have been able to do so safely.

Someone I worked with bought a chicken that you cook in the bag which turned out to be off when the bag was opened at the end of cooking. All the accompaniments were ready and the family sitting at the table. I don't trust leaving such things in bags until the last minute!

Postby scullion » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:39 pm

talking of power cuts - one village (at least) near us had their power off yesterday.

Postby aero280 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:43 pm

OH warmed slice of stollen in the microwave yesterday. Somehow she pushed the “10 min” button instead of the “10 sec” button. By the time she realised the marzipan was boiling nicely! :o

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:14 pm

aero280 wrote:OH warmed slice of stollen in the microwave yesterday. Somehow she pushed the “10 min” button instead of the “10 sec” button. By the time she realised the marzipan was boiling nicely! :o

This reminds me of our daughter when she was a teenager.

We had a microwave combi oven and one of it's main uses was to cook part-baked baguettes and petite pan rolls. I returned home one day to a smokey kitchen, a distinct smell of burning, the inside of the microwave blackened and what can only be described as 2 charcoal briquettes sitting inside on the rack. To this day daughter swears blind she only set the timer for 4 minutes......I have very strong doubts! The microwave was ruined.

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:11 am

Off bird is not a nice way to greet the big cooking day :o

Good prez, Gill. What sort is it? And one day I will make curried leftover turkey.

aero280 wrote:OH warmed slice of stollen in the microwave yesterday. Somehow she pushed the “10 min” button instead of the “10 sec” button. By the time she realised the marzipan was boiling nicely! :o

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Earthmaiden wrote:Someone I worked with bought a chicken that you cook in the bag which turned out to be off when the bag was opened at the end of cooking. All the accompaniments were ready and the family sitting at the table. I don't trust leaving such things in bags until the last minute!

Yeugh E-Maiden! Not good. Especially at table. :stfu

I have had very good fresh organic turkey from Wholefoods the past few years - I always use their free Prime trial, which is otherwise mostly redundant for me, to get about 25-30% off. Well, you just have to, innit, given the money they rake in. Civic duty :lol: This year tho, I went to pick up bird at my time slot from the Holiday Table three days before the big day and it was frozen :o :shock: - was told they always keep them just below freezing point at -3C which apparently doesn't freeze them - just very cold. The customer sevrice woman said just thaw it out in a basin of cold water. Really? Turns out they had dialled the storage temp in their fridges a tad low. I did find one in the general meat dept which wasn't frozen. Complained to the manager shock horror and got a $50 gift card for my upset :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:22 am

Glad to hear they rectified the problem nicely for you, Zero.
I got a bit of money off my turkey unintentionally.
Cashback on my card of 10%, when I used Donald Russell.

The chapatti maker is a this style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRq-o2_GDZw

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:03 pm

Not a bad unintentional discount, Gill. And wow on that chapati maker - that's impressive! Would make great tortillas and pita too. Have you tried it yet and does you bread puff up like the youtube demo cook's?

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:23 pm

Well I'm not sure about pittas - maybe?

I couldn't get chapatti or atta flour, so used good old wholemeal.
The ratio I tried was wrong, 1 cup water: 2 cups flour (and oil for softness) made a sticky batter. So I added much more flour.

Difficult to get the rounds right & neat when you're in that sticky predicament.

But what a jolly fun gadget. Warning. Fiercely hot, I touched the outside momentarily with my thumb, and it stings.

You can spin the chapatti with your hands, like the video and flip too.
Although I have a silicone spatula
And because I added oil to the simple mix, they are foldable

No they didn't puff like the video when I rested the lid, but I put that down to the wrong flour.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:28 pm

They look wonderful all the same, Gill!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:03 pm

Ta!
The chapatti results are nice and simple, so can't complain.
Just have to work out the best way to reheat them. Either zapped in the nuclear reactor, or into a warm oven, neatly covered for a short while so they don't dry out.

Postby Pampy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:43 pm

The chapatis my (Indian) friend makes look very similar to those, Gill. Hers might be a bit more charred. She makes them in a tawa pan.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:01 am

I think these would have charred more if I'd used atta flour, Pampy.
And they were delicious last night. I was very proud of them.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:06 am

Those are fine looking chapatis, Gill. Actually, chapatis don't generally puff up iirc - no leavening and high gluten wholewheat flour, especially atta. Clever contraption - two temperature -controlled hot surfaces so no need to flip over. You'll be playing with the temperature knob and timings to see how that affects the results, I'll guess. Wouldn't mind playing around with that gizmo! The chapatis will certainly spot char if you re-heat in a very hot pan for a very short time - that's how I usually reheat flat bread - I have a thin, blackened, originally tin-lined copper saute pan that has basically become non-stick over time. I'm a high heat cook! Actually might work as well on the gizmo if you heat it to the max.

I find flat breads and flat bread making very interesting -I use a heavy cast iron round griddle/comal/tawa pan - same thing different names. It can get get very hot if not careful - very easy to scorch. I mainly make naan and flour tortillas which are like roti, and sometimes pita, which are a lot of fun as they do puff up - you have to flip (if using a single surface), flip again and wait until hot air between the dough surfaces fully expands to create a pocket. Bet the gizmo would produce good pita bread too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:17 am

My le Creuset iron frying pan was excellent for that style of breads, Zero.
Naans particularly.

The gizmo does have potential for sure.
Parathas, pancakes, Sloe Gin and her drop scones, tortillas, wafer thin cut vegetables perhaps?

I'd certain recommend it on first impressions.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox